The Student Room Group

Can you get kicked out of uni for low attendance?

I attend 1-2 classes per week out of 9 and I’m wondering if you can get kicked out for this. I’m at the University of Leeds.
Original post by Anonymous
I attend 1-2 classes per week out of 9 and I’m wondering if you can get kicked out for this. I’m at the University of Leeds.

Why aren't you attending your classes?
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there!

I’m Pip, a third year TV Production student at BU. My experience has been that some lecturers may follow up if you haven’t been in a class and some don’t. Ultimately it’s your responsibility to attend lessons as an adult. Whilst I don’t think you can be ‘expelled’ for this (especially if you still do all the essential work and assignments), it may have a detrimental effect on your understanding of your course.

May I ask why you’re only attending 1–2 lessons a week? Maybe the university could give you some support 🙂

Best,
Pip

Edit:
After reading some of the other responses - I stand corrected; apologies! I still think it’s worth reaching out to your university’s support services if you’re struggling with attendance though.
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi,

As others have said, I don't think they can necessarily expel you for missing classes, although some lecturers will check in to ensure everything is okay, it may have an impact on your studies if you do not understand the course content. Lectures are important in teaching the base knowledge needed to succeed in your course and by not attending, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

At the end of the day, university is about being an adult learner which means the responsibility is on yourself to attend classes and do the work but I'd highly recommend trying to attend more classes to give yourself the best opportunity at succeeding in your course.

Best wishes,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Edit -
I've just been made aware that you can be removed from a course due to low attendance so apologies for the miscommunication. I wasn't aware as I had never actually been in the situation myself as I try not to miss any lecturers but as others have said, unless it is an optional session, attendance should be mandatory and continuous absence could lead to removal from your course.
(edited 5 months ago)

https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10108/attendance-and-absences/658/attendance
Yes, unis will regularly remove students for low attendance. How it is monitored, and what the thresholds are for action are will depend on the uni. ageshallnot has helpfully linked to Leeds's policy above.
Original post by BU Student Rep
Ultimately it’s up to you to come in to lessons as adult. Whilst I don’t think you can be ‘expelled’ for this (especially if you still do all the work and assignments),

Original post by LSBU
As others have said, I don't think they can necessarily expel you for missing classes,

As the link posted above shows - they absolutely CAN withdraw students for failing to engage. Attendance isn't optional at university unless a session has been specifically marked as optional. I'm quite concerned that either of you have got to 3rd year of a degree (including one in nursing) without understanding that.

You might want to look at your university policies:
https://intranetsp.bournemouth.ac.uk/pandptest/3K-Engagement-Attendance-Policy-and-Procedure.pdf
"To fulfil their engagement requirement, students are expected to regularly attend timetabled teaching or learning sessions and scheduled supervision or progress review sessions." "the Engagement Procedures attached to this policy may make specific provision for certain students to notify staff of their inability to attend one or more timetabled sessions"

https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/373354/Academic-Attendance-and-Engagement-Policy-and-Procedure-23-24-FINAL.pdf
"The University expects students to attend all timetabled learning events, and/or other compulsory events either online or in person." "If a student is unable to attend any sessions, they must notify the University and obtain authorisation"
Reply 7
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi there!

I’m Pip, a third year TV Production student at BU. My experience has been that some lecturers may follow up if you haven’t been in a class and some don’t. Ultimately it’s up to you to come in to lessons as adult. Whilst I don’t think you can be ‘expelled’ for this (especially if you still do all the work and assignments), it may have a detrimental effect on your understanding of your course.

May I ask why you’re only attending 1–2 lessons a week? Maybe the university could give you some support 🙂

Best,
Pip

You absolutely can be withdrawn based solely on attendance, because attendance counts as the primary mode of engagement. I have seen plenty of students booted for this, and their excuse is always 'wahhh I did the assignments'.
Reply 8
Yet another example of representatives talking from their hoops. All the time.

Hi there,

I'm unsure about Leeds but at Cardiff, you have to attend seminars and small group sessions (not lectures). If you don't attend and don't report your absence then you can be removed from the course.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,

To get the most out of your studies, it is important to attend your classes. If you aren't able to attend for any reason I would reach out to your tutor as they will be able to support you. By not attending your classes, you are effecting your chance of passing the course, this might lead you to be withdrawn from the University.

I would advise you reach out to your university who will be able to offer you advice and support.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending