The Student Room Group

is anyone willing to help with some exam questions?

Hi, i am really struggling with some maths questions. I dont wish to be ridiculed or mocked because i really am struggling and mocking me wont help matters.
Reply 1
2021-03-04 (7).png
Reply 2
Original post by izziw19
2021-03-04 (7).png

work through the (2x+1)(3x+2) and then work through the x(3x+5) and then you'll be left with terms which you can collect and add together
then with the perfect square uhh lets say you have an equation like this:
ax^2 + bx + c
for it to be a perfect square half of b squared should be c
so one example would be:
x^2 + 6x + 9
(half of 6 is 3 and 3 squared is 9 which is in fact the third number and so its a perfect square)
i mean that's the easy way to explain it and i think you'll get a mark for proving it like that but if you want to get all technical then whatever values you have should satisfy b^2 = 4ac
Expand all the brackets and simplify (remember foil) and you will be left with a quadratic expression. You should be able to factorise this quadratic, (using ac method since the coefficient of x^2 is bigger than 1). The factorised form can be written as a square, hence showing it is a perfect square.

Alternatively, expand all brackets and simplify. Then factorise 9 from the x^2 and x terms, and complete the square. After simplifying the terms, you will note it to be in the form of 9(x+c)^2. Since 9 = 3^2. Think about what happens when two squares are multiplied together ( e.g. m^2 x n^2, can be writtern as m x m x n x n , or mn x mn, which simplifiers to mn ^2)

In terms on how to improve in such questions, revisit quadratic factorisation, expanding and simplifying brackets + algebraic proofs
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by izziw19
Hi, i am really struggling with some maths questions. I dont wish to be ridiculed or mocked because i really am struggling and mocking me wont help matters.

As @braindeadpog has said, you can approach this question by multiplying out all the brackets, grouping the resulting terms into a single quadratic and then showing that the quadratic has two identical factors. But there is another way. You could note that 3x + 5 = 3x + 2 + 3, meaning that the x(3x + 5) term can be rewritten as x(3x + 2) + 3x. The complete expression should then consist of three terms, all of which have the factor (3x + 2). This give you another way forward.
Reply 5
Thankyou so much for your help :smile:

Original post by old_engineer
As @braindeadpog has said, you can approach this question by multiplying out all the brackets, grouping the resulting terms into a single quadratic and then showing that the quadratic has two identical factors. But there is another way. You could note that 3x + 5 = 3x + 2 + 3, meaning that the x(3x + 5) term can be rewritten as x(3x + 2) + 3x. The complete expression should then consist of three terms, all of which have the factor (3x + 2). This give you another way forward.
Reply 6
Original post by IReallyDoNotKnow
Expand all the brackets and simplify (remember foil) and you will be left with a quadratic expression. You should be able to factorise this quadratic, (using ac method since the coefficient of x^2 is bigger than 1). The factorised form can be written as a square, hence showing it is a perfect square.

Alternatively, expand all brackets and simplify. Then factorise 9 from the x^2 and x terms, and complete the square. After simplifying the terms, you will note it to be in the form of 9(x+c)^2. Since 9 = 3^2. Think about what happens when two squares are multiplied together ( e.g. m^2 x n^2, can be writtern as m x m x n x n , or mn x mn, which simplifiers to mn ^2)

In terms on how to improve in such questions, revisit quadratic factorisation, expanding and simplifying brackets + algebraic proofs

Thank you so much! You are a star!
Reply 7
2021-03-04 (12).png

any ideas??
Original post by izziw19
2021-03-04 (12).png

any ideas??

What are yours? We cannot do questions for you as it's against the rules/
Reply 9
Original post by braindeadpog
work through the (2x+1)(3x+2) and then work through the x(3x+5) and then you'll be left with terms which you can collect and add together
then with the perfect square uhh lets say you have an equation like this:
ax^2 + bx + c
for it to be a perfect square half of b squared should be c
so one example would be:
x^2 + 6x + 9
(half of 6 is 3 and 3 squared is 9 which is in fact the third number and so its a perfect square)
i mean that's the easy way to explain it and i think you'll get a mark for proving it like that but if you want to get all technical then whatever values you have should satisfy b^2 = 4ac

i got this way of doing it
6x^2+7x+2
ax^2+bx+c
a=6
b=7
c=2
to be a perf square should be b^2=4ac
7^2=4x6x2
which equals 48 so would it be equal or not?
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
What are yours? We cannot do questions for you as it's against the rules/

i am not asking for ANSWERS. i am asking for help. smhhhh
Original post by izziw19
i am not asking for ANSWERS. i am asking for help. smhhhh

You need to give a starting point as that's the key ... how could you use algebra to express the ratio? For all we know this could be an assessment
Original post by izziw19
i got this way of doing it
6x^2+7x+2
ax^2+bx+c
a=6
b=7
c=2
to be a perf square should be b^2=4ac
7^2=4x6x2
which equals 48 so would it be equal or not?

Check expanding - not what I got.

Quick Reply

Latest