The Student Room Group

How to choose a BPS accredited Master Conversion course starting Sept 2023

How to choose the best BPS accredited uni to do the conversion course? There are a lot of providers and picking one is hard with little info:
1. Are employers really interested where I take the Masters? I am a qualified solicitor and from experience know that few law firms care where non law grads took their conversion course.
2. Psychology Uni rankings are not really that helpful for Direct Learning students - as the rankings factor in the whole uni experience. Teaching is included in the ranks, but some universities outsource course delivery (eg Essex university uses Kaplan.) Maybe Kaplan are excellent and it's a great solution but it's a bit misleading as there is no information about the tutors and their psychology experience. There are some online/DL rankings but they are limited and not subject specific. Postgrad ranks Glasgow, Nottingham and Exeter as 'top' - but that refers to the range/number of modules offered. What Uni ranks Arden Uni offers blended and distance learning options - which is really nice. But there is no real analysis or comparison anywhere. Am I missing something? .
3. Looking at course modules seems a good way to go. But most seem to offer the same generic core modules with no options. Some are research heavy (like Northumbria). Manchester Metropolitan and Derby do offer a much wider range of options. Kent offers child dev and mental health.
4. Another big difference is some masters are based on 100% assessed course work - others use a mix of exams and course work. What tends to work best for distance learning students? Maybe it's just personal preference? Anyone with practical experience here would be awesome!
5. Fees are so wide ranging - what is the real value added?? Glasgow and Exeter are high and exceed the Masters loan. Most unis charge the same fee as being on campus... even though no campus facilities required (which seems a bit of a cheat). Some unis charge MORE for direct learning (like Exeter). Surely they should therefore offer a ton of 'extra added' advantages. Exeter does add more value added to DL students than most others. Some lower ranking unis offer a bursary if you have a 2:1 or 1st. Does anyone have any experience of Arden or the uni of Highlands and Islands?
Original post by BluestJay
How to choose the best BPS accredited uni to do the conversion course? There are a lot of providers and picking one is hard with little info:
1. Are employers really interested where I take the Masters? I am a qualified solicitor and from experience know that few law firms care where non law grads took their conversion course.
2. Psychology Uni rankings are not really that helpful for Direct Learning students - as the rankings factor in the whole uni experience. Teaching is included in the ranks, but some universities outsource course delivery (eg Essex university uses Kaplan.) Maybe Kaplan are excellent and it's a great solution but it's a bit misleading as there is no information about the tutors and their psychology experience. There are some online/DL rankings but they are limited and not subject specific. Postgrad ranks Glasgow, Nottingham and Exeter as 'top' - but that refers to the range/number of modules offered. What Uni ranks Arden Uni offers blended and distance learning options - which is really nice. But there is no real analysis or comparison anywhere. Am I missing something? .
3. Looking at course modules seems a good way to go. But most seem to offer the same generic core modules with no options. Some are research heavy (like Northumbria). Manchester Metropolitan and Derby do offer a much wider range of options. Kent offers child dev and mental health.
4. Another big difference is some masters are based on 100% assessed course work - others use a mix of exams and course work. What tends to work best for distance learning students? Maybe it's just personal preference? Anyone with practical experience here would be awesome!
5. Fees are so wide ranging - what is the real value added?? Glasgow and Exeter are high and exceed the Masters loan. Most unis charge the same fee as being on campus... even though no campus facilities required (which seems a bit of a cheat). Some unis charge MORE for direct learning (like Exeter). Surely they should therefore offer a ton of 'extra added' advantages. Exeter does add more value added to DL students than most others. Some lower ranking unis offer a bursary if you have a 2:1 or 1st. Does anyone have any experience of Arden or the uni of Highlands and Islands?

Hey, hi!

I recommend you check carefully the unis first. I am a current student in Arden, and I regretted the second month I started. Did you try with any public one, maybe Westminster or Brunel?
@BluestJay
Hello! I did the MSc conversion course in Psychology at Arden University 100% online, but as noted, there are blended learning options.

For some the MSc conversion is quite a challenge because the first two units, which you study anywhere that is accredited by the BPS. They are very much research methods heavy which means using statistical analysis programs like SPSS which is difficult if you have not done it before. Luckily, I have a Sociology degree so have come across them before, this often skews peoples perceived experiences of the MSc regardless of where they study.

For an impartial review, check out a Universities quality report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework report, both readily available online.

Arden is not usually included in league tables because it is a private for profit institution and is not a classical 'red brick' University. I've worked in education myself for 10 years and Arden definitely have the best virtual learning environment I have come across

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
@BluestJay

Have you picked a course?

I have narrowed it down to two expensive options (Glasgow & Exeter) and two more affordable ones (Derby & Manchester Metropolitan).

I'm particularly interested in the psychology of pain. So far, I've only seen it mentioned on Derby's website.

Which universities use exams to assess students? I have not looked into that... I should have! I prefer exams!

I wish I could answer your questions, instead of adding mine 😅
Reply 4
@BluestJay

I'm having the same dilemma!

I have had offers from the University of Liverpool and Manchester Metropolitan to study the MSc Psychology Conversion online. Now it has always been my goal to go to a top university, so I jumped at the chance at UOL and paid my deposit.

Weeks later, got an offer from Manchester Metropolitan and started to have doubts because I love the course content there over Liverpool! But I love the assignments at Liverpool but the course content is fine, but I just love Manchester's better!

I want to become an educational psychologist and Manchester does a module in Ed Psych so I'm thinking have I made the right choice!

I keep grappling with this idea between prestige and whether that matters or I should go with course content!
Reply 5
Original post by nishadea
@BluestJay

I'm having the same dilemma!

I have had offers from the University of Liverpool and Manchester Metropolitan to study the MSc Psychology Conversion online. Now it has always been my goal to go to a top university, so I jumped at the chance at UOL and paid my deposit.

Weeks later, got an offer from Manchester Metropolitan and started to have doubts because I love the course content there over Liverpool! But I love the assignments at Liverpool but the course content is fine, but I just love Manchester's better!

I want to become an educational psychologist and Manchester does a module in Ed Psych so I'm thinking have I made the right choice!

I keep grappling with this idea between prestige and whether that matters or I should go with course content!

Hi @nishadea could I ask when you applied and when you received your offer? Still waiting on my MMU offer!

P.S I know where you are coming from with the reputation of the uni but I don't think it matters too much where you study, it's your paid/unpaid work experience that matters from what I understand - so choose wherever you will enjoy more! Hope that is helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Adawson96
Hi @nishadea could I ask when you applied and when you received your offer? Still waiting on my MMU offer!

P.S I know where you are coming from with the reputation of the uni but I don't think it matters too much where you study, it's your paid/unpaid work experience that matters from what I understand - so choose wherever you will enjoy more! Hope that is helpful :smile:

I'm starting to realise that actually, but I will stick with Liverpool as the support that I've gotten has been top-notch (I have a learning difficulty and they're already supported lots with that and advised me to apply for DSA etc.) I found it difficult to get in contact with someone at MMU when I was applying, so I definitely prefer Liverpool in that aspect.

I applied in mid July, got my offer back 2 weeks later or so. Hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! Good luck! 😊
Original post by nishadea
I'm starting to realise that actually, but I will stick with Liverpool as the support that I've gotten has been top-notch (I have a learning difficulty and they're already supported lots with that and advised me to apply for DSA etc.) I found it difficult to get in contact with someone at MMU when I was applying, so I definitely prefer Liverpool in that aspect.

I applied in mid July, got my offer back 2 weeks later or so. Hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! Good luck! 😊

hey, would it be possible for you to check over my personal statement please?
Reply 8
Original post by epicgang432
hey, would it be possible for you to check over my personal statement please?

Sure, I wouldn't mind but just be advised that I'm not an expert and I'm not responsible if it doesn't bring about the desired outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest