The Student Room Group

Is Animal Crossing (Nintendo Switch) worth the money?

I've been considering buying Animal Crossing for the Nintendo Switch for a few months, but I don't know if it's worth the money. What do you actually do in Animal Crossing? Would a 21 year-old female like me enjoy it?
I haven't played any previous versions of Animal Crossing, so not sure what to expect.
I have similar aged female friends who love it, did you try Zelda on the switch?
(As they spent months on Zelda)
Original post by LuigiMario
I have similar aged female friends who love it, did you try Zelda on the switch?
(As they spent months on Zelda)

No, I am yet to buy a Nintendo Switch :biggrin:. I haven't played any games for years. I used to love my Nintendo DS though, I was a hardcore Nintendogs kind of girl :rofl:.
Got three switches, 2 older models & 1 lite, the older models allowed to play Zelda etc on a big screen, whilst animal X-ing seems to work ok on the lite. If you have hundreds of free pounds, it’s not a bad platform.

Check for special bundles etc, or see if people are reselling their “lockdown” switches, Nintendo sold-out of everything during the pandemic peak, must be some who no longer need it, now they can leave the house etc (a bit)
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
I've been considering buying Animal Crossing for the Nintendo Switch for a few months, but I don't know if it's worth the money. What do you actually do in Animal Crossing? Would a 21 year-old female like me enjoy it?
I haven't played any previous versions of Animal Crossing, so not sure what to expect.

Are you going to buy a Nintendo switch just for ACHN?
I wouldn't say it lacks content, they are just adding it in a different way. This makes very little difference to people like me who don't time-travel as content took time to unlock anyway in previous games.
Reply 6

check out some yt 'let's play's, you'll get the idea. it's not a particularly exciting game, more of a need-to-destress game. you build your own town, visit other people's towns etc.
I'm the same age as you and personally its one of my favourite games :yes: I believe Nintendo are still releasing updatesx plus its pretty addictive once you get going - e.g. bc of lockdown I've played 250 hours so far :redface: I'll echo everyone else above whose mentioned check out some of the let's plays. The only thing that might limit the game is if you don't have Nintendo Switch online subscription, which you need to travel to other people's islands to get things like fruit/trade with them. It's still fun ti play without the membership though :smile: I was very grateful to receive it as a birthday present, so I didn't have to pay the ridiculous price for it though

Spoiler

Original post by 1st superstar
Are you going to buy a Nintendo switch just for ACHN?

No, I'm going to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and also the RingFit games as well.
No, I'm going to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and also the RingFit games as well.

Then get the game if you like it look at gameplay, read reviews etc
I'd defo go for it!! i've been a longtime player so buying it wasn't really a question, but I'd 100% say it's worth the money. i bought it on release date (same day schools shut) and i've gotten my moneys worth of play and beyond in my opinion. it's a nice chill game that doesn't require a ton of thinking or effort, so it's a good way to wind down for the day!
I’ve put in over 200 hours so I’d say I enjoy it lol
Reply 12
Very worth it.
Original post by Ciel.
check out some yt 'let's play's, you'll get the idea. it's not a particularly exciting game, more of a need-to-destress game. you build your own town, visit other people's towns etc.

Original post by procrastinatingb
I'd defo go for it!! i've been a longtime player so buying it wasn't really a question, but I'd 100% say it's worth the money. i bought it on release date (same day schools shut) and i've gotten my moneys worth of play and beyond in my opinion. it's a nice chill game that doesn't require a ton of thinking or effort, so it's a good way to wind down for the day!

Yeah that's why I have been wanting buy it- to help me de-stress and the fact it doesn't require much brain power. I have just ordered it :biggrin:

I think it's harder for someone who's never played it to get into it to be totally honest, though don't let that put you off if you're interested in it.
I grew up with it on the DS so I understand the point of the game (if there is one). I played it for a long time with a friend of mine and we somehow got a lot of hours out of the game (I still have the DS and my save game). There isn't really a game like it. It doesn't have any set goals other than paying off your mortgage. It's kind of like the Tamagotchi where you would just check on it and look after it for the fun of it. You make it what you want to make it. It's a casual game so you pop onto it when you want, particularly for events. Going onto ACNH is about checking on your little village/creation and on your favourite villagers which sometimes catch you off guard with things they say, which can make you laugh or smile. They can be quite witty sometimes! :lol: The villagers have a great way of making you feel welcome and appreciated, like they will say how they've missed you or say how great you are so it's very positive mentally too. They also recognise when you've been working on the island and thank-you for it.

This is the first (?) Animal Crossing game where you can actually manipulate the environment and change the island almost entirely, so that often keeps you busy and gets your creative juices flowing. And they added being able to swim which is fun and new for me. But yeah, it's a game you come back to here and there but even the most die hard fans admit to getting a little bored sometimes, but the events help with that. There is quite a bit of repetition but some people like that.

If you want a game that you can kind of retreat to to destress and forget about the outside world for a while and where you're always welcome, then it's good. After all, the game was kind of made with that in mind; a place that makes you feel at home. I'm not sure if it's worth the price of the game and console but I bought it largely for that nostalgia. Maybe get it second hand? It's more worth the money of the console if you're interested in other games on the Switch, there are definitely some good games coming to the Switch that may interest you, as well as some free games.

Also, word of warning, the beginning of the game which lasts a couple of days can feel a bit of a grind and maybe a bit off putting as you're limited in what you can do but just enjoy the process and give it time and eventually you'll get into it.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest