The Student Room Group

QMUL (higher ranked) or UoB (lower ranked but id rather go here)

my parents would rather me pick QMUL but i really don't want to go; for UoB (lower ranked by around 7) im a lot more excited to go and it's still a russell group uni so not a terrible ranking or anything. QMUL is around 15th and UoB is around 22nd.
Reply 1
What is UofB? Bristol? Bournemouth? Birmingham? Brazaville?
Reply 2
Oh - and which subject?
Original post by swqit
my parents would rather me pick QMUL but i really don't want to go; for UoB (lower ranked by around 7) im a lot more excited to go and it's still a russell group uni so not a terrible ranking or anything. QMUL is around 15th and UoB is around 22nd.

go UoB, rankings aren’t a major importance unless you’re going for something like medicine. Prioritise your enjoyment also.
Original post by swqit

Go to UoB, whatever that B may be. Rankings don't mean a thing (for the vast majority of subjects) and you'll do much better in a place you're happy with.

Original post by greentiger
go UoB, rankings aren’t a major importance unless you’re going for something like medicine. Prioritise your enjoyment also.

Only a handful of degrees do rankings/prestige matters, but not for Medicine. In fact, for Medicine, the recruitment process is university-blind, the people deciding don't know which university you attended to. The only degree I can think of where it does kind of matter where you go to is Law.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What is UofB? Bristol? Bournemouth? Birmingham? Brazaville?

Birmingham sorry
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Oh - and which subject?

Law
Reply 7
Original post by Scotland Yard
Go to UoB, whatever that B may be. Rankings don't mean a thing (for the vast majority of subjects) and you'll do much better in a place you're happy with.

Only a handful of degrees do rankings/prestige matters, but not for Medicine. In fact, for Medicine, the recruitment process is university-blind, the people deciding don't know which university you attended to. The only degree I can think of where it does kind of matter where you go to is Law.

Oh but I'm applying for law. Birmingham is 7 rankings below so would that make a big difference?
Reply 8
Go to Birmingham - its a fabulous Uni and you will have a fantastic time.
QMUL is in the East End, and London is expensive. Rankings are essentially hyped-up nonsense.
Original post by swqit
Oh but I'm applying for law. Birmingham is 7 rankings below so would that make a big difference?

Not particularly. From what I understand, the bias in law seems to be towards RG universities, which Birmingham still is, so it's not going to make a difference. So go to Birmingham, the one you prefer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending