The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics 2021 Applicants

Hey, I've haven't seen a thread for Oxford Physics applicants yet, so I decided to start one myself!

I am applying to St Catz.

I am predicted 40 IB points, with 767 in HL Physics, Maths, and Economics respectively.

I'm also applying to Manchester, Imperial, UCL, and Edinburgh.
Reply 1
Hey, predicted A* A* A* A + A* EPQ and applied:

Oxford (Worcester College)
Imperial (absolute favourite bar Oxford)
UCL
Manchester (Offer)
St. Andrews

Everyone is so quiet for Physics urgh
Reply 2
Hello!
I’m predicted 4A* , applying to
St. John’s college
Durham
Lancaster
Warwick
Southampton.

Has anyone recieved any invitations/rejections to interview yet, and how did you find the PAT?
Reply 3
Hey predicted 3A*Applied trinity college, imperial, Bristol, bath, UCLHaven’t received any news about interview I found the PAT very rushed for time which is what I think made it hard this year
Original post by KingG42
Hello!
I’m predicted 4A* , applying to
St. John’s college
Durham
Lancaster
Warwick
Southampton.

Has anyone recieved any invitations/rejections to interview yet, and how did you find the PAT?

Daughter applied to Oxford (merton(interview at jesus)) last year and Lancaster. St Johns is a lovely college. Hope you get in :smile: Btw 2019 PAT was evil, so hoping 2020s PAT was more better for you all :smile:
anyone heard about iterviews yet?
Reply 6
Original post by ghunt2002
anyone heard about iterviews yet?

not yet. we should get a response AT LEAST a week before interviews start. that means Wednesday at the latest.
My son also applying to study Physics at Oxford. Not heard anything yet. Feeling anxious for you all.
Interview at York went well.
Manchester interview soon.
Waiting to hear from Edinburgh and Durham.
:smile:
Original post by bigwhitemamma
My son also applying to study Physics at Oxford. Not heard anything yet. Feeling anxious for you all.

Last year daughter had interview 16-18th of December for physics. She was told of interview on the 3rd of December so just shy of 2 weeks before :smile:
Reply 9
has anyone still not heard back? I applied to Mansfield college for physics, everyone else I know has heard back either way :redface:
Original post by xumeng
has anyone still not heard back? I applied to Mansfield college for physics, everyone else I know has heard back either way :redface:

There is still time. Give it until Saturday, and if you have not heard anything by then, send them an email :smile:

Physics
Rejection from Oxford today.
Anyone know when we likely to hear from Edinburgh and Durham?
Physics
Rejection from Oxford today.
Anyone know when we likely to hear from Edinburgh and Durham?

Sorry to hear it. congrats on interview from York My daughter had an interview at York for physics and astronomy last year. The physics dept is so good.
york 1.jpgyork 2.jpg
This is the view from the computer room in the physics dept. Not a bad place to work with a view of the lake :biggrin: And Durham. last years entrants didnt hear until the new year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Just got the interview !
Original post by Ghostlady
Sorry to hear it. congrats on interview from York My daughter had an interview at York for physics and astronomy last year. The physics dept is so good.
york 1.jpgyork 2.jpg
This is the view from the computer room in the physics dept. Not a bad place to work with a view of the lake :biggrin: And Durham. last years entrants didnt hear until the new year.

Thanks Ghostlady. If you have any insights, how would rank Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester and York. Son is definitely more inclined to theoretical physics with some astro and philosophy thrown in the mix.
Thanks Ghostlady. If you have any insights, how would rank Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester and York. Son is definitely more inclined to theoretical physics with some astro and philosophy thrown in the mix.

She currently studies at Lancaster Physics and Particle Physics and Cosmologywhich is a collegiate uni , but we did look at others when applying, some on line, some in person.
York was in person, and its on a par with Lancaster. The facilities at York are excellent, and the astrocampus she really loved at York. its got a base on astrocampus with a large workable classroom with computers and radio telescopes and domes. The library there is really good. Nice and light, . With York, the accommodation is on the pricier side, but you can still get a half decent accommodation. We liked Goodricke, Langwith, James and Alcuin Colleges.

Durham we looked at on line. The city itself is very similar to lancaster in its period of history. Definitely like the collegiate uni's like York's. We did like the look of Josephine Butler college and she would like to cook for herself, rather than catered.
Upside of Durham is the extra bits of pomp like the bops and matriculation and a lot of balls like Oxford. Downside is that the master course was A*A*A, more than what oxfords was of A*AA. Yorks masters course is AAA, so you have the benefits of an easier grade. The city looks really nice and she did like the layout of the colleges dotted up the main road, and a bit away form the city and she like the look of the Physics dept too.

Edinburgh we also looked at on line briefly, and we have visited the city a couple of years ago and I loved the royal mile its got great character. Have to say Edinburgh looks like a nice uni but dont know much about it.

Manchester we didnt look at, although the physics masters is same at Durhams at A*A*A I believe. And of course, Brian Cox lectures there sometimes which is a nice plus. Unfortunately Manchester has not done themselves many favours this term in the handling of the covid situation, so hope they improve. Benefits of Manchester is its a city uni. A friend of mine goes ot manchester met uni and she loves the fast paced manchester brings.

If your son doesnt mind A*A*A then I would Rank Durham Firm, and York AAA insurance, followed by Edinburgh and Manchester.
There is a you tuber called Jack Edwards my daughter watched. he graduated from Durham in English, but his first year, shows him at St cuths, so its worth checking out regarding the uni and the lifestyle :smile: York, she watched Student Vlogs Dylan who graduated for Economics and did a year abroad in Australia, He was in James college catered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending