The Student Room Group

A level choices urgent

Hi,

This is really urgent, my friend needs to pick a levels very soon as the deadline is approaching. She is a really creative soul so she has already picked A level art. But she isn't quite sure of what to pick for her other two. I have tried helping but it seems like she doesn't quite like them to commit to it fully. What subjects could she possibly pick?

She did consider humanities e.g history? And maybe bio and chem. But as I mentioned she isn't too sure. She doesn't what to narrow it down so she could have many career paths incase she may not want to pursue e.g science. So I think art, humanity and maybe a science or social science may be alright?

Much appreciated for the advice in advance and thank you for taking your time to read it
-Trickia xx
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a final year accounting student holding a graduate offer from a top 10 firm. For career paths, sometimes the degree subject doesnt matter. This is particularly the case with fields like accounting, finance or financial services/corporate finance (banking, financial markets etc). For other subjects, it does. If she is considering the above careers I mentioned as possible options, she doesnt have to worry too much about what degree subject she does and therefore doesnt need to worry too much about picking mathematical or science based a levels.

Science based fields will matter though. My tip would be to ask her what fields she'd be interested in that would normally mean humanities subjects are good for. Law is one of such areas, but while they are an advantage, its not a requirement, plus it shouldnt be a big deal I dont think as scoring high in science based a levels shows a lot of intellect plus scoring high in the LNAT takes precedence I assume.

I would say pick 2 science A levels over a humanities subject, unless she's SURE she wants to do a specific humanities subject at uni like history where it would be required. Fields where it would be considered advantageous do not absolutely require it, though thats my assumption (for law i know this to be the case). But on the other hand, science fields definitely require science subjects. So if its about keeping her options open, I'd go for science a levels.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Im M
I'm a final year accounting student holding a graduate offer from a top 10 firm. For career paths, sometimes the degree subject doesnt matter. This is particularly the case with fields like accounting, finance or financial services/corporate finance (banking, financial markets etc). For other subjects, it does. If she is considering the above careers I mentioned as possible options, she doesnt have to worry too much about what degree subject she does and therefore doesnt need to worry too much about picking mathematical or science based a levels.

Science based fields will matter though. My tip would be to ask her what fields she'd be interested in that would normally mean humanities subjects are good for. Law is one of such areas, but while they are an advantage, its not a requirement, plus it shouldnt be a big deal I dont think as scoring high in science based a levels shows a lot of intellect plus scoring high in the LNAT takes precedence I assume.

I would say pick 2 science A levels over a humanities subject, unless she's SURE she wants to do a specific humanities subject at uni like history where it would be required. Fields where it would be considered advantageous do not absolutely require it, though thats my assumption (for law i know this to be the case). But on the other hand, science fields definitely require science subjects. So if its about keeping her options open, I'd go for science a levels.

Okay thanks, it's just she isn't so strong in science although she is considering it. I just don't want her to put her all her eggs in one basket she is quite indecisive ig?

Thanks again x
Original post by Trickia
Okay thanks, it's just she isn't so strong in science although she is considering it. I just don't want her to put her all her eggs in one basket she is quite indecisive ig?

Thanks again x

She shouldn't choose science subjects if she is not strong in them - they become a lot harder at A level. She needs to pick subjects she will enjoy and therefore get the best grades. Consider psychology, sociology, geog, history, RE, languages, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
She shouldn't choose science subjects if she is not strong in them - they become a lot harder at A level. She needs to pick subjects she will enjoy and therefore get the best grades. Consider psychology, sociology, geog, history, RE, languages, etc.

Yea we talked about it more today and she is now focusing on humanities. She is worried about it not giving her a job etc. But we are trying to tell her that is irrelevant. She is now focusing on those subjects but still isn't sure.
Original post by Trickia
Hi,

This is really urgent, my friend needs to pick a levels very soon as the deadline is approaching. She is a really creative soul so she has already picked A level art. But she isn't quite sure of what to pick for her other two. I have tried helping but it seems like she doesn't quite like them to commit to it fully. What subjects could she possibly pick?

She did consider humanities e.g history? And maybe bio and chem. But as I mentioned she isn't too sure. She doesn't what to narrow it down so she could have many career paths incase she may not want to pursue e.g science. So I think art, humanity and maybe a science or social science may be alright?

Much appreciated for the advice in advance and thank you for taking your time to read it
-Trickia xx

Hi there

I think history would be a good subject to take for A levels, it will definitely help when it comes to essay writing/ coursework if she decides to go o University later on.

I think picking one science may be okay? I took biology and chemistry for A levels and I found the jump to be quite large, not just content but also the workload. I did not manage to pull my grades back up until getting in Year 13. So if her science is not too strong, maybe picking one instead of two will be better. :smile: If she does, then having art may help to balance out the workload and stress, especially if it is something she enjoys. :biggrin:

I know it is still early stages, but if she knows what course she may like to do in University/ pursue a career in, try to research what A level subjects would be helpful. If you're not sure yet don't worry either, instead focus on subjects that she's likely to achieve higher grades in. This would help widen her options in the future. :smile:)

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I think history would be a good subject to take for A levels, it will definitely help when it comes to essay writing/ coursework if she decides to go o University later on.

I think picking one science may be okay? I took biology and chemistry for A levels and I found the jump to be quite large, not just content but also the workload. I did not manage to pull my grades back up until getting in Year 13. So if her science is not too strong, maybe picking one instead of two will be better. :smile: If she does, then having art may help to balance out the workload and stress, especially if it is something she enjoys. :biggrin:

I know it is still early stages, but if she knows what course she may like to do in University/ pursue a career in, try to research what A level subjects would be helpful. If you're not sure yet don't worry either, instead focus on subjects that she's likely to achieve higher grades in. This would help widen her options in the future. :smile:)

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately she has no clue what she wants so we are trying to keep her options open. If it's any science it would be just biology haha.
Tysm xx
Reply 7
Hi,

I know I'm not nearly as qualified as everyone else who has already replied to the thread but I am a Year 13 student taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

I would your friend against taking Chemistry as she hadn't already set her heart on taking it and I find it can be a pretty unforgiving subject. However, I do think Biology would be a good choice, I would say it's easier than Chemistry and is a pretty fun A-Level if she's into science.

As for History, I can't really say much except I have a friend who takes history and he loves the subject, as long as your friend doesn't mind writing essays and doing coursework she should be fine.

Hope that helps and I wish you and your friend the best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Trickia

Thanks again x

If she isn't strong in science....avoid science A levels like the plague. A level sciences are incredibly difficult for those who ARE good at it - never those who aren't! Take it from me, someone who did Biology and Chemistry at A level.
Reply 9
Original post by Jieay20
Hi,

I know I'm not nearly as qualified as everyone else who has already replied to the thread but I am a Year 13 student taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

I would your friend against taking Chemistry as she hadn't already set her heart on taking it and I find it can be a pretty unforgiving subject. However, I do think Biology would be a good choice, I would say it's easier than Chemistry and is a pretty fun A-Level if she's into science.

As for History, I can't really say much except I have a friend who takes history and he loves the subject, as long as your friend doesn't mind writing essays and doing coursework she should be fine.

Hope that helps and I wish you and your friend the best of luck :smile:

Thank you, we are telling her to do what's she's better at but she's too focused on jobs and we are trying to tell her that isn't really important.
Reply 10
Original post by Trickia
Thank you, we are telling her to do what's she's better at but she's too focused on jobs and we are trying to tell her that isn't really important.

Tell her that if she picks a subject she's not good at and ends up getting a terrible grade for it at A level, her chances of getting a job will be affected by that anyways.

Like I said, science a levels are incredibly hard for those who are good at them, never mind for those who aren't.
Original post by Trickia

Why is the decision urgent - few schools have a deadline this early. Your 'friend' needs to talk to a teacher or a careers adviser.
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
Why is the decision urgent - few schools have a deadline this early. Your 'friend' needs to talk to a teacher or a careers adviser.

It works slightly differently in different schools/county. She has talked to the careers advisor but it wasn't that helpful. Our year group got the chance to but many find it not useful as they could have easily found out either way.

The deadline is December as school has it has to get it done b4 January winter term. So school needs student and staff to proof everything so that if anything big happens it can be sorted. So hence why our school gave us a slightly earlier deadline. So then teachers can do their job for reference etc for 300 people b4 Christmas hols

Hope that helps explain the situation a little. The school got a career advisers from outside the school. And teachers aren't really much help.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Im M
Tell her that if she picks a subject she's not good at and ends up getting a terrible grade for it at A level, her chances of getting a job will be affected by that anyways.

Like I said, science a levels are incredibly hard for those who are good at them, never mind for those who aren't.

Will do
What about doing a BTEC instead? (If she’s more of an Arts person). Even if it’ll limit options.

No point in doing subjects that don’t enjoy, coming from experience as I stupidly said “I refuse to do any essay based subjects” so I instead did some non-essay based subjects when I should have done Sociology or Politics or a food and nutrition course.

My school did con me when it came to Economics though but still.
Original post by Trickia
It works slightly differently in different schools/county. She has talked to the careers advisor but it wasn't that helpful. Our year group got the chance to but many find it not useful as they could have easily found out either way.

The deadline is December as school has it has to get it done b4 January winter term. So school needs student and staff to proof everything so that if anything big happens it can be sorted. So hence why our school gave us a slightly earlier deadline. So then teachers can do their job for reference etc for 300 people b4 Christmas hols

Hope that helps explain the situation a little. The school got a career advisers from outside the school. And teachers aren't really much help.

So that's not urgent is it? Why do you need references?
Original post by Muttley79
So that's not urgent is it? Why do you need references?

To be fair the sixth form at my secondary school asked for references too, probably to prove you're worth letting in and will make use of opportunities I guess. If life is busy then a month isn't too long, or maybe just the staff are a little.. slow to act or need to check if there's space to put her onto the subjects she chose.
Original post by brickwallgoesbrr
To be fair the sixth form at my secondary school asked for references too, probably to prove you're worth letting in and will make use of opportunities I guess. If life is busy then a month isn't too long, or maybe just the staff are a little.. slow to act or need to check if there's space to put her onto the subjects she chose.

'Worth letting in' - there's no mention of changing schools in the OP
Reply 18
Original post by Trickia
Hi,

-Trickia xx

Couple of questions first…
1) What are her GCSE options? And what were her grades in Y10 (and if she’s done any mocks or tests what grades does she normally get)?
2) Are there any career paths she’s set on not taking?
3) What sort of science career would she go into (if that was her choice)?

It’s difficult to give an answer without knowing her interests. Art is good and will certainly be one of the least content heavy a levels if she goes for something like science or history. If she’s thinking of some career paths (like Medicine) know that there are set a levels needed (for this example chem and usually biology).

This is my view on the subjects (just clarifying not a fact just how I think people may cope).

For full disclosure I take Maths, Chem, Bio, Further Maths

Sciences. If you’re not a very sciencey person you likely won’t achieve the top grades for sciences. That being said I think Biology is the ‘easiest’ of the sciences as it’s just the facts and figures, it has less complicated concepts to understand than Physics and Chemistry

Maths is one I’d highly recommend IF she is alright at maths. Maths will open loads of doors as it is seen as a respected a level but doesn’t have as much content as the sciences. I’m personally a very maths person so I enjoy it, if she’s not it may not be the best option. I will say from what I’ve found this year maths is a lot of building on GCSEs and just remembering formulas, it doesn’t get WAY harder, but then again Maths is my strongest subject.

Humanities. History - respectable, essay skills, lot of content. Geography - fairly respectable, id say easier than history since less heavy content but more range of social and environmental geography (which combines a bit of science). Religious studies - I don’t know much about this one since i think different exam boards can have different curriculums, so if she likes it thats a good one.

Languages - employers like bilingual speakers, great if want to travel, help you find work anywhere, if you enjoy it then go for it.

Sociology, Psychology etc. Good if shes interested in people and can see herself doing a people oriented job.

Drama/music - if she absolutely loves it go for it, if not just perform outside of school

Sports - I was always awful at sports so I can't give much of an opinion here. If she wants to be an athlete 😅 but I wouldn't put it as a third option just because she's not sure or she enjoys it, similar to drama/music you can prove that talent outside of school.

If she was really stuck this would be my structure:

1) Art
2) Maths or a science (if she really struggles with these and realistically couldn't get a B (which is normally the average entry requirement of at least one a level on uni courdes) but still wants to do something sciencey to be broad, psychology is sometimes considered 'another science' since it has some science aspects to it)
3) A humanity or drama/music/sport IF she's very passionate for it.

At the end of the day she should go for what she enjoys and what she could do well in. I wouldn't reccomend something like Art, Photography, DT, as they are all so similar unless she is adament on getting into art school. I also forgot to mention English lit is highly respectable, I think most people either love it or hate it.

Best thing is to talk to a careers advisor. They'll be able to help more. And ask your teachers to. You might want to think about what are your most likely career paths (like for me in Yr11 I thought Medicine, Computing or a Maths related career. I'm now working towards Medicine, but I kept my options open by taking FM which is essential for computing, highly recommended for maths, and doesn't even get considered by most med schools).

It is her decision though, let her know that she shouldn't choose things just to keep options open. Pick things you like or you'll dread school 😂
Reply 19
Hi, I appreciate all the responses. So I will try my best to answer it all in this reply.

Btecs aren't offered and my friend doesn't want to stay in our own school sixth form. She wants to go else where. She has considered college but she is leaning more to alvls hence the focus on that.

Her last mocks I'm not quite sure what she got. But she got 4, 5, 6 in her subjects and an 8 or 9 in art and ethics. And we are currently doing mocks rn.

On terms of career paths she doesn't want anything maths, English ig, engineering. I don't quite know what she preferably wants as she said a lot she doesn't like and nothing she does except art.

She likes biology specifically human biology. If she had to go to science if would be something that allows her to be creative. But overall sciences and maths is her weak points.

And it is urgent has teachers need to do other things to our form e.g references I have mentioned. Also it's the tutors who need to write smth. Then our head of year has to double check everything write a reference of his own. Bear in mind this is like 300 kids hence the deadline. This needs to be done by mid December. And the teachers have other commitments to worry about
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest