The Student Room Group

Can I pursue a career in Investment banking without going to Uni?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am currently at college studying a diploma in business. I am expected to get triple distinction stars.

I know it probably is the best option to go to Uni and get a degree to get into Investment Banking, however the prospect of going to Uni is so unattractive to me.

Can anyone give me advice on how I can get into Investment Banking up London without going to Uni?

My preferred choice is going through the apprenticeship route.

Doing a degree apprenticeship I wouldn’t mind?

Would appreciate any advice from people and also people who are currently in a IB apprenticeship at the moment if it is worth it.

Thanks for any help

Harrison
I don't think any investment banks (specifically the top ones/bulge brackets) offer apprenticeships. Smaller ones might do but otherwise I think going to a target uni and having a strong CV will be necessary to secure internships and then positions.
I think with investment banking it's a case of who you know. If you have contacts in the industry they can help you get your foot in the door and build up experience in the industry - then it's just a case of rising up to earn the big bucks! Obviously being a university graduate makes you eligible for the grad schemes which gets you into the firms, but it depends if you're willing or able to go to uni for 3 years first.

I recall a documentary several years back on investment banking where a top bankers got his friend, who was a market trader with no qualifications, into the industry and within a few years he was earning £250,000 per year purely because they were friends previously. If you're good at the job the firms may not always be so bothered about how many degrees you've got.
Original post by JOSH4598
I think with investment banking it's a case of who you know. If you have contacts in the industry they can help you get your foot in the door and build up experience in the industry - then it's just a case of rising up to earn the big bucks! Obviously being a university graduate makes you eligible for the grad schemes which gets you into the firms, but it depends if you're willing or able to go to uni for 3 years first.

I recall a documentary several years back on investment banking where a top bankers got his friend, who was a market trader with no qualifications, into the industry and within a few years he was earning £250,000 per year purely because they were friends previously. If you're good at the job the firms may not always be so bothered about how many degrees you've got.

Thanks Josh,

I do agree. I have been speaking to a guy who works in a boutique investment bank in Shoreditch, he was very helpful but said he couldn’t really help me.

Funny enough my mum works for Barclays in Canary Wharf and also my teacher at college worked for Barclays Investment Bank for 25 years so I guess that is quite helpful🤣
Original post by Levi.-
I don't think any investment banks (specifically the top ones/bulge brackets) offer apprenticeships. Smaller ones might do but otherwise I think going to a target uni and having a strong CV will be necessary to secure internships and then positions.

Thanks for the advice Levi!
Original post by harrisonwood
Thanks Josh,

I do agree. I have been speaking to a guy who works in a boutique investment bank in Shoreditch, he was very helpful but said he couldn’t really help me.

Funny enough my mum works for Barclays in Canary Wharf and also my teacher at college worked for Barclays Investment Bank for 25 years so I guess that is quite helpful🤣

Haha sounds like you have plenty of contacts there Harrison! Definitely puts you in a good position - good luck and hope it works out.
Original post by harrisonwood
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am currently at college studying a diploma in business. I am expected to get triple distinction stars.

I know it probably is the best option to go to Uni and get a degree to get into Investment Banking, however the prospect of going to Uni is so unattractive to me.

Can anyone give me advice on how I can get into Investment Banking up London without going to Uni?

My preferred choice is going through the apprenticeship route.

Doing a degree apprenticeship I wouldn’t mind?

Would appreciate any advice from people and also people who are currently in a IB apprenticeship at the moment if it is worth it.

Thanks for any help

Harrison

Depends what you want to do.

The reality is it's a results driven industry, if they believe you can contribute positively in front office roles then id think you could find a way. But realistically I think the percentage of people who make the move from apprenticeship to front office associate/VP is probably extremely low, and I think it would require luck and drive, you would need to land projects and face time with people in IB teams willing to take you on.

It also depends what you mean by investment banking. If you want to work on investment banking deals i.e. M&A, IPO, raising capital etc. then it will be very hard. If you just want to work in an investment bank this is much easier, their are roles in sales/trading/wealth management which are less competitive but still front office jobs (and pay very well). And then their is the back office roles IT/infrastructure/HR/technology which is very realistic.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending