The Student Room Group

School leaver accountant/finance program with these alevels?

In yr 12 rn and im doing psychology, english language and history for alevels. Im thinking about career options and im considering freelance writing or major in psychology, but have recently considered accounting.

Ive started doing research and have found out about some of the best firms like ey, pwc, kpmg, etc and I know working at the big 4 is a pretty big pipedream, but if I get good grades in alevel year 2 (A*AA or AAB) in these subjects im studying, do i have a chance in a good firm?

As i hear you dont necessarily need math at alevel (depending on what u major, i want to get into tax) and have a level 6 at gcse. Im not studying business or economics so am I at too much of a disadvantage to succeed in accounting?
Reply 1
Hi, when I was in year 12, I took part in work experience with PwC, KPMG and Deloitte. One FAQ that was raised was whether you needed to do maths/business/economics a-level to succeed in accounting. However, we were constantly reaasured that’s not the case, and that you can still do well without taking those a-levels. So although they may help in a career in accountancy, they are not required. The grades that you're hoping to achieve are great and exceed most of the grade requirements for big4 apprenticeships that I've come across. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MonoAno555
In yr 12 rn and im doing psychology, english language and history for alevels. Im thinking about career options and im considering freelance writing or major in psychology, but have recently considered accounting.

Ive started doing research and have found out about some of the best firms like ey, pwc, kpmg, etc and I know working at the big 4 is a pretty big pipedream, but if I get good grades in alevel year 2 (A*AA or AAB) in these subjects im studying, do i have a chance in a good firm?

As i hear you dont necessarily need math at alevel (depending on what u major, i want to get into tax) and have a level 6 at gcse. Im not studying business or economics so am I at too much of a disadvantage to succeed in accounting?

Yes - you have a perfectly good chance. Your A levels are fine. Its pretty rare for anyone in accounting to care about A levels in business or economics. Your scores on assessment tests and interviews are far more important.
Reply 3
Original post by Lo12
Hi, when I was in year 12, I took part in work experience with PwC, KPMG and Deloitte. One FAQ that was raised was whether you needed to do maths/business/economics a-level to succeed in accounting. However, we were constantly reaasured that’s not the case, and that you can still do well without taking those a-levels. So although they may help in a career in accountancy, they are not required. The grades that you're hoping to achieve are great and exceed most of the grade requirements for big4 apprenticeships that I've come across. I hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, this help me alot, very reassuring😄👍
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - you have a perfectly good chance. Your A levels are fine. Its pretty rare for anyone in accounting to care about A levels in business or economics. Your scores on assessment tests and interviews are far more important.

I see. Thanks, i will definetly take note of this
It depends on the firm. Some are more open than others when it comes to considering qualifications. I got into the Big 4 with two A levels -- a B in Music and a C in English Literature. Provided that the rest of your CV is alright, you present yourself well, and you perform well in the assessments, you should be in for a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending