The Student Room Group

Romeo and juliet help!!!

which of the male characters in Romeo and juliet do you have the most sympathy?Write about how shakespeare creates sympathy for your chosen character [25]
What and who can i write about to get top marks??
you could write about Romeo and how the audience knows he is doomed from the start (because of the prologue) and even though we see him falling in love with Juliet, we know it can't end well and so we sympathise with him
Reply 2
Original post by average_human
you could write about Romeo and how the audience knows he is doomed from the start (because of the prologue) and even though we see him falling in love with Juliet, we know it can't end well and so we sympathise with him

Thankyouu! If you don’t mind can you give me an introduction to start me off? I really struggle with starting my essays off
Original post by Girlbyeee
Thankyouu! If you don’t mind can you give me an introduction to start me off? I really struggle with starting my essays off

me too! I'll try :smile:

Throughout the play, Shakespeare constantly reminds the reader of Romeo's fate, and so even though Romeo has a tragic flaw (impetuosity) the audience still sympathises with him as we know will die and never get to be with Juliet.

I don't know how much you have to write after that, but you could talk about the prologue-maybe use the quote 'star crossed lovers' to show how it's basically Romeo and Juliet's destiny to die. You could talk about the feud between the Capulets and Montagues, and how Romeo and Juliet are kind of stuck in the middle (and Romeo's friend Mercutio is killed, and Romeo is so angry and upset that he kills Tybalt)

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
me too! I'll try :smile:

Throughout the play, Shakespeare constantly reminds the reader of Romeo's fate, and so even though Romeo has a tragic flaw (impetuosity) the audience still sympathises with him as we know will die and never get to be with Juliet.

I don't know how much you have to write after that, but you could talk about the prologue-maybe use the quote 'star crossed lovers' to show how it's basically Romeo and Juliet's destiny to die. You could talk about the feud between the Capulets and Montagues, and how Romeo and Juliet are kind of stuck in the middle (and Romeo's friend Mercutio is killed, and Romeo is so angry and upset that he kills Tybalt)

hope this helps :smile:

Omg thank you!
Original post by Girlbyeee
Omg thank you!

No problem good luck :smile:
Reply 6
glad I'm not the only one trying to find help with this, my exam is literally tomorrow and I still have the other two papers to revise as well as this
Original post by alexotl
glad I'm not the only one trying to find help with this, my exam is literally tomorrow and I still have the other two papers to revise as well as this

Mine's in two weeks-how many quotes are you guys learning. Our teacher told us 60-is that too much ! :frown:
Reply 8
I have my exam tomorrow.... so nervous. What key topics did you talk about ?
Someone's already suggested Romeo, so I won't do that. I think Mercutio is a great one. He sees everything differently and tries to advise people in a more realistic way. He gets killed for supporting the Montagues and blames them for fighting. You can also tell that he's been hurt before, which is why he doesn't want people to have false hope.
(edited 2 years ago)
Mine's in two weeks-how many quotes are you guys learning. Our teacher told us 60-is that too much ! :frown:

60 sounds like a bit much. Just try to learn a few for each character and theme and make sure they're spread across the play. If you overdo it, you'll be more likely to forget them all. They don't have be exact either, you can paraphrase slightly, but not too much as then it's not so much of a quote.
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Someone's already suggested Romeo, so I won't do that. I think Mercutio is a great one. He sees everything differently and tries to advise people in a more realistic way. He gets killed for supporting the Montagues and blames them for fighting. You can also tell that he's been hurt before, which is why he doesn't want people to have false hope.

Omg thank you so much, that is so helpful !!! Is it ok if you could possibly go more into depth on your last point. I find it a really interesting view ans was just wondering if you could expand? No rush
Original post by Luuuuuuu
Omg thank you so much, that is so helpful !!! Is it ok if you could possibly go more into depth on your last point. I find it a really interesting view ans was just wondering if you could expand? No rush

No problem. Yeah, that's fine. In Act 1 Scene 4, Mercutio does his "Queen Mab" speech as Romeo is heartbroken about Rosaline. It's a monologue about how people who hope for love are visited by fairies. It starts off nice- talking about love and Queen Mab coming in her cute chariot- but develops into something more dark, where she makes all the things they dream of into sinister thoughts. He says that people shouldn't want for love and it's for children. It makes the audience think that he's been hurt before and wants to be more realistic to prevent his friends form getting hurt. It also foreshadows the death of Romeo and Juliet, which makes us sympathise for him because he tried to advise his friend and died because Romeo never listened. Here's the link to the speech: Speech. I hope this is helpful!! :smile:

60 sounds like a bit much. Just try to learn a few for each character and theme and make sure they're spread across the play. If you overdo it, you'll be more likely to forget them all. They don't have be exact either, you can paraphrase slightly, but not too much as then it's not so much of a quote.

our school has just told us that our question will be on Juliet, so at least that reduces the amount of quotes we have to learn :smile:
our school has just told us that our question will be on Juliet, so at least that reduces the amount of quotes we have to learn :smile:

Ah ok that's good. I'd give the play a read through again and write down all the important quotes; these can be things Juliet says herself, stage directions or what other characters say about her. Try to find some in different places to make sure you can get character development.
Ah ok that's good. I'd give the play a read through again and write down all the important quotes; these can be things Juliet says herself, stage directions or what other characters say about her. Try to find some in different places to make sure you can get character development.

thank you!
thank you!

No problem! Anything else you want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending