The Student Room Group

Mocks in two weeks - HELP!!

Hi, I’m in year 11 and my mocks are in two weeks and i don’t feel prepared at all. I started doing really small chunks of revision about 5 weeks ago and i’ve been (trying) to revise everyday in half term but i don’t feel like i’m doing enough!! The first two days i did about 4 1/2 hours in a day and then it just went downhill from there. I’ve only been doing one or two hours a day since wednesday because i am really losing motivation already. I feel like i’m getting nothing out of my revision and forgetting the stuff i’ve just revised. I’m also worried about covering everything because time is running out and i’m not even half way through! I’ve been feeling low for weeks now and this week has been really tough which is really worrying as this is literally only mocks. how the hell am i going to cope with the actual exams? i really want to do well but it’s such a struggle just to get up in the morning let alone do EFFECTIVE revision. i’m hoping to get 7s/8s in most subjects and probably a 5 in re because i’m rubbish at it

I know i’m going to regret posting this tomorrow as i probably seem like a right drama queen but if anyone has any good revision techniques to help with my awful memory it would be much appreciated.

ps. i’m revising by going over the revision guide/notes and then testing myself on what i just learned using flashcards and practice questions (which i end up getting wrong)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chajamxx
Hi, I’m in year 11 and my mocks are in two weeks and i don’t feel prepared at all. I started doing really small chunks of revision about 5 weeks ago and i’ve been (trying) to revise everyday in half term but i don’t feel like i’m doing enough!! The first two days i did about 4 1/2 hours in a day and then it just went downhill from there. I’ve only been doing one or two hours a day since wednesday because i am really losing motivation already. I feel like i’m getting nothing out of my revision and forgetting the stuff i’ve just revised. I’m also worried about covering everything because time is running out and i’m not even half way through! I’ve been feeling low for weeks now and this week has been really tough which is really worrying as this is literally only mocks. how the hell am i going to cope with the actual exams? i really want to do well but it’s such a struggle just to get up in the morning let alone do EFFECTIVE revision. i’m hoping to get 7s/8s in most subjects and probably a 5 in re because i’m rubbish at it

I know i’m going to regret posting this tomorrow as i probably seem like a right drama queen but if anyone has any good revision techniques to help with my awful memory it would be much appreciated.

ps. i’m revising by going over the revision guide/notes and then testing myself on what i just learned using flashcards and practice questions (which i end up getting wrong)

I’d suggest to take a break. 1. Find something to do to distract yourself 2. Get good nights sleep 3. For a couple of days don’t revise and then once rested you can get back to it

What you’re doing is clearly not working and I doubt it is going to get better when you are in a bad state of mind over it as you feel that nothing is going in.

I am also a student and I face this as well. I find my suggestions really helpful for me personally. I hope that this helps you in some way or at least gives you some sort of idea :smile:)

Good look with revising and the exams 👍🏼 x
Omg, no rs is easy to be don't feel bad about it ...
What subject are you doing? like paper one or two and are you doing Christianity and Islam? cuz I did any got like good grades in and found it very easy and fun and now doing it for a level so I can prob help you
Reply 3

Hi hun!
I feel like I’m talking to a younger me since this was exactly how I felt in yr 11 💀
Although u seem to be doing much better than I was at this stage of the year. I’m in yr 13 btwww. And I TOTALLY understand the whole feeling of nothings going into ur brain thing.

It’s awesome ur doing small chunks!! That’s probs the most helpful thing ur doing.

Also u DO have time. U just need to plan ur time effectively.

And give urself a break!!! It’s super important to recharge. Have a set time for revision and a set time to just chill. But fill the ‘chill’ time with that stuff u LOVE the most. This is rewarding urself after revising making u more likely to revise

With the flash cards, it could be that it’s not the right technique for u, or u haven’t stuck with them for long enough. It’s MEANT to be hard, the actual act of recalling information from ur brain is meant to be hard - but that’s how u strengthen ur memory and connections in ur brain.

Soo these r some of my tips...
•Plan what topics u need to cover, and break that down into smaller more manageable chunks
•BLURT. Pick a random topic. Take a pen and paper. Write down everything u know about it. Every single thing. Then look back on ur notes and fill in any gaps. This’ll highlight gaps in ur knowledge. Use this to revise -> make flash cards/ notes/ whatever u want.
spaced repetition is super important
interleaving = v effective
(Lemme know if u want me to expand)

Also u should be spending most of ur time doing practise questions. If u keep getting them wrong then question ur understanding of the topic.

I know the frustration when you keep getting the same qs wrong, but this is when it’s important to understand where ur going wrong. (Is it just an issue of memorising a fact, not fully understanding the qs etc..)

WOW that was a lot. Ngl I’m struggling myself in revision, but it’s incredibly beneficial to take a step back and plan.

Urm hope that helps : D
Original post by 15mohsinfa
so I can prob help you

Like please let me know and sample questions or any topic you struggle with will be more than happy to help also which exam board I did ocr and literally go to the past papers and do them on your topic coming in the mock cuz they WILL use those so better to know the question coming and knowing answer also great revision. And please revise quotes and just fit them in anywhere also PEEL.
Use this structure for longer questions :

I agree with.... because...This is told explained/stated/quotes/said 'enter quote'. This explains...(explain how the quotes link to the question and what it means)... . Therefore I agree with ...(the question's statement).
Take quick breaks. Try weekly quizzes too. A cool way of testing yourself is to use plain flashcards to revise all key facts etc and make brief notes as well. You can even create a revision chart to use too.
Reply 6
Original post by TSR :)
Hi hun!
I feel like I’m talking to a younger me since this was exactly how I felt in yr 11 💀
Although u seem to be doing much better than I was at this stage of the year. I’m in yr 13 btwww. And I TOTALLY understand the whole feeling of nothings going into ur brain thing.

It’s awesome ur doing small chunks!! That’s probs the most helpful thing ur doing.

And give urself a break!!! It’s super important to recharge. Have a set time for revision and a set time to just chill. But fill the ‘chill’ time with that stuff u LOVE the most. This is rewarding urself after revising making u more likely to revise

With the flash cards, it could be that it’s not the right technique for u, or u haven’t stuck with them for long enough. It’s MEANT to be hard, the actual act of recalling information from ur brain is meant to be hard - but that’s how u strengthen ur memory and connections in ur brain.

•Plan what topics u need to cover, and break that down into smaller more manageable chunks
•BLURT. Pick a random topic. Take a pen and paper. Write down everything u know about it. Every single thing. Then look back on ur notes and fill in any gaps. This’ll highlight gaps in ur knowledge. Use this to revise -> make flash cards/ notes/ whatever u want.

Also u should be spending most of ur time doing practise questions. If u keep getting them wrong then question ur understanding of the topic.

I know the frustration when you keep getting the same qs wrong, but this is when it’s important to understand where ur going wrong. (Is it just an issue of memorising a fact, not fully understanding the qs etc..)

WOW that was a lot. Ngl I’m struggling myself in revision, but it’s incredibly beneficial to take a step back and plan.

i'm also struggling ! what's spaced repetition and interleaving?
Gosh, this feels like talking to a younger mini-me! I'm in year 13 now and am very dyslexic so understand what your saying about the bad memory. Something I'd recommend is the Youtube revision videos, Primrose kitten does great ones for science they are titled 'Chemistry GCSE in one hour' something like that, I used to watch it on double speed and pause and take notes at stuff I didn't understand. Also, purchase the revision workbooks. I know it's boring but PPQs really are the way forward, I wish I'd done more of them at GCSE. I did GCSE geography got a 4 in my mock and basically did every past paper question on the planet and came out with an 8, it really does help! What other subjects do you do, feel free to PM me.

The main thing is that you don't burn yourself out, it's going to be a rough year and you need a break. Have a lie-in and start afresh tomorrow, work in a tidy environment; if your house is noisy go to a coffee shop and work there, stick the headphones in and you will get a lot done with fewer distractions!

Also your not being a drama queen, year 11 is tough especially as everyone's missed stuff due to corona, try not to worry xx
Reply 8
Original post by maisiex10x
Gosh, this feels like talking to a younger mini-me! I'm in year 13 now and am very dyslexic so understand what your saying about the bad memory. Something I'd recommend is the Youtube revision videos, Primrose kitten does great ones for science they are titled 'Chemistry GCSE in one hour' something like that, I used to watch it on double speed and pause and take notes at stuff I didn't understand. Also, purchase the revision workbooks. I know it's boring but PPQs really are the way forward, I wish I'd done more of them at GCSE. I did GCSE geography got a 4 in my mock and basically did every past paper question on the planet and came out with an 8, it really does help! What other subjects do you do, feel free to PM me.

The main thing is that you don't burn yourself out, it's going to be a rough year and you need a break. Have a lie-in and start afresh tomorrow, work in a tidy environment; if your house is noisy go to a coffee shop and work there, stick the headphones in and you will get a lot done with fewer distractions!

Also your not being a drama queen, year 11 is tough especially as everyone's missed stuff due to corona, try not to worry xx

LOLL that’s exactly what I said too!! ‘Talking to a younger me’ 😭 if only I could go back and tell her to chill but not be so lazy
LOLL that’s exactly what I said too!! ‘Talking to a younger me’ 😭 if only I could go back and tell her to chill but not be so lazy

Honestly ahhh, A-levels are hellish
Reply 10
Sigh. They do be the bane of my life :/
Honestly ahhh, A-levels are hellish

aren't mocks in y10??? I'm in y10 and they said we have mocks this year.
Reply 12
Original post by csmh1912
aren't mocks in y10??? I'm in y10 and they said we have mocks this year.

They might be a different kind of mock exam. Normally all or most mock exams take place in year 11 (around november or january depending on the school).
I remember I had a single english language mock in year 10 for some reason but that seems to be different.
Original post by fluous
They might be a different kind of mock exam. Normally all or most mock exams take place in year 11 (around november or january depending on the school).
I remember I had a single english language mock in year 10 for some reason but that seems to be different.

oh yea it was English they said... thanks haha <3
Reply 14
Original post by EllieroseFarmer
I’d suggest to take a break. 1. Find something to do to distract yourself 2. Get good nights sleep 3. For a couple of days don’t revise and then once rested you can get back to it

What you’re doing is clearly not working and I doubt it is going to get better when you are in a bad state of mind over it as you feel that nothing is going in.

I am also a student and I face this as well. I find my suggestions really helpful for me personally. I hope that this helps you in some way or at least gives you some sort of idea :smile:)

Good look with revising and the exams 👍🏼 x

Thank you! x
Reply 15
Omg, no rs is easy to be don't feel bad about it ...
What subject are you doing? like paper one or two and are you doing Christianity and Islam? cuz I did any got like good grades in and found it very easy and fun and now doing it for a level so I can prob help you

I know I’m doing Catholic Christianity for paper 1 and that’s also what my mock will be on, I’m not actually sure about paper two I think it might be Catholics again because i go to a catholic school... I honestly don’t know i’ve asked my friends and they’ve said they don’t know either 😭
Reply 16
Hi hun!

Thank you! I’ll try some of the different things you suggested. Good luck with your revision x
Reply 17

Thank you so much, I’ll definitely have a look at her channel. I’ll order some workbooks as the only books are have are for the sciences and they’re more textbooks than workbooks.
Good luck x
Reply 18
Original post by tinygirl96
Take quick breaks. Try weekly quizzes too. A cool way of testing yourself is to use plain flashcards to revise all key facts etc and make brief notes as well. You can even create a revision chart to use too.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 19
Like please let me know and sample questions or any topic you struggle with will be more than happy to help also which exam board I did ocr and literally go to the past papers and do them on your topic coming in the mock cuz they WILL use those so better to know the question coming and knowing answer also great revision. And please revise quotes and just fit them in anywhere also PEEL.
Use this structure for longer questions :

I agree with.... because...This is told explained/stated/quotes/said 'enter quote'. This explains...(explain how the quotes link to the question and what it means)... . Therefore I agree with ...(the question's statement).

Okay ignore what i said before:
Paper 1: Catholic Christianity (which will be my mock)
Paper 2: Judaism
Paper 3: Philosophy and ethics
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest