The Student Room Group

Bsc accounting and finance

What should be the preference order between these unis for bsc accounting and finance Bayes business school( city university of London), Birmingham, Leeds,Cardiff rejected from Manchester as they are asking for 3A* previously it has been 2A,1b
Original post by Xr king
What should be the preference order between these unis for bsc accounting and finance Bayes business school( city university of London), Birmingham, Leeds,Cardiff rejected from Manchester as they are asking for 3A* previously it has been 2A,1b

Are you sure Manchester "are asking for 3A*". So it's gone up four grades from the "2A,1b" they requested previously? Their web suggests they're looking for AAA.

Do you have offers from the other four? Did you have the opportunity to go to open days at each? Which did you prefer?

What are you looking for in a uni / course? What are your criteria?
Reply 2
Being an international student couldn’t attend open days. Want to a go to a uni who is well reknowned and targeted by the employers
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Are you sure Manchester "are asking for 3A*". So it's gone up four grades from the "2A,1b" they requested previously? Their web suggests they're looking for AAA.

Do you have offers from the other four? Did you have the opportunity to go to open days at each? Which did you prefer?

What are you looking for in a uni / course? What are your criteria?

As I have 6A*/A, b and c in gcse. A,b in alevel and for economics predicted grade is A my councellor have told me those who received offers they are asking for 3A* keeping this aside I applied as they usually asked for 2A,1b contextual offer
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Xr king
Being an international student couldn’t attend open days. Want to a go to a uni who is well reknowned and targeted by the employers

OK. So we can check those criteria in a few different ways. QS World University Rankings in large part base their tables on a surveys they send out to academic and employers around the world.

If we focus on Academic Reputation alone (link), then your four options are in this order:
City, University of London (74.9)
University of Birmingham (68.4)
University of Leeds (64.9)
Cardiff University (64.3)

If we instead focus on Employer Reputation alone (link) then the order changes:
University of Leeds (71.6)
University of Birmingham (70.2)
Cardiff University (65.1)
City, University of London (62.7)

Another measure we can use is graduate prospects - i.e. how past graduate got on in the workplace. The data below are from TheUniGuide, which uses data from Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset . They actually record data for Accounting separately to that for Finance, so I've averaged the numbers between the two (other than Birmingham for which Finance numbers aren't available):

The first three of the figures below are six months after having graduated.

Average annual salary: Cardiff: £21,000 | City: £27,000 | Leeds: £21,250 | Birmingham: £24,000
Employed or in further education: Cardiff: 94% | City: 92% | Leeds: 99% | Birmingham: N/A
Employed in a role where degree was essential or beneficial: Cardiff: 78.5% | City: 71.5% | Leeds: 90% | Birmingham: 82%
Median earnings of graduates five years ago: Cardiff: £39,000 | City: £51,000 | Leeds: £42,000 | Birmingham: £37,000

Links to the above data:
Cardiff University
City, University of London
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham

I'm not sure whether the above is any help or not, given that it doesn't really present a very consistent picture.
Original post by Xr king
As I have 6A*/A, b and c in gcse. A,b in alevel and for economics predicted grade is A my councellor have told me those who received offers they are asking for 3A* keeping this aside I applied as they usually asked for 2A,1b contextual offer

Understood. I would be very surprised if they're asking for A*A*A* for Accounting and Finance given that their web site says, "Typical A-level offer: AAA" for BAEcon Accounting and Finance. (I know of another university which was only giving offers to candidates predicted at A*A*A* a couple of years ago, for a different course, even though the offer itself was A*AA.) I think you're right to have applied anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Xr king
Are you paying for this advice from the counsellor?

Ignore them - they are incompetent.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Are you paying for this advice from the counsellor?

Ignore them - they are incompetent.
What should I do
Reply 8
Original post by Xr king
What should I do
What offers do you have and are you waiting for offers from other universities?

Which countries might you look for work in after graduating?
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
What offers do you have and are you waiting for offers from other universities?

Which countries might you look for work in after graduating?
Got rejected from Manchester received offer from Cardiff waiting for a decision from Birmingham, Leeds and bayes business school( city university of London) which would be better option can you recommend the preferance order.Uk
Original post by DataVenia
OK. So we can check those criteria in a few different ways. QS World University Rankings in large part base their tables on a surveys they send out to academic and employers around the world.

If we focus on Academic Reputation alone (link), then your four options are in this order:
City, University of London (74.9)
University of Birmingham (68.4)
University of Leeds (64.9)
Cardiff University (64.3)

If we instead focus on Employer Reputation alone (link) then the order changes:
University of Leeds (71.6)
University of Birmingham (70.2)
Cardiff University (65.1)
City, University of London (62.7)

Another measure we can use is graduate prospects - i.e. how past graduate got on in the workplace. The data below are from TheUniGuide, which uses data from Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset . They actually record data for Accounting separately to that for Finance, so I've averaged the numbers between the two (other than Birmingham for which Finance numbers aren't available):

The first three of the figures below are six months after having graduated.

Average annual salary: Cardiff: £21,000 | City: £27,000 | Leeds: £21,250 | Birmingham: £24,000
Employed or in further education: Cardiff: 94% | City: 92% | Leeds: 99% | Birmingham: N/A
Employed in a role where degree was essential or beneficial: Cardiff: 78.5% | City: 71.5% | Leeds: 90% | Birmingham: 82%
Median earnings of graduates five years ago: Cardiff: £39,000 | City: £51,000 | Leeds: £42,000 | Birmingham: £37,000

Links to the above data:
Cardiff University
City, University of London
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham

I'm not sure whether the above is any help or not, given that it doesn't really present a very consistent picture.
Hey man, if u dun mind could you tell me where does manchester stand in the rankings?
Reply 11
Original post by tanish_ambati
Hey man, if u dun mind could you tell me where does manchester stand in the rankings?
32 in world for bsc accounting and finance and 19 overall uni qs world ranking

Do you mean generally, or with respect to Accounting and Finance specifically? There are several different organisations which produce rankings, and the rank of any university / course will vary depending on the criteria used to produce the rankings. Those criteria might not be important to you, which is why they are often of little value.

However, the Complete University Guide have them at number 5 for Accounting and Finance right now, up 5 places from last year. (source)
Original post by Xr king
32 in world for bsc accounting and finance and 19 overall uni qs world ranking
qs ranking is for masters if not wrong , does the ranking stay true for bachelors also?
qs ranking is for masters if not wrong , does the ranking stay true for bachelors also?

The QS World University Rankings by are based primarily upon reputation. They send out surveys every year to tens of thousands of academics and employers around the world.

The academics are asked asked to nominate up to 10 institutions from their country/territory of knowledge, and up to 30 institutions outside of their country/territory of knowledge, that they think are demonstrating academic excellence.

The employers do likewise, but for institutions that they rate as being the best for producing relevant graduates.

See here for further details. Due to this approach, the undergraduate / postgraduate distinction doesn't really apply. It all down to the context within which respondents choose to answer the above questions.

It's not a ranking I would advise paying any attention to, unless reputation (warranted or otherwise) is your key metric.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending