The Student Room Group

HE Access in Health & Welfare NWRC

I’m starting the part time He access in health and welfare this week as a very mature student (39) but I’m very excited.
Has anyone done this course at NWRC? Any reading materials I should pick up?
How did you find the course?
I already have my GCSE maths, English and science in grade C but will I have to do the maths portion of the course?
I’m hoping to advance on to uni after the 2 year access course so any insight would be helpful :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Dmcgeogs
I’m starting the part time He access in health and welfare this week as a very mature student (39) but I’m very excited.
Has anyone done this course at NWRC? Any reading materials I should pick up?
How did you find the course?
I already have my GCSE maths, English and science in grade C but will I have to do the maths portion of the course?
I’m hoping to advance on to uni after the 2 year access course so any insight would be helpful :smile:

I haven't done health and welfare as an Access course, but I have done an Access course before. If you conside that relevant, let me know and I would share my experience with you.

39 is not very mature. I wouldn't consider a person very mature until they hit their 50s.

Just out of interest, what degree do you intend to do? The Access course seems kind of a unique choice.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I haven't done health and welfare as an Access course, but I have done an Access course before. If you conside that relevant, let me know and I would share my experience with you.

39 is not very mature. I wouldn't consider a person very mature until they hit their 50s.

Just out of interest, what degree do you intend to do? The Access course seems kind of a unique choice.

Yes please share your experience :smile:

I’m hoping to go on a do nursing
Original post by Dmcgeogs
Yes please share your experience :smile:

Any reading materials I should pick up?
A typical access course would have its own reading material arranged. Whilst you can do extra reading on the side, without knowing what specific books they have in the course, it's difficult to say.
The reading material is often arranged by the tutors at the specific college as opposed to the central exam body.

I can't comment on this because it doesn't outline the course content. You would need to contact the college to check.

When I did my Access course, we went through the basic maths content just to refresh and put more context on the maths content that we will be doing. They also did lessons on academic writing, something you would need to write in a particular style appropriate for uni. So yes, you woudl like do the maths and English portion of the course, despite meeting the GCSE entry requirements.

I’m hoping to go on a do nursing
Nursing is generally a type of degree that would accept anyone with Level 3 qualifications (or more appropriately to the equivalent to 3 A Levels). The qualification can be in any subject generally (at least in the UK, but I'm confident it's the same in Northern Ireland).
See the following for one of QUB's nursing degree as an example: https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/professional-nursing-adult-nursing-bsc-b740/#entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending