The Student Room Group

Assignment makes no sense

My teacher has put brief, marking criteria and a structure plan
But he has also put an example, they example is complete different then everything els I’m so confused
Reply 1
Ask them for clarification.
Original post by denismith
But he has also put an example, they example is complete different then everything els I’m so confused

Hi there

For my course, sometimes the teacher would put up this year's assessment question, brief, marking criteria and structure. Alongside this, they may also include an example of an essay from previous years.

The example may be based around a different question, but includes some elements that you can learn from: perhaps the structure, how to frame the answer (e.g. counterarguments, context) that you could reference from?
If this is not the case, then I would recommend getting in touch with the teacher for clarification.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @denismith,

If you are not sure about an assignment your teacher has set, you will be best reaching out to them directly so they can explain in more detail. It will be good for them to know that you don't quite understand as there may be others in the same boat.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi,

Sometime assignment guidelines can be more confusing than helpful but the best solution to figuring out how best to approach the assignment is to reach out to your lecturer and ask for some clarification. If you are still attending lectures for this module, stay behind afterwards to ask your lecturer for some advise. If the module has already ended, I'd recommend emailing them to seek clarification about the guidelines and how best to approach the assignment.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student rep - 3rd year children's nursing

Hi there,

The easiest way to resolve this would be to ask your teacher for clarification, either through email, staying after class, or finding the time to visit their office. You could also contact other students on your course to see if they could clear things up for you.

As it has already been said, the actual context of the example may be different, but the structure may be what you could take from it and re-frame for your own essay question. Does the brief, marking criteria, and structure plan make sense to you? You could always write a draft and ask your teacher to give you some advice while clarifying your other concerns at the same time.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hi there,

If you are struggling with the brief, then I would ask your tutors for clarification as they should have time to talk to you and clarify what the assessment is. If you are struggling, it is likely that others may be too so if you ask then your tutor may be able to explain and clarify it for everybody in the class.

If this doesn't help, I would also contact your personal tutor If you have one or an academic advisor and see if you can set up a meeting with them and ask if they can clarify the assignment for you. They may be able to go though it with you and explain what it means and also explain what the example means.

I would also talk to your course mates and see if they understand the work. If they do they may be able to explain it to you and help you to understand it a bit more and if they don't understand either then at least you are in the same boat and you could go to your tutor together to ask for help which might feel less scary!

I hope this helps,

Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending