The Student Room Group

marketing @ uni

Is uni reputation important for marketing? I know for subjects such as history, English etc. uni reputation can be important due to how academic the courses are compared to a job. However marketing is slightly less academic. Does going to a Russell group really matter, or is it just important to go to any uni that is CIM accredited?

If I have relevant, good work experience at a (non-Russell group, mid-ranked) university, does it really matter if it's not a Russell group/highly ranked?

I have offers from some Russell group universities, which are obviously harder to get into. My grades are predicted as A*A*A, but I much prefer the lower-ranked uni which only needs BBB to get into. I don't know if I should accept the Russell group offer for better job prospects, or go to the lower-ranked uni that I prefer?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Is uni reputation important for marketing? I know for subjects such as history, English etc. uni reputation can be important due to how academic the courses are compared to a job. However marketing is slightly less academic. Does going to a Russell group really matter, or is it just important to go to any uni that is CIM accredited?

If I have relevant, good work experience at a (non-Russell group, mid-ranked) university, does it really matter if it's not a Russell group/highly ranked?

I have offers from some Russell group universities, which are obviously harder to get into. My grades are predicted as A*A*A, but I much prefer the lower-ranked uni which only needs BBB to get into. I don't know if I should accept the Russell group offer for better job prospects, or go to the lower-ranked uni that I prefer?

I have said this on here so many times, but here we go again.

Businesses in general do not care about where you went. They don't know or understand the rankings students obsess over. The only thing they care about is what skills you have and what you can bring to the business. So ask yourself, what are you trying to achieve? Do you have a specific company you want to work for or a particular role in mind? What skills are required to achieve that goal? Then choose the university that gives the best opportunity to get those skills. And for me, picking a uni that gives the opportunity to have a sandwich year wins hands down over anything else, because that is where you get your foot on the ladder and gain some vital work experience.

The university league tables are meaningless to everyone except universities who dine out on them.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I have said this on here so many times, but here we go again.

Businesses in general do not care about where you went. They don't know or understand the rankings students obsess over. The only thing they care about is what skills you have and what you can bring to the business. So ask yourself, what are you trying to achieve? Do you have a specific company you want to work for or a particular role in mind? What skills are required to achieve that goal? Then choose the university that gives the best opportunity to get those skills. And for me, picking a uni that gives the opportunity to have a sandwich year wins hands down over anything else, because that is where you get your foot on the ladder and gain some vital work experience.

The university league tables are meaningless to everyone except universities who dine out on them.

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending