The Student Room Group

Product Rule and Factorisation

I was hoping someone might be able to help show me where I am going wrong with the following:

y=2x√(1-x) use the product rule to differentiate and then factorise fully the resulting functions.

I have uploaded a picture of my workings to try and show it simpler than typing, the answer is apparently ((1-x)⌃-1/2)[2-3x] though, and I'm unsure of whether I have gone wrong on the differentiating or the factorising.

Thanks

IMG_20201129_130624.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CParker21
I was hoping someone might be able to help show me where I am going wrong with the following:

y=2x√(1-x) use the product rule to differentiate and then factorise fully the resulting functions.

I have uploaded a picture of my workings to try and show it simpler than typing, the answer is apparently ((1-x)⌃-1/2)[2-3x] though, and I'm unsure of whether I have gone wrong on the differentiating or the factorising.

Thanks

IMG_20201129_130624.jpg

Hard to read sideways but I think you've missed out the (-1) factor you get from differentiating 1-x with respect to x.
Reply 2

Thanks

IMG_20201129_130624.jpg

(1x)12\displaystyle (1-x)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Think about the derivative of this again. What you wrote was wrong.
Do it slowly step by step, u= ,u’= , v= , v’=
Reply 4
Original post by Prince Philip
(1x)12\displaystyle (1-x)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Think about the derivative of this again. What you wrote was wrong.

I'm still a bit lost there, if you're finding the derivative of (x)⌃n then dy/dx = n(x)⌃n-1? So n=1/2 and x=(1-x) in this instance?

Edit, ignore me, I completely forgot about the chain rule. Finally makes sense now, thanks for your help everyone.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm still a bit lost there, if you're finding the derivative of (x)⌃n then dy/dx = n(x)⌃n-1? So n=1/2 and x=(1-x) in this instance?

You need to use the chain rule since you have a chain of functions : (1x)(1-x) and x12x^{\frac{1}{2}}

If you're still unsure, what's the derivative of e.g. (1+x2)3(1+x^2)^3?

Quick Reply

Latest