The Student Room Group

Free/Affordable Extracurricular opportunities

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any free/affordable extra curricular opportunities? I'm looking for something new, I'd like to do something like Lamda or dance grades but that's a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I'm up for anything really so please share anything you know of. If you know of any summer courses/experiences which aren't too expensive them please let me know too. I'm 14 by the way.

Thanks for your help!
Have you checked out NCS? I think they are going forward this year and all my friends who did it said it was a lot of fun. It was extremely good value for the money you pay and you get to meet and do so many new activities! You could also do some virtual work experience like observegp or look up any online free courses like Havard courses etc.
Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Oh maybe try signing up to do the Duke of Edinburgh award! There's different levels, and when you sign up, maybe through your school, they'll help you get onto volunteering/work experience programmes, plus doing an extra curricular skills is a part of it too so they should be able to help with that. Looks great on college/uni applications
As mentioned, NCS (although you're a little young at the moment) and DofE are great.

I would also suggest looking at youth groups (if you look at Youth United, they have many affiliated groups) - these are groups like scouts, cadets, etc. These are great at offering a range of skills and experiences. Equally, youth clubs around you may offer drama/dance/music activities. I would try doing a google or reaching out to your school who may know of such clubs!
Volunteering is also great, whether it be with homeless people or animals. It makes you are well-rounded person and it looks good on your CV too! Not sure if it's exactly an extracurricular but just thought to share it with you anyways.
Reply 5
Join a choir? These tend to be cheap and, if you're prepared to take the religion that goes with it, a church choir might also earn you a bit of money (weddings etc)
Original post by Compost
Join a choir? These tend to be cheap and, if you're prepared to take the religion that goes with it, a church choir might also earn you a bit of money (weddings etc)

There might also be choirs in school, in my school there are. 😁
Original post by elamle
Oh maybe try signing up to do the Duke of Edinburgh award! There's different levels, and when you sign up, maybe through your school, they'll help you get onto volunteering/work experience programmes, plus doing an extra curricular skills is a part of it too so they should be able to help with that. Looks great on college/uni applications

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I’m currently doing my bronze DofE at the moment!
Original post by MatthewAteYou
As mentioned, NCS (although you're a little young at the moment) and DofE are great.

I would also suggest looking at youth groups (if you look at Youth United, they have many affiliated groups) - these are groups like scouts, cadets, etc. These are great at offering a range of skills and experiences. Equally, youth clubs around you may offer drama/dance/music activities. I would try doing a google or reaching out to your school who may know of such clubs!

Thanks. I’ll check it out!
Original post by FluffyPaws1230
Volunteering is also great, whether it be with homeless people or animals. It makes you are well-rounded person and it looks good on your CV too! Not sure if it's exactly an extracurricular but just thought to share it with you anyways.

Thanks ! I’m actually starting to volunteer at a rainbows unit in a few weeks so hopefully that’ll be fun!
Original post by Compost

Thanks for the idea. I’ll look into it
DEA is free of charge. It involves both indoor and outfoor activities.
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any free/affordable extra curricular opportunities? I'm looking for something new, I'd like to do something like Lamda or dance grades but that's a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I'm up for anything really so please share anything you know of. If you know of any summer courses/experiences which aren't too expensive them please let me know too. I'm 14 by the way.

Thanks for your help!

why do you want to do it? Is it for something new and fun to do or is it to build your CV? coz I have different recommendations depending which one it is
Original post by elamle

DEA consists of four components:
Services - voluntary work
Skills - indoor activities
Recreation - sports
Expedition - outdoor hiking
Original post by isobeln
why do you want to do it? Is it for something new and fun to do or is it to build your CV? coz I have different recommendations depending which one it is

Thanks for your reply! It's for both reasons really so please share anything that you know of!
Original post by Äries
DEA consists of four components:
Services - voluntary work
Skills - indoor activities
Recreation - sports
Expedition - outdoor hiking

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm actually in the middle of my bronze DofE at the moment!
I've finished the bronze level for a number of years. Hope you can progress to higher level in future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest