The Student Room Group

work experience/supercircular help needed!!

Hi I'm currently in year 12, and have aspirations to study biology at uni, just wondering if anyone had any advice on work experience or super circulars linked to biology that might help boost my person statement? I've currently applied to a number of bioscience summer school but thats about it
thank youu :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by glitteryma_
Hi I'm currently in year 12, and have aspirations to study biology at uni, just wondering if anyone had any advice on work experience or super circulars linked to biology that might help boost my person statement? I've currently applied to a number of bioscience summer school but thats about it

What area of Biology? If you live near Hull, Smith and Nephew are very open to work experiences in their labs

Hey @glitteryma_

If your school has any extracurriculars e.g. dissection club, join them! If your school doesn't have any relevant clubs why not form a science discussion club and have someone present a topic they've researched once a week. I'm sure lots of other science applicants would join as it would also help their personal statement.

A really easy way to demonstrate further reading and passion for the subject is to complete a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course), there's a lot that are free and fairly fast to complete and websites like FutureLearn have a lot of biology related courses!

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:

Greetings @glitteryma_ !

It's great that you're already thinking about work experience and extracurricular activities to boost your personal statement for biology! Here are some ideas for activities that may help:

Shadowing: You could try shadowing a researcher or clinician in a biology-related field to get a better understanding of what a career in biology might look like. Contact local -research labs, or hospitals to inquire about opportunities.

Volunteering: Consider volunteering at a local hospital or charity that focuses on a biology-related issue, such as a wildlife conservation organization. This can show your dedication to biology and make you stand out to admissions committees.

Research: If you have the opportunity to conduct research, take it! This can be through a summer research program which you have stated that you have already applied, working with a professor, or conducting your own independent research project. Not only will this give you valuable skills and knowledge, but it will also show your commitment to the field.

Extracurricular activities: Joining biology-related clubs or organizations at your school, such as a science club or ecology club, can show your interest in the field and give you opportunities to learn more about biology.

Online courses: There are many free online courses available that cover various aspects of biology, such as cell biology, genetics, and ecology. Taking one of these courses and including it in your personal statement can show your dedication to learning about biology.

Competitions: Participating in biology-related competitions or events, such as science fairs or research symposiums, can show your dedication and passion for the subject.

I hope these will give you insight, wish you a successful application process!

Best Wishes,

Saba
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 4

if you search for Cambridge natural sciences suggested reading list there's extra reading books for different areas of bio that they think would be accessible for sixth formers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending