The Student Room Group

East Anglia F1 2021

Thread for people allocated to East Anglia for F1/2 from Aug 2021.

I'll be new to the area (studying in London), does anyone have any insights into general area info or how competitive hospitals are in comparison to each other (or where/how to find this info)

Scroll to see replies

unfortunately don't have any insights, as I'll be new to the area also, but i'd assume Cambridge and Papworth are more competitive than Norwich/ipswich for example, but honestly just assuming
Hi everyone, first of all, congratulations on our offer. I am not quite sure about which hospitals are competitive because I am quite low in my decile. Can anyone give us some advices?
Because they do a lot of 1 year teaching hospital, 1 year dgh, these jobs tend to be the most popular. With cambridge more popular than Norwich . For dgh West Suffolk and hinchingbrooke the most popular as commutable from cambridge.
But there is no advantage to not ranking in the order that you like the posts, as you might as well put your fav first.
There’s nothing on the website tho about cut offs, as they want everyone to just choose on what they are interested in.
(edited 3 years ago)
can you commute to west suffolk from london every day? any experience?
Hey guys, no idea on the hospital competitiveness but according to this one most ppl that got into EAFS last year scored 73-77
https://www.messly.com/blog/allocation-scores-for-foundation-schools-in-2020
Original post by HHaricot
Because they do a lot of 1 year teaching hospital, 1 year dgh, these jobs tend to be the most popular. With cambridge more popular than Norwich . For dgh West Suffolk and hinchingbrooke the most popular as commutable from cambridge.
But there is no advantage to not ranking in the order that you like the posts, as you might as well put your fav first.
There’s nothing on the website tho about cut offs, as they want everyone to just choose on what they are interested in.

Great thank you so much for your advice!! Definitely gonna choose jobs that I am interested in, but i am afraid there might be lack of support in some hospitals (probably DGH?) Do you have any advices for the hospitals with great support from seniors? Thank you so much!!
Original post by Anonymous
Great thank you so much for your advice!! Definitely gonna choose jobs that I am interested in, but i am afraid there might be lack of support in some hospitals (probably DGH?) Do you have any advices for the hospitals with great support from seniors? Thank you so much!!

I think that the DGH have loads of med students all the time, so are usually as well clued up to support as the teaching hospitals. Things do change, but west Suffolk, Hinchingbrooke, Colchester and James paget?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CharlesD5577

Ive not tried that particular commute. However, i had a hard time when my commute one year was 90 mins each way. Just adding that to the working day is exhausting. Tho i was driving, so might not be so bad on a train.
Reply 9
Original post by CharlesD5577

Everything is possible, but I don't think it will be nice for you. Imagine you are on night shift and have to travel 1.5 hours back home, that's 3 hours back and forth, you can spend that time for sleeping
So places like Great Yarmouth, Colch, Ipsiwch, Bury St Eds are more likely to be less competitive i'm assuming right?
So places like Great Yarmouth, Colch, Ipsiwch, Bury St Eds are more likely to be less competitive i'm assuming right?

Popularity is not just based on proximity to London. :wink:

I don't know Colchester or Yarmouth so well, but Ipswich was very popular with Cambridge students back in my day and had an excellent mess, and Bury St Edmunds is a lovely little town, so there may still be a fair number of people wanting to go there!
Original post by Helenia
Popularity is not just based on proximity to London. :wink:

I don't know Colchester or Yarmouth so well, but Ipswich was very popular with Cambridge students back in my day and had an excellent mess, and Bury St Edmunds is a lovely little town, so there may still be a fair number of people wanting to go there!

thank you! and aha I've def been in London too long and its evidently telling :colondollar:
Original post by HHaricot
I think that the DGH have loads of med students all the time, so are usually as well clued up to support as the teaching hospitals. Things do change, but west Suffolk, Hinchingbrooke, Colchester and James paget?

Awesome, thank you so much! From the job list, seem like all the GP and Psy post need to arrange/ have own transportation.

In your opinion, does all of the GP and Psy post need to travel far away from hospitals?

Are these locations accessible by train/ buses?

This might be hard for me as I do not have any transportation to travel around :frown:
Does anyone know what the 2 posts called “this is a psychiatry fellowship post” mean? Do we rank them as everything else, if we haven’t applied for PFF?
Does anyone know what the 2 posts called “this is a psychiatry fellowship post” mean? Do we rank them as everything else, if we haven’t applied for PFF?

There are FPP post as well. Does that mean we will be allocated to "rural area" if we get the job?
There are FPP post as well. Does that mean we will be allocated to "rural area" if we get the job?

Where have you seen the FPP posts? I got allocated an FPP in East Anglia and accepted it, but I was interested to see which of the other FPPs I applied to got accepted by others and which didn't!

Also FPP doesn't neccesarily mean a "rural area", they're just job combinations/locations that historically aren't as popular for high scorers. I'm doing mine at Peterborough City for both years!
Original post by BackFromCydonia
Where have you seen the FPP posts? I got allocated an FPP in East Anglia and accepted it, but I was interested to see which of the other FPPs I applied to got accepted by others and which didn't!

Also FPP doesn't neccesarily mean a "rural area", they're just job combinations/locations that historically aren't as popular for high scorers. I'm doing mine at Peterborough City for both years!

Congratulation on getting your FPP! Peterborough is actually one of the city that I am considering. Not sure about the support there, but it seem to be quite a lovely city to live in. And yeah, this is what I can see from my oriel preferences. Probably you can match them up to see the job combinations? Hope this is useful :smile:
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Oh wow! Thank you so much for this, this is really interesting! Is this all of the FPP choices left over?

Also, I had a friend who worked at Peterborough for 2 years (FY2 and her first year of specialty training) and she really loved it. Says it's a lovely community and is generally well supported. Only downside was that the A&E rota was hectic and not good for people who have kids, but thankfully I don't have any of those at the moment, haha! Let me know if you end up at Peterborough next year, as we might be colleagues!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending