The Student Room Group

Access Arrangements Question

Hey,

I have both a reader and a scribe for my GCSE (As well as Prompt, rest breaks, extra time and enlarged papers/diagrams!).
Can they read my answer back to me? As in can, they see if it's possible to read it? Especially in maths as that's the only one I'll write in?

Thanks,
Emily :smile:
Reply 1
Yes. The rules are below.
The rules the use of a reader
may enable a vision impaired candidate to identify diagrams, graphs and tables but must not give factual information nor offer any suggestions, other than the information which would be available on the paper for sighted candidates;
may read numbers printed in figures as words (e.g. 356 would be read as three hundred and fifty six, but when reading the number it should also be pointed to on the question paper). An exception would be when the question is asking for a number to be written in words (e.g. write the number 356 in words);
may decode symbols and unit abbreviations in Maths and Science examinations for candidates who require this arrangement in order to access the assessment and where it reflects the candidate’s current and normal way of working within the centre;
may, if requested, give the spelling of a word which appears on the paper but otherwise spellings must not be given;
may read back, when requested, what the candidate has written without any emphasis on any errors;
must read accurately;
must have appropriate subject knowledge in order to act effectively as a reader in Maths and Science examinations, and decode symbols and formulae with accuracy;
must only read the instructions of the question paper and questions, and must not
explain or clarify;
must only repeat the instructions of the question paper or questions when a candidate indicates a specific need for help;
must only read the instructions/rubric of a paper testing reading and must not read individual questions or text;
must abide by the regulations since failure to do so could lead to the disqualification of the candidate;
must not advise the candidate regarding which questions to do, when to move on to the next question, nor the order in which questions should be answered;
must not decode any symbols in a Music examination
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Yes. The rules are below.
The rules the use of a reader
may enable a vision impaired candidate to identify diagrams, graphs and tables but must not give factual information nor offer any suggestions, other than the information which would be available on the paper for sighted candidates;
may read numbers printed in figures as words (e.g. 356 would be read as three hundred and fifty six, but when reading the number it should also be pointed to on the question paper). An exception would be when the question is asking for a number to be written in words (e.g. write the number 356 in words);
may decode symbols and unit abbreviations in Maths and Science examinations for candidates who require this arrangement in order to access the assessment and where it reflects the candidate’s current and normal way of working within the centre;
may, if requested, give the spelling of a word which appears on the paper but otherwise spellings must not be given;
may read back, when requested, what the candidate has written without any emphasis on any errors;
must read accurately;
must have appropriate subject knowledge in order to act effectively as a reader in Maths and Science examinations, and decode symbols and formulae with accuracy;
must only read the instructions of the question paper and questions, and must not
explain or clarify;
must only repeat the instructions of the question paper or questions when a candidate indicates a specific need for help;
must only read the instructions/rubric of a paper testing reading and must not read individual questions or text;
must abide by the regulations since failure to do so could lead to the disqualification of the candidate;
must not advise the candidate regarding which questions to do, when to move on to the next question, nor the order in which questions should be answered;
must not decode any symbols in a Music examination

Thanks! So just to confirm, can I ask "Can you read this or not?" or "would the marker be able to read this?"
Reply 3
Original post by 15977emily
Thanks! So just to confirm, can I ask "Can you read this or not?" or "would the marker be able to read this?"

No, you can only ask them to read it back. Markers are generally really good at deciphering what candidates have put - if your reader can read it then I'm sure the marker will be able to
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
No, you can only ask them to read it back. Markers are generally really good at deciphering what candidates have put - if your reader can read it then I'm sure the marker will be able to

So, a way around it would be asking them to read it back to me?
Reply 5
So, a way around it would be asking them to read it back to me?

yes - and if they can do then the marker (who knows what they're expecting and is part way through weeks of deciphering terrible handwriting) will be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
yes - and if they can do then the marker (who knows what they're expecting and is part way through weeks of deciphering terrible handwriting) will be fine.

Thanks! How would a reader read back the maths to me?
I know there's lots of questions but I had my first Maths Mock today!
Reply 7
Thanks! How would a reader read back the maths to me?
I know there's lots of questions but I had my first Maths Mock today!

As you have quite a complex set of access arrangements, I recommend you ask to talk to your SENCo, or exams officer or someone else who definitely knows the rules and options, to discuss what you're entitled to, how it all works and what you want to use and how. After each set of mocks you should have the chance to tweak exactly what you're using based on what works.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
As you have quite a complex set of access arrangements, I recommend you ask to talk to your SENCo, or exams officer or someone else who definitely knows the rules and options, to discuss what you're entitled to, how it all works and what you want to use and how. After each set of mocks you should have the chance to tweak exactly what you're using based on what works.

Thanks! I will do :smile:
I have my exams invigilator as my reader and scribe so she knows what I need roughly. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest