The Student Room Group

Sarah Everard: Missing 33-year old in South London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azagthoa
A ridiculous and nasty lie. I am a passionate antiracist and feminist. Please stop these personal attacks and engage with my points. Why do you think it is acceptable for women to live their lives in fear of male violence?

You have said a lot of racist things on the Coronavirus Megathread against white people - why do you think you keep getting those notifications from the mods?
Reply 61
A ridiculous and nasty lie. I am a passionate antiracist and feminist. Please stop these personal attacks and engage with my points. Why do you think it is acceptable for women to live their lives in fear of male violence?

Did you know that the overwhelming majority of neonaticides are carried out by the baby's own mother? You will surely agree then that all women should be required to undergo regular training in how to not murder their own babies? Or do you think it's acceptable for babies and very young children to live their lives in fear of maternal violence?
Original post by harrysbar
You have said a lot of racist things on the Coronavirus Megathread against white people - why do you think you keep getting those notifications from the mods?

Utter nonsense. I only advocate for equity, diversity and inclusion. If you think those ideas are 'racist and sexist' then I can only assume you feel oppressed due to women and BAME peoples taking up the space they have historically been denied for so long. I will no longer respond to a troll like you.
Utter nonsense. I only advocate for equity, diversity and inclusion. If you think those ideas are 'racist and sexist' then I can only assume you feel oppressed due to women and BAME peoples taking up the space they have historically been denied for so long. I will no longer respond to a troll like you.

lol...I'm a woman myself and I can assure you I don't feel oppressed
I was so upset when first hearing about this yesterday. We all need to do our bit to ensure people feel safe when walking the streets, and this doesn't include blaming women or blaming men.

I heard a shocking statistic that 97% of women in the UK have experienced sexual harassment - far too high.

What constitutes sexual harassment by the way? Would that be obvious things like assault, and things like groping, up-skirting, inappropriate action in a work place towards a female, and unwanted sexual comments?
Original post by Driving_Mad
I was so upset when first hearing about this yesterday. We all need to do our bit to ensure people feel safe when walking the streets, and this doesn't include blaming women or blaming men.

I heard a shocking statistic that 97% of women in the UK have experienced sexual harassment - far too high.

What constitutes sexual harassment by the way? Would that be obvious things like assault, and things like groping, up-skirting, inappropriate action in a work place towards a female, and unwanted sexual comments?

Sexual harassment is when you are harassed but there is a sexual element to it. If the person mentions private parts (vagina, penis and the mouth) then it becomes sexual. The sexual harassment stat is still high but I feel it's actually lower, since some women probably weren't harassed at all but just misunderstood the situation and consider it as sexual harassment.
I think it might be useful if men stop trying to explain what sexual harassment of women is.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think it might be useful if men stop trying to explain what sexual harassment of women is.

I was just asking because I wanted to gain a better understanding. Shall I not do that next time????

Original post by The RAR
Sexual harassment is when you are harassed but there is a sexual element to it. If the person mentions private parts (vagina, penis and the mouth) then it becomes sexual. The sexual harassment stat is still high but I feel it's actually lower, since some women probably weren't harassed at all but just misunderstood the situation and consider it as sexual harassment.

Okay. Sorry if you were offended by me asking I just want to get a better understanding of it all so if I speak to someone who has experienced something like this I can help them.

I was clarifying because someone said that they were talking to someone of a similar age who said their body looks hot and that it was sexual harassment, but I thought it would only be that if they continued to make inappropriate comments after being told it was uncomfortable the first time
I was just asking because I wanted to gain a better understanding. Shall I not do that next time????

Okay. Sorry if you were offended by me asking I just want to get a better understanding of it all so if I speak to someone who has experienced something like this I can help them.

I was clarifying because someone said that they were talking to someone of a similar age who said their body looks hot and that it was sexual harassment, but I thought it would only be that if they continued to make inappropriate comments after being told it was uncomfortable the first time

Two different posters, I wasn't offended at all :biggrin:
Original post by The RAR
Two different posters, I wasn't offended at all :biggrin:

Okay. All I did was ask what constitutes this type of harassment, I didn't think I was being offensive.

Would you say it is this type of harassment if a comment like about someone's body is made via text message between people of similar ages, and the woman doesn't like it? Or would it only be if they continue making those comments?

I just want to do my bit as a male in understanding more about this to help as best I can.
(edited 3 years ago)

I wasn't attacking you for asking at all. I was saying we women don't particularly enjoy the prospect of men rushing to answer your perfectly valid question.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wasn't attacking you for asking at all. I was saying we women don't particularly enjoy the prospect of men rushing to answer your perfectly valid question.

Okay. I understand.

I was asking because I know in the past when talking to a girl on text I might have complimented their body etc, but if they ever said they were uncomfortable with it I would obviously stop.

Now as I am more mature I don't do this as I don't want to offend someone unless I am sure we like each other.

We live and learn I guess.
Original post by The RAR

I always thought that adult men making lewd comments at me such as asking to see my breasts as I walked home from school was sexual harassment.

But now that a man on the internet has told me I just misunderstood the situation, I realise my irrational female brain was wrong.

Here's a life tip: don't try to invalidate people's experiences of sexual harassment, it just makes you sound ignorant.
Original post by Kitten in boots
I always thought that adult men making lewd comments at me such as asking to see my breasts as I walked home from school was sexual harassment.

But now that a man on the internet has told me I just misunderstood the situation, I realise my irrational female brain was wrong.

Here's a life tip: don't try to invalidate people's experiences of sexual harassment, it just makes you sound ignorant.

Would a girl I'm talking to via text asking to see my penis be sexual harassment? Or would it only be if I said no and she continued making inappropriate comments?
Reply 74
A lot of the social media posts on this have been a little bit embarrassing. Not people’s stories, just the posts of ‘text me when you get home’ etc as though that’s not just what everyone says to everyone?

I saw one earlier that listed 5 tips for keeping safe and it’s something I’ve done as standard since I was very young. Except for tucking my hair into my coat, which I must admit I’ve never heard a girl mention in real life.

One of the ones I saw earlier is that if a woman is walking towards you on a path, then the man should move out of the way. Didn’t society decide about 20 years ago that men shouldn’t do that as it belittles women and treats them differently to men?
Original post by Mess.
A lot of the social media posts on this have been a little bit embarrassing. Not people’s stories, just the posts of ‘text me when you get home’ etc as though that’s not just what everyone says to everyone?

I saw one earlier that listed 5 tips for keeping safe and it’s something I’ve done as standard since I was very young. Except for tucking my hair into my coat, which I must admit I’ve never heard a girl mention in real life.

One of the ones I saw earlier is that if a woman is walking towards you on a path, then the man should move out of the way. Didn’t society decide about 20 years ago that men shouldn’t do that as it belittles women and treats them differently to men?

Yeah I saw the one you mentioned in your last paragraph.

It said if you’re walking behind a woman don’t get too close and if you want to pass her cross the road and do it.

I’m all for making women feel safer on the streets but I don’t know how you can say that.

If you drop back the girl might feel like you’re following her. It feels like whatever a man does they’ll be blamed.
Original post by Kitten in boots

I mean, I never claimed that what I said is definitively true. They are just my own opinions that I formed from what I researched about sexual harassment. Just because I am a man means I cannot have a say in the matter? That sounds pretty sexist.
If some guy keeps staring at you, calling it sexual harassment is a bit of a stretch.
Reply 77
Remains are that of Sarah Everard, confirmed by the Met.

A tragedy. From a night out at a friend's and a peaceful walk home, to an innocent woman who has had her life ripped from her by one, callous, evil and opportunistic excuse of a man.

My heart goes out to Sarah's family.
Original post by Occitanie

A tragedy. From a night out at a friend's and a peaceful walk home, to an innocent woman who has had her life ripped from her by one, callous, evil and opportunistic excuse of a man.

I echo your sentiment.

There was also another women who helped the man hide the body away.

Disgusting.
Original post by Occitanie

So this attack was random? What I find very shocking about this case is that it was done by a police officer, someone who is meant to catch killers, not become one themselves. I am looking forward to when they interview the guy as to why he did it, is there more to the story or was the guy just a psychopath? I usually think of the usual suspects such as ex-husbands, ex-boyfriends, co-workers etc.. a police officer is the last person I would think of that would do something like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending