The Student Room Group

"Being offensive is an offence"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glassalice
No captions is needed to describe how ****ed this is.20210222_083525.jpg

I find this offensive on behalf of leprechauns,hippies and Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. Where do I report this hate crime and abuse by the police?

Isn't police involving themselves in political activities a crime or breaking their own rules.
Members of the police were sacked for being in the BNP.
Fortunately they have now apologised and admitted that being offensive is not an offence.
https://www.rt.com/uk/516269-uk-police-apologize-hate-campaign/
Original post by Hallouminatus
Fortunately they have now apologised and admitted that being offensive is not an offence.
https://www.rt.com/uk/516269-uk-police-apologize-hate-campaign/

20210222_123028.jpg
20210222_121950.jpg

The police have failed to acknowledge in their statement that who ever designed the billboards, also did not understand the definition of a 'hate crime'.

According to the CPS:
The term 'hate crime' can be used to describe a range of criminal behaviour where the perpetrator is motivated by hostility or demonstrates hostility towards the victim's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity.
(edited 3 years ago)

The police have failed to acknowledge in their statement that who ever designed the billboards, also did not understand the definition of a 'hate crime'.

According to the CPS:
The term 'hate crime' can be used to describe a range of criminal behaviour where the perpetrator is motivated by hostility or demonstrates hostility towards the victim's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity.

You are right. I wonder why they are so keen for people to report being offended, when many actual crimes are under-reported, and reported crimes so often unsolved. For example: only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence report it to the police, and only 5.7% of reported rape cases end in a conviction for the perpetrator.
https://rapecrisis.org.uk/get-informed/about-sexual-violence/statistics-sexual-violence/

Incidently, it's interesting that a crime in which the perpetrator is motivated by hostility towards women is not considered a hate crime.
Incidently, it's interesting that a crime in which the perpetrator is motivated by hostility towards women is not considered a hate crime.

The Law Commission has recommended it informally and has said it will make the formal recommendation sometime this year, whether the Government will actually act on it is unknown.
Also this:

https://twitter.com/MerseyPolice/status/1362688559367544832/photo/1
Which says a hate crime may or may not be a crime.
Original post by DiddyDec
The Law Commission has recommended it informally and has said it will make the formal recommendation sometime this year, whether the Government will actually act on it is unknown.

We didn't vote the law commission into power did we?

I think it's motivated by something else and doesn't that mean a very high percentage of those claims are false.
Original post by QE2
Didn't bother to read past the headline then?
It specifically states "We will not tolerate hate crime".
"Hate crime" is an offence. Simply offending someone isn't.
You don't have the right to shout "filthy ******, I hope you die" at someone in the street, no matter how much you feel you should be able to.
Stop being so triggered.

So your saying I should not shout at (Mamil) middle age men on racing bikes in lycra.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 29
whoever approved that billboard on the Merseyside Police should be fired or at least disaplined as it's not legally accurate and is misleading to the general public. no, it's not a crime to be offensive and offensiveness has nothing to do with hate crime which they were trying to raise awareness for. hate crime requires the accused to have committed another crime - such as assault or harrassment - and if it can be proven the accused while doing the act, or immediate around that time, demonstrated hostility towards the victim's race or whatever, they get a longer sentence. just being 'offensive' tho isn't going to cut it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/44/section/146
Original post by TheStupidMoon
We didn't vote the law commission into power did we?
The country will have voted somebody into power who created / appointed the law commission. Direct democracy is rather old fashioned.

OP, if you would like this thread to stay in the News forum please include a news article in the first post. Otherwise I will move the thread to a more suitable forum.
I am offended by the Merseyside police force.
Also this:

https://twitter.com/MerseyPolice/status/1362688559367544832/photo/1
Which says a hate crime may or may not be a crime.

Screenshot_2021-02-22-21-55-15-83.jpg
Reply 33
Original post by looloo2134
So your saying I should not shout at (Mamil) middle age men on racing bikes in lycra.

Given that they are probably trying to improve their fitness and health, and have as much right to be on the road as anyone else, it seems strange to want to mock or abuse them, but I don't think that would qualify as a "hate crime". However, one would have to wonder about what goes on in your head.
Reply 34
Original post by Joleee
whoever approved that billboard on the Merseyside Police should be fired or at least disaplined as it's not legally accurate and is misleading to the general public. no, it's not a crime to be offensive and offensiveness has nothing to do with hate crime which they were trying to raise awareness for. hate crime requires the accused to have committed another crime - such as assault or harrassment - and if it can be proven the accused while doing the act, or immediate around that time, demonstrated hostility towards the victim's race or whatever, they get a longer sentence. just being 'offensive' tho isn't going to cut it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/44/section/146

Given that it also clearly states that it is referring to "hate crime", the most that can be said is that the headline is inaccurate and may mislead people who only skim the headlines.
While I agree that it is misleading to a degree, if it gets people to think a bit before throwing racial, homophobic, etc insults about, then it's a good thing. Even on here, we have seen people arguing that they should be free to shout "filthy ******!" at someone with impunity. But then, people like that are already immune to rational argument.
Reply 35
Original post by Starship Trooper
Screenshot_2021-02-22-21-55-15-83.jpg

Poor analogy. "Free" and "hate" speech are subjective concepts. The laws of physics are observable and testable through repeatable experiment.
Hope this helped.
Reply 36
Simply making statements that are perceived as being offensive about a minority should not be considered a hate crime.
The example you give, should be considered a crime because it insights violence.

Incites not insights, their meanings are very different.
Reply 37
Yes, because it is again comparing dissimilar things.
Reply 38
Is what considered a hate crime?
Reply 39
No.
However, attacking someone simply because of their religion would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending