The Student Room Group

Not sure where to go from here

Hi, I am 20 year old and I finished my first year of computer animation but having doubts of this degree and wondering what wonder be the better direction for the type of future I want to head towards. I went into this degree because I just felt like that's what I wanted to do at the time and that it was the right choice but now I'm worried about what's going to happen after the degree and how it would be work in this sort of industry because I know how competitive it is and how the pay isn't great. Because the type of future I want to aim for is to do something that is more secure and pays better so I'm just unsure if what I'm doing is right for me now. Computer animation is fine and I've been finding it easy but makes me wonder if it's worth doing it. If didn't do computer animation, I would have gone into something in Information technology. I'm alright at maths as I have an A in alevel if that helps you understand what I good at. The choices I'm thinking of are:

continue the degree and aim to get a first class and just see what the future will be like after the degree. Maybe also do some other course along the side but not sure what to do.

apply for another degree but the way the UK loan system works, it would means that I will most likely have to repay double the loan and for longer as I will be moved to the new payment plan (plan 5) that was introduced this year. I am on plan 2 right now so I'm wondering if it's just better to stay on this course since I'm good at it. The worst case is moving to another degree and I hate it and end up wasting more money.

finish the degree and do a masters in something

drop the degree and get into an apprenticeship or something else

another choice I'm not thinking off

Thanks for reading. I'm just unsure right now.
Hi there, I think that there are a number of reasonable ways to approach this and so you can come up with different, sound answers.

1. It seems like you do like computer animation so you can stick to it and hope that you can get a job to your taste within that field. Are you expected to build a portfolio of computer animations? Maybe now's a good time to start doing that. Or are there any internships or work experiences you could do that might aid you in securing a job in computer animation after you finish your degree? Alternatively, by the mere fact of having a university degree under your belt you can apply to a wide range of jobs - think HR, IT, marketing... - that aren't degree specific. They might not be the most glamorous in the world but they will generally be stable and decently paid. Look at graduate schemes.

2. If you think you'll be better off doing another degree, make sure you change to a degree that will be "better" for your future but still one you'll enjoy. I would have advised you to not worry too much about student finance (since it will still be a tax on future earnings, you'll either make enough money to pay it so why worry, or you won't make enough money to pay it and it will be forgiven - in slightly longer time, yes, but still written off, so why worry) BUT you're probably starting your second year at university now. Student finance has all sorts of weird rules which I don't particularly know very well, but I think that you may potentially be liable for paying the tuition fees for one year of your new course. This will be dependant on a number of factors though so best to check with student finance. Although if you genuinely believe that this is the best route for your future, I think you just have to find a way to make it work and hope that you made the right decision.

3. Yep, that seems logical, although there are a number of things you can do with your degree as I covered in point 1 that don't involve masters. Probably not the brightest of ideas unless you want a masters very badly or are eyeing up a job that will require you to have one.

4. Also a sound idea, but if you choose this path the same advice that I said about switching courses applies - make sure it's something that will help your future but also something you'll enjoy. I think you really ought to analyse your aspirations in life and decided if they're better served by going to university or doing an apprenticeship! The decision is up to you, of course. Give it some thought and don't rush! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending