The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get an apprenticeship if I’m getting a degree

Hi
I’m currently studying for my undergraduate in international political economy and I’m in my last year. I’ve been thinking about getting into an accounting apprenticeship and I was wondering if they would accept me.
Thanks
Reply 1
If the academic portion of the degree apprenticeship isn’t a duplication of your prior learning, then you’re eligible.
Original post by StressedDucks
Hi
I’m currently studying for my undergraduate in international political economy and I’m in my last year. I’ve been thinking about getting into an accounting apprenticeship and I was wondering if they would accept me.
Thanks

In practice yes, in reality no. The degree makes you illegible for most apprenticeships. Someone should have told you this before you started the degree but anyway…
Reply 3
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
In practice yes, in reality no. The degree makes you illegible for most apprenticeships. Someone should have told you this before you started the degree but anyway…

That’s not correct.

Page 14, paragraph 29.1.1. Of the apprenticeship funding rules details that you can omit material from your apprenticeship with prior learning. You must have 12 months worth of learning remaining to still be eligible for funding.

The apprenticeship provider is responsible for conducting this assessment prior to request of funding.

Basically, if your prior learning doesn’t duplicate the learning included in the apprenticeship in full, you can be funded, and therefore be accepted on the apprenticeship.

Source:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653b726de6c9680014aa9c05/Apprenticeship_funding_rules_2324_Version_2.pdf
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Chris2892
That’s not correct.

Page 14, paragraph 29.1.1. Of the apprenticeship funding rules details that you can omit material from your apprenticeship with prior learning. You must have 12 months worth of learning remaining to still be eligible for funding.

The apprenticeship provider is responsible for conducting this assessment prior to request of funding.

Basically, if your prior learning doesn’t duplicate the learning included in the apprenticeship in full, you can be funded, and therefore be accepted on the apprenticeship.

Source:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653b726de6c9680014aa9c05/Apprenticeship_funding_rules_2324_Version_2.pdf

Yes but in reality this does not happen very often. If you are going up against 18/19 year old school leavers they will take the school leavers every time because the apprenticeship employers want to pay the apprentices less. I applied to countless apprenticeships (Level 3, A - Level - most were unrelated to my level 4 qualification) when I was in possession of a Level 4 qualification and I was rejected every time, mainly because of my age and qualifications.
Reply 5
Yes but in reality this does not happen very often. If you are going up against 18/19 year old school leavers they will take the school leavers every time because the apprenticeship employers want to pay the apprentices less. I applied to countless apprenticeships (Level 3, A - Level - most were unrelated to my level 4 qualification) when I was in possession of a Level 4 qualification and I was rejected every time, mainly because of my age and qualifications.

That employer will exist, for sure.
Though, you’ve shifted from a hard no to, ~ it depends on the employer’s preference, which I agree is more accurate.
That employer will exist, for sure.
Though, you’ve shifted from a hard no to, ~ it depends on the employer’s preference, which I agree is more accurate.

I know they exist, but it is unlikely that you will get one with a degree (in my opinion)
Reply 7
Hi
Thanks

There were plenty L7 apprenticeships in accounting and finance fields which are aimed at people with degrees. BBC for example and EY do them(the ones I’ve seen) and I’m certain plenty other companies do too. That being said; you can get an apprenticeship in a field different to your degree but you might have to take the pay cut cuz the salary is non negotiable. Very few companies pay well but others you’ll be looking around £21-25K. If you’re happy with that then apply
Reply 8

Ah damn ! Thanks
Reply 9
That’s not correct.

Source:

Thanks
Original post by ssaara22
There were plenty L7 apprenticeships in accounting and finance fields which are aimed at people with degrees. BBC for example and EY do them(the ones I’ve seen) and I’m certain plenty other companies do too. That being said; you can get an apprenticeship in a field different to your degree but you might have to take the pay cut cuz the salary is non negotiable. Very few companies pay well but others you’ll be looking around £21-25K. If you’re happy with that then apply

Thanks
Ah damn ! Thanks

No worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending