The Student Room Group

Can I develop a source of passive income over 1 year from self taught-programming ?

My friend said that it is not a good skill to learn if you want to make money passively ; he said that trading stocks is the best bet, as little ad revenue is generated off of games, and that is assuming they go viral, which is very unlikely. Moreover, he said java script may be worth learning just to make quick bucks from website developing.

I have one year to learn a skill for about 3 hours a day.

What should I invest this time in ?

Thanks.
Whether you can make money passively with programming has nothing to do with programming itself, but rather whether you have a good business idea.
if you have you dont even need to learn programming, just hire someone to code for you.

Dont learn programming for money , it will be painful. learn it because you like it.

Trading stock isnt a passive income either, esp if you are going holding stocks for the short term. Having to analyze company's balance sheet and income statement everyday and keep up with world events is hardly passive.
btw its javascript not java script.
Reply 3
Original post by HucktheForde
Whether you can make money passively with programming has nothing to do with programming itself, but rather whether you have a good business idea.
if you have you dont even need to learn programming, just hire someone to code for you.

Dont learn programming for money , it will be painful. learn it because you like it.

Trading stock isnt a passive income either, esp if you are going holding stocks for the short term. Having to analyze company's balance sheet and income statement everyday and keep up with world events is hardly passive.

Thank you
Reply 4
btw its javascript not java script.

It's JavaScript, not javascript :wink:
Original post by IWMTom
It's JavaScript, not javascript :wink:

grammar nazi spotted!!!
Reply 6
Original post by thedigitalnerd
stocks is not a good option unless you're financially stable enough to do so, and if you've put in the time to actually study the (relatively) volatile nature to see where you can invest your money in

What about index funds ?
Don't invest in shares or index funds unless you have money to lose. It's not that you should expect to lose it but you should be able to lose it and it not upset your wealth portfolio.

That you seek passive income from... JavaScript games!?... suggests that you do not have money to lose, so do not gamble with the money you have.

As for coding to make a passive income. Sure, it's possible. I make £1k per month passively from things I worked on many moons ago that are still running, and that's just a nice extra on top of my primary job. But as @HucktheForde said, it's the execution of an idea that people will pay for, a good business idea, that will determine whether you make any money at all. Bear in mind there are millions of people who can program, and only hundreds or thousands that make a nice tidy passive income from their ability to program. It's the idea and how well you execute it (for the market you're going for) and it's nothing to do with whether you can code or how well you can code. In fact, some of the best passive incomes I've heard about recently have been from individuals who cobbled together solutions to people's problem with virtually zero code.

Go get a strong idea first and work to validate the demand and viability, who you're competing against, etc.
Original post by lhh2003
What about index funds ?

Look up for this thing called REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust )

It is sold on legit brokers ( not those CFD brokers like etoro, xm etc etc)

It is an asset that allows you to own the earnings of real estate. So its just as good as buying a house and rent it out, minus the hassle of looking for renter and collecting rent yourself. Government mandated that 90% of the rent income must be paid to shareholders so you dont have to worry about being shafted over.
Reply 9
Look up for this thing called REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust )

It is sold on legit brokers ( not those CFD brokers like etoro, xm etc etc)

It is an asset that allows you to own the earnings of real estate. So its just as good as buying a house and rent it out, minus the hassle of looking for renter and collecting rent yourself. Government mandated that 90% of the rent income must be paid to shareholders so you dont have to worry about being shafted over.

Where did you learn about this from ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending