The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

university of leeds or Royal Holloway for a PPE degree?

Don't know which university to go to, could I get some advice please? I live in London so royal holloway might be preferable but I've heard Leeds is good
Leeds/Manchester are certainly both interesting busy relatively sensible northern cities.....but if you can get into Royal Holloway, and do a simple commute from home, that'd save you tens of thousands. Plus you might much more easily be able to find/get-into a PPE internship in that big "world City" that you live in..

most students in the EU simply attend their local university (simplification, but I live near Milan) you could always eventually do a Masters at a different uni, if needed, and by that time you'd know exactly where to go for your specific interests
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
Leeds/Manchester are certainly both interesting busy relatively sensible northern cities.....but if you can get into Royal Holloway, and do a simple commute from home, that'd save you tens of thousands. Plus you might much more easily be able to find/get-into a PPE internship in that big "world City" that you live in..

most students in the EU simply attend their local university (simplification, but I live near Milan) you could always eventually do a Masters at a different uni, if needed, and by that time you'd know exactly where to go for your specific interests

Thank you for your advice! what about the University of Warwick for PPE in your opinion? I have received offers from Warwick, Leeds, Manchester, and Royal Holloway. I'd like to go to Warwick but Coventry is very small and not sure if I could get Internships easily. Would you advise me to go to royal holloway or Warwick?
I like Warwick, campus uni isolated in the middle of nowhere. I spent some weeks there studying chemistry/physics, spectroscopy.

So it’s a reasonable choice, but doesn’t cancel out the benefits of “studying from home”, and (think big!) working in (hopefully) Parliament or London Mayor’s office, internships in central london = hundreds of opportunities (limited usually by cost of finding accom)
PPE internships in and around Warwick, not many - and you’d have to find accom in some random city.

Keep thinking, these are just my POV!
(My friend who is studying in Leeds , he got his first job experience in London ( his gf from leeds uni happens to live in north london), so he had a place to stay, and he did loads of work )
Reply 4
I like Warwick, campus uni isolated in the middle of nowhere. I spent some weeks there studying chemistry/physics, spectroscopy.

So it’s a reasonable choice, but doesn’t cancel out the benefits of “studying from home”, and (think big!) working in (hopefully) Parliament or London Mayor’s office, internships in central london = hundreds of opportunities (limited usually by cost of finding accom)
PPE internships in and around Warwick, not many - and you’d have to find accom in some random city.

Keep thinking, these are just my POV!
(My friend who is studying in Leeds , he got his first job experience in London ( his gf from leeds uni happens to live in north london), so he had a place to stay, and he did loads of work )

Thank you for your insight! I would really like to go to Warwick to be honest, but yeah as you said I'm just a little worried that I may find it hard to get good London internships, and living at home in London might make it slightly easier. After deep thinking, I think I might just try get into UCL or King's college through clearing (if it's possible as I know it very competitive), if not then I think I'll just go Warwick.
Great! At least you have banked ucas choices/offers & now, like a sensible & enthusiastic student - wondering “what if....”

I used clearing/adjustment , it worked really well

Checking 2018 (not a complicated year)
KCL
100 courses available including digital culture, liberal arts, nursing and music
Queen Mary University of London
334 courses available including economics, film studies, international relations and robotics engineering
Royal Holloway, University of London
231 courses available including Greek, philosophy and translation studies
Birkbeck, University of London
105 courses available including culinary industry management and planetary science with astronomy
Brunel University London
225 courses available including aviation engineering, physiotherapy and theatre
Soas, University of London
363 courses available including African studies, Middle Eastern studies and study of religions
University of Westminster
151 courses available including finance, international relations and politics
(At least another few london colleges were offering but I’m not bothered to copy)

So relax ( from searching, for the mo’ ) concentrate on getting your learning, teach yourself if needed, and when you get your results, either do PPE at ucas1-5 or something similar at the ten London uni’s that were accepting adj/clear two years ago (chosen that year as a normal , non exit, non viral) I couldn’t find UCL in clearing, but you never know as 2021 might not have internationals....so UCL might quietly accept.....
Reply 6
Manchester is supposed to be quite good from what I've heard, but as a fellow Londoner and RHUL politics graduate, I'd highly recommend Royal Holloway. The commute from London is about an hour at most and although the night life isn't amazing, the close knit feel of the campus along with the very good support from the Politics/International Relations department makes it a great choice! One of my friends studied PPE there and only good things to say about the course.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Great! At least you have banked ucas choices/offers & now, like a sensible & enthusiastic student - wondering “what if....”

I used clearing/adjustment , it worked really well

Checking 2018 (not a complicated year)
KCL
100 courses available including digital culture, liberal arts, nursing and music
Queen Mary University of London
334 courses available including economics, film studies, international relations and robotics engineering
Royal Holloway, University of London
231 courses available including Greek, philosophy and translation studies
Birkbeck, University of London
105 courses available including culinary industry management and planetary science with astronomy
Brunel University London
225 courses available including aviation engineering, physiotherapy and theatre
Soas, University of London
363 courses available including African studies, Middle Eastern studies and study of religions
University of Westminster
151 courses available including finance, international relations and politics
(At least another few london colleges were offering but I’m not bothered to copy)

So relax ( from searching, for the mo’ ) concentrate on getting your learning, teach yourself if needed, and when you get your results, either do PPE at ucas1-5 or something similar at the ten London uni’s that were accepting adj/clear two years ago (chosen that year as a normal , non exit, non viral) I couldn’t find UCL in clearing, but you never know as 2021 might not have internationals....so UCL might quietly accept.....

Thank you so much for the help! A little more reassured now, I’ll just focus on a levels now and if I can get into UCL or kings through adjustment fine, if not warwick it is I guess. But yeah thanks again I was a little worried.
Reply 8
Original post by TJ1997
Manchester is supposed to be quite good from what I've heard, but as a fellow Londoner and RHUL politics graduate, I'd highly recommend Royal Holloway. The commute from London is about an hour at most and although the night life isn't amazing, the close knit feel of the campus along with the very good support from the Politics/International Relations department makes it a great choice! One of my friends studied PPE there and only good things to say about the course.

Thanks. I think I’ll just firm Warwick then and put royal Holloway as my insurance. Thanks for the insight !
Original post by m.037
Thanks. I think I’ll just firm Warwick then and put royal Holloway as my insurance. Thanks for the insight !

It depends what you want to go into, I'd say Warwick for jobs in finance is as good as UCL
Original post by m.037
Thank you for your insight! I would really like to go to Warwick to be honest, but yeah as you said I'm just a little worried that I may find it hard to get good London internships, and living at home in London might make it slightly easier.

Warwick is internship central. I am not even joking - every application cycle the atmosphere around uni changed. There are so many workshops and speakers etc - it is absolutely perfect if you're career driven. Warwick even revamped their careers hub by funelling loads of money and getting experts in. It is perfect for people interested in finance / consulting etc. I think actually it is what we're best known for. London is really expensive (I live in London) and having grown up here i wanted to get out of here because it is such a bubble. See the rest of the UK - it is so much cheaper and you always can run back to London whenever you want. Plus Warwick is a top 10 uni - but deffo do more research in to it. Think about what unis offer you as opposed to where they are located.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by m.037
Thank you for your advice! what about the University of Warwick for PPE in your opinion? I have received offers from Warwick, Leeds, Manchester, and Royal Holloway. I'd like to go to Warwick but Coventry is very small and not sure if I could get Internships easily. Would you advise me to go to royal holloway or Warwick?

for ppe warwick is a clear #1 here reputation-wise; it ranks above the others for pol+econ (and i think phil as well) separately, and the university as a whole

coventry is small (and ****) but that doesn't really matter - you're not going to be searching for an internship door-to-door, you'll use the internet like most job searchers do and probably won't be living at home anyway. most internships are in london so you'd either be relocating temporarily (which isn't as hard as it sounds) or commuting a long way (from rhul)

Original post by kanyenot
Warwick is internship central. I am not even joking - every application cycle the atmosphere around uni changed. There are so many workshops and speakers etc - it is absolutely perfect if you're career driven. Warwick even revamped their careers hub by funelling loads of money and getting experts in. It is perfect for people interested in finance / consulting etc. I think actually it is what we're best known for. London is really expensive (I live in London) and having grown up here i wanted to get out of here because it is such a bubble. See the rest of the UK - it is so much cheaper and you always can run back to London whenever you want. Plus Warwick is a top 10 uni - but deffo do more research in to it. Think about what unis offer you as opposed to where they are located.

this is also very true. warwick has it's own student/graduate job board with dozens or even hundreds of jobs for any given search. careers events are basically weekly and its one of the top universities by graduate prospects

bias: i study ppe at warwick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending