The Student Room Group

University of Oxford Master's

I’m a Politics graduate from the University of Southampton with a 1st and a Dean’s List Award for my final year. I am considering doing a Master’s at the University of Oxford. I have not been able to get onto an internship or graduate scheme since leaving university in 2021 so is it worth going back to university to do a Masters to help my employability chances?
I am also wondering if a Master’s from Oxford is really worth it as well as whether they would accept me at all considering I have been out of university now for 2 years.
Reply 1
Original post by MrBoogie
I’m a Politics graduate from the University of Southampton with a 1st and a Dean’s List Award for my final year. I am considering doing a Master’s at the University of Oxford. I have not been able to get onto an internship or graduate scheme since leaving university in 2021 so is it worth going back to university to do a Masters to help my employability chances?
I am also wondering if a Master’s from Oxford is really worth it as well as whether they would accept me at all considering I have been out of university now for 2 years.

Short answer No, it is not likely to improve your employability. You already have a great academic record but that is only one side of your employability. The other is your experience, application skills and aptitude for certain roles. Getting a masters, unless it is directly linked to a specific role is not going to overcome practical experience deficiencies.

Regarding masters, they are a lot less competitive than undergrad degrees so your chances may be better than you think. Regardless of where you study, the masters is unlikely to open up loads more doors for you.

Take care,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending