The Student Room Group

Do uni names matter?

so im wanting to study at uni for economics, im not sure what i'll do after in terms of jobs, but im not sure about if i were to go into an economic-related job, would they care about what university i go to? ive done a bit of research, apparently the bigger corporate firms have a ranking list of universities, but at the same time i doubt ill go into banking or something. im only asking bc idk if i should go on a gap year and apply to higher tier unis that i was initially wanting to go to (eg bath, bristol) or settle for something 'lower'. ive still heard as many good things about these 'lower-tier' univerisites but im not sure if it'd give me a disadvantage when applying to jobs in the future
Original post by unxmutual
so im wanting to study at uni for economics, im not sure what i'll do after in terms of jobs, but im not sure about if i were to go into an economic-related job, would they care about what university i go to? ive done a bit of research, apparently the bigger corporate firms have a ranking list of universities, but at the same time i doubt ill go into banking or something. im only asking bc idk if i should go on a gap year and apply to higher tier unis that i was initially wanting to go to (eg bath, bristol) or settle for something 'lower'. ive still heard as many good things about these 'lower-tier' univerisites but im not sure if it'd give me a disadvantage when applying to jobs in the future

You are using somewhat vague terms like "economic-related job" and "corporate firms" without being specific about what you are looking at.

Yes, investment banks and management consultancies have target uni lists. I would not consider these "economic-related" jobs. Anyone with any degree can go into those roles, as long as they go to a target uni and get appropriate work experience and prepare for interviews etc. Plenty of people do classics, music, biology, etc and go into those jobs.

Economics related roles are things like economics service positions in the civil service, economic policy related roles in e.g. NGOs, central banks etc, and so on. Those are the roles that only economics grads can do.

Other roles and companies do not care where you went to uni. Big 4 accounting firms don't care where you studied, generalist grad schemes at other major multinational businesses don't care where you studied, etc.

It literally only matters for investment banking and management consulting. If you aren't aiming for those, go wherever you wish. The primary differentiator in that case will be your work experience and how well you prepare for assessment centre activities and their psychometric tests.
Original post by artful_lounger
You are using somewhat vague terms like "economic-related job" and "corporate firms" without being specific about what you are looking at.

Yes, investment banks and management consultancies have target uni lists. I would not consider these "economic-related" jobs. Anyone with any degree can go into those roles, as long as they go to a target uni and get appropriate work experience and prepare for interviews etc. Plenty of people do classics, music, biology, etc and go into those jobs.

Economics related roles are things like economics service positions in the civil service, economic policy related roles in e.g. NGOs, central banks etc, and so on. Those are the roles that only economics grads can do.

Other roles and companies do not care where you went to uni. Big 4 accounting firms don't care where you studied, generalist grad schemes at other major multinational businesses don't care where you studied, etc.

It literally only matters for investment banking and management consulting. If you aren't aiming for those, go wherever you wish. The primary differentiator in that case will be your work experience and how well you prepare for assessment centre activities and their psychometric tests.

In addition to the above poster's great explanation of the careers landscape & requirements, it should also be noted that even with some of the more elitist industries like investment banking and strategy consulting, it's still possible to get in from places below the likes of Bristol/Bath/etc.

It's more that it gets progressively more difficult for an average student at each university to get into these fields as you go down the university rankings. People still get in from lower unis than the ones you mentioned, it's just the top unis account for a disproportionately large % of the recruitment intake in these very specific industries.
Reply 3
What about Nottingham? Bath's only 48th in the country for research quality in Economics, according to Thecompleteuniversityguide. Nottingham's 5th. Leeds is 11th.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Unfortunately most employers like to select from the Russell group universities
Reply 5
Original post by dbsb3272ds
Unfortunately most employers like to select from the Russell group universities

Bath's not in the Russell Group. And Leicester, not in the Russell Group, is often ranked a top 10 place for Medicine by any criteria but entry standards.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Picnicl
What about Nottingham? Bath's only 48th in the country for research quality in Economics, according to Thecompleteuniversityguide. Nottingham's 5th. Leeds is 11th.

Both Nottingham and Bath are very good for economics, roughly in the top 5-10th range of UK universities in terms of economics course quality and economics/finance-related careers.

Firstly, the complete university guide is useless, if you don't believe me look through their ranking methodology and see for yourself. Second, why would the OP care about economic research quality, they're not doing a PhD. Research quality barely impacts undergrads.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BenRyan99
In addition to the above poster's great explanation of the careers landscape & requirements, it should also be noted that even with some of the more elitist industries like investment banking and strategy consulting, it's still possible to get in from places below the likes of Bristol/Bath/etc.

It's more that it gets progressively more difficult for an average student at each university to get into these fields as you go down the university rankings. People still get in from lower unis than the ones you mentioned, it's just the top unis account for a disproportionately large % of the recruitment intake in these very specific industries.

I see, that is very helpful thank you. To be honest I'm not sure what career I want to go to in the future, but that means I want to keep my options open, so I suppose settling for a higher rated uni might be better? I'm not too sure haha but this has helped thank you for the reply
Reply 8
Original post by Picnicl

oo thank you four the recommendation, I have checked over Nottingham before but it is too far away from where I want to be. plus i dont think research quality is a priority for me at the moment, actually the whole 'russel' title has made me doubtful about the quality of universities, since i wouldn't automatically assume good quality of research would equate to a good education for me personally if that makes sense. but thank u for the reply!
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger

yes sorry for my vague comments, i know a degree is applicable basically anywhere and 'economics-related jobs' is broad but since I'm not sure on what to do in the future career-wise I want to keep my options as open as possible. For instance maybe I'd want to go for investment banking but since I didn't go to a 'sufficient' unviersity the likelihood of me working in that sector ,or the best part of that sector, would decrease. Thank you for the response, it is very helpful!
Original post by unxmutual

Hi there,

This question is very difficult to answer. Some universities do have links to companies through their placement and graduate programmes in which case you have an advantage as you may hear of the opportunities first, or receive help in your applications to the companies. There is some chance that you may be favoured through placement from these "higher" universities.

However, a degree is a degree. While it's good to consider the quality of the university you apply to, I wouldn't choose my university solely based off of what companies might think later. You will still receive a degree and that is all that is required from graduating from any university.

Hope this helped,
Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending