The Student Room Group

Does where you go to uni really matter ?

As above , should reputation sway my decision ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the course, if it is medicine for example what uni you go to doesn't really matter
Reply 2
To both of you , I’m going to study either business or marketing at uni ( I’ve applied for a mix of courses) and I’ve got two career options 1) consultancy and 2) public relations
for me it was best to go to the highest quality uni and try to get some 'value for money'
however this is not just where it sits on leaderboard but a mixture of things
(edited 3 years ago)
Agree, it depends on the course, and what you want to do after you graduate. If you want to get a training contract to become a lawyer, yes it does - there would be no point in taking a law degree at a lower ranked university that required BBC at A level, when law firms are looking for graduates with a minimum of AAB at A level and a 2.1 or above at degree level.
Reply 5
Original post by yeetouttawindow
for me it was best to go to the highest quality uni and try to get some 'value for money'
however this is not just where it sits on leaderboard but a mixture of things

I’m currently debating on York and NTU I low-key prefer Trent but I know York will boost my career prospects
Reply 6
Original post by Nautilus
Agree, it depends on the course, and what you want to do after you graduate. If you want to get a training contract to become a lawyer, yes it does - there would be no point in taking a law degree at a lower ranked university that required BBC at A level, when law firms are looking for graduates with a minimum of AAB at A level and a 2.1 or above at degree level.

I’m doing business/ marketing , do you think it matters ?
Original post by Tashax2
To both of you , I’m going to study either business or marketing at uni ( I’ve applied for a mix of courses) and I’ve got two career options 1) consultancy and 2) public relations

Hmm, in that instance, I would recommend you try and find a course that offers a sandwich year or a placement with a company. That way, you can establish connections so much easier, such that you have a greater chance of finding a job after you graduate.
Reply 8
Original post by Tashax2
I’m currently debating on York and NTU I low-key prefer Trent but I know York will boost my career prospects

Also what was the mixture of things ?
Original post by Tashax2
Also what was the mixture of things ?

location, accommodation, student union, night life, cost of living and so on
like i wasn't going to live somewhere id be miserable even if it was a great uni
Reply 10
Original post by therationalbeing
Hmm, in that instance, I would recommend you try and find a course that offers a sandwich year or a placement with a company. That way, you can establish connections so much easier, such that you have a greater chance of finding a job after you graduate.

Yeah all my options have a placement year - but overall do you think the rep matters ? For your reference one is a RG but the other is not but it’s ranked 17th for my course
Reply 11
like i wasn't going to live somewhere id be miserable even if it was a great uni

Yeah all those things I marginally prefer Nottingham Trent - I’m mainly worried about yorks nightlife but I know Leeds isn’t far to go to and there are bars etc and yorks diversity whereas I know Trent will have all those things
Reply 12

Where did you go to uni?
Original post by Tashax2
Yeah all my options have a placement year - but overall do you think the rep matters ? For your reference one is a RG but the other is not but it’s ranked 17th for my course

The reputation does not matter as much as the individual applying. Let us say you go to the university that is ranked below the other one; in that instance, it is up to you to find the relevant experience to then make your application status just as good as the other. However, since all of your options have a placement year, the reputation really does not matter, as you will be making connections and bolstering your job prospects regardless.
I have to disagree in part, in the grand scheme of things it does not matter at all. However, medicine is a bad example. Depending on what speciality you want to do after graduating from medicine, where you study medicine has a HUGE impact on your chances.
Yes, where you go matters, and not just for reputation.

First, the higher the entry standards, the cleverer the student cohort. This means you will be taught more, and learn more. Think of it like playing in the premier league as opposed to league two. You might be the same player but you will improve more in the prem.

Second, employers use your university as a proxy for your intelligence. Ideally they would measure it directly, but since they cannot they use university reputation instead. It's certification that you have been preselected by someone else, giving them confidence that you must be good.

Original post by Tashax2

This is quite a difference (more than 20 places in league tables) and a couple of grades of entry requirements. I would favour York unless you have a really strong counter reason.
No, I used to work for HEE. I've seen the numbers. Specialities that are competitive and desireable are dominated by students from specific medical schools. Do I know why? No. I wasn't there to inform policy, just to crunch some numbers. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by therationalbeing
The reputation does not matter as much as the individual applying. Let us say you go to the university that is ranked below the other one; in that instance, it is up to you to find the relevant experience to then make your application status just as good as the other. However, since all of your options have a placement year, the reputation really does not matter, as you will be making connections and bolstering your job prospects regardless.

Okay thank you for your opinion , I’m just a bit worried as people are telling me two things lol
Reply 18
Original post by chazwomaq
Yes, where you go matters, and not just for reputation.

First, the higher the entry standards, the cleverer the student cohort. This means you will be taught more, and learn more. Think of it like playing in the premier league as opposed to league two. You might be the same player but you will improve more in the prem.

Second, employers use your university as a proxy for your intelligence. Ideally they would measure it directly, but since they cannot they use university reputation instead. It's certification that you have been preselected by someone else, giving them confidence that you must be good.

This is quite a difference (more than 20 places in league tables) and a couple of grades of entry requirements. I would favour York unless you have a really strong counter reason.

My counters are diversity and social life - I don’t think they’re that great which is why I’m swaying towards Nottingham Trent those are the only reasons why tbh
Original post by Tashax2

Then yes, it very much matters for those subjects and your goals.

'Business' and to a lesser extent 'Marketing' covers a lot of ground, from fairly trivial common sense information and simplistic testing and academic standards, to very challenging concepts and ideas with challenging assessment and very high academic standards. The more academically selective the university, the more an employer can rely on you having been taught and learnt the more complex end of the knowledge spectrum.

Academic excellence is particularly important for consulting companies. Their basic proposition is that they help other companies improve their business. In other words they claim to know your business better than you do - and to do that with any credibility, they hire people with the best academic records they can. Public Relations is a little less sensitive, but in PR a company is still leaving its reputation management in your hands - they want to be sure that those are the best hands possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending