The Student Room Group

need urgent help regarding gcse options (deadline-today)

hiya! i’ll make this quick.

I’m choosing my GCSE’s right now, aiming for a degree at Oxbridge/top uni and career in law/politics, probably to be a barrister.

i’ve settled on:

french
history
business studies
geography
chinese
chemistry

and currently debating over psychology and physics.

my current thinking is that there is no way i can apply to Oxford/Cambridge with a single science gcse, so i thought to take physics as well. however i’ve heard psychology is more beneficial.

for the record, i’m average at physics but i’m not great at maths
(edited 3 years ago)
I'd go for physics personally. Not to be stuck up, but it seems to be more traditionally respected than psychology. Its also not too hard if ur ok at maths
Good luck!
Isn't it compulsory to do all three sciences for GCSE?
Physics is probably more advisable.
Reply 3
Original post by bushelboi
I'd go for physics personally. Not to be stuck up, but it seems to be more traditionally respected than psychology. Its also not too hard if ur ok at maths
Good luck!

i’m really not great at maths, but i’ll work hard to make sure i’m up to standards
Only GCSE results matter for Oxbridge. Do what you’re good at and what you like. If you like psychology more, or even art, do it. Not everything needs to be related to your future career.
Are you an international student? Usually maths, English language, English literature, biology, chemistry and physics are compulsory for GCSE. I would say pick physics
Original post by Baabaabinks
Only GCSE results matter for Oxbridge. Do what you’re good at and what you like. If you like psychology more, or even art, do it. Not everything needs to be related to your future career.

Actually yeah, I take back what I said abt physics being more respected - idrk, that was just based on pure prejudice. Just do ur best in GCSEs and make sure to cultivate outside interests as well!
Reply 7
thanks everyone that contributed to this thread! i just submitted my options form, and no, i’m not an international student. i go to a private school in wales and that’s just our available choices.

final form:

history
business
chinese
french
chemistry
physics
geography

ended up choosing physics because my dad is a chartered engineer and is able to help me
Reply 8
Original post by bushelboi
Actually yeah, I take back what I said abt physics being more respected - idrk, that was just based on pure prejudice. Just do ur best in GCSEs and make sure to cultivate outside interests as well!

don’t worry! i totally agree with both of you but in the end decided on physics as i didn’t want to be left with a single science, and my dad is able to help me with physics as well
Reply 9
Original post by alipurple
Are you an international student? Usually maths, English language, English literature, biology, chemistry and physics are compulsory for GCSE. I would say pick physics

not an international student, but i go to a fairly international private school and those were just the 2021 options, so yeah
I’d imagine that English Lang and maths are compulsory and these are just OP’s options- cuz you can’t get into any unis without English and Maths.

Original post by alipurple
Original post by eukiya
hiya! i’ll make this quick.

I’m choosing my GCSE’s right now, aiming for a degree at Oxbridge/top uni and career in law/politics, probably to be a barrister.

i’ve settled on:

french
history
business studies
geography
chinese
chemistry

and currently debating over psychology and physics.

my current thinking is that there is no way i can apply to Oxford/Cambridge with a single science gcse, so i thought to take physics as well. however i’ve heard psychology is more beneficial.

for the record, i’m average at physics but i’m not great at maths

Well Physics is related to more maths however, physics is better than psychology it is more respected if you want to apply for oxford and cambridge, i would pick physics if i were you

Quick Reply

Latest