The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

ADHD, autism and dyslexia support

Hi I have an offer to study BSc Geography at Hull in 2023.

I want to know about the ADHD, autism and dyslexia support available? And the opinions of it from a student perspective.

Is support easily accessible? Are they accommodating? Are there peer groups available? Are there mentors/counsellors available to talk to regularly and support you? What can you use your DSA for? What support can you access on a student support plan?

This is kind of my deciding factor between unis so I'm curious to know as much as I can. Thanks
Hii. I'm applying for Hull too but I can't directly answer your question. However, I have been in touch with some of my future lecturers and they're super lovely and have answered all my questions. My advise would be to try and see if you can find any emails of the geography/humanities departments and ask them directly. Also, they have contact numbers/emails on their website too so they could help! Hope these links help too:

https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/student-support/disabled-students-allowance#:~:text=Disabled%20Students%20Allowance%20(DSA)%20is,cause%20disruption%20to%20your%20studies

https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/student-support (on this link they have different sections, one being 'disability, inclusion and learning differences'

Hope this helps :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by xtmrl
Hi I have an offer to study BSc Geography at Hull in 2023.

I want to know about the ADHD, autism and dyslexia support available? And the opinions of it from a student perspective.

Is support easily accessible? Are they accommodating? Are there peer groups available? Are there mentors/counsellors available to talk to regularly and support you? What can you use your DSA for? What support can you access on a student support plan?

This is kind of my deciding factor between unis so I'm curious to know as much as I can. Thanks

Hi! I’m not currently studying there but I’m doing foundation zoology in September and I just today got my DSA approved (asd,adhd,dyslexia)

I met the SLPD team on the open day and they were great, there still in contact with me every now and then now. I’m getting all the exam arrangements I’ve had previously and some other stuff.

as for DSA I’d say it’s the one assessment in life where they’re on your side and are trying to get stuff for you. I’m getting a laptop, a bunch of software and meetings with people for study sessions and mental health check ins

i have to properly set up my support plan with the uni soon but I’m confident they’ll be helpful and there’s societies for autism and adhd there which I’ll be joining right away 😅
Reply 3
Basically you go through the DSA evaluation that figures out how your needs can be met regarding accessibility, devices, software etc.

When I got the kit notice I contacted the supplier and asked what adaptations could be had, so got a different headset and had the laptop RAM bumped up. 4 years later it's still running fine.

DSA is called an 'assessment', but it's the opposite of stressful. Expect it to take about 1-1.5h. They put a report together that is relevant to the university to design your RAP (Reasonable Adjustment Plan). Don't worry about the RAP, it's a learning curve and it's important to give student support as much feedback as possible and voice concerns and ask questions. It's periodically reviewed and can be adapted to needs as you go. The DSA evaluation is done once. It's very important that you keep the documentation where you can find it, especially when going through SFE funding processes.

Quick Reply

Latest