The Student Room Group

University has taught me one thing, what is the point in university?

Yes, thats how I truly feel. I thought I'd actually get taught stuff and be asked on a routine basis to practice and so forth on my subject. Instead I'm being spoon fed like a puppet in a play various pieces of information and its really not helping me evolve intellectually. Yes I could revise in my own time, however, I could do that without being at university and its made me think 'why the hell am I here?', 'why the hell does anyone go to university?'.

I really do not see the point in university anymore and I actually think I'm a fool in thinking it would provide me a platform to do well in life. It doesn't. It teaches you to do as you're told by an employer and to be spoon fed.

I mean, I sat there the other night and thought 'why did Steve Jobs drop out?', 'why did Zuckerberg drop out?' (not saying I'm anything like them, I'm not, I'm a completely different person, they were great people, however, more the reasoning why, it makes you think) and then i realised, probably because they realised it was a waste of time too. I don't want to be a paycheque slave in the sector. I want to innovate and learn new things but I can't do that. Im fed things I need to learn. I should be told 'go away and do xyz and meet the certain criteria set to get marks', thats research, thats making movements and making something of yourself and encouraging self development and innovation. I feel we are being led like sheep.

I see it as two ways

1) Be at university - get in loads of debt - be taught things on basis of the strict syllabus - get a degree that says I can do something but when i need to put that in practice I can't because i've been taught to regurgitate, not innovate.

2) Leave university - just pay living costs - teach myself something that I feel will land me a job - put together a portfolio - phone the company, tell them i dropped out as I thought uni was poor - keep going over stuff - then hopefully get a job - it has been done

I really don't understand why degrees are valued so much. They're pointless. We'd all be far better on job schemes where companies get investment rather than universities and you get taken on and taught by the company (apprenticeship type thing for more skilled people with higher graded a levels). So say you got straight A's at A level you would get backing from the government to be a trainee solicitor with an actual firm on the job.

Yeah, I've been looking for an answer and i don't think ill ever find one to be honest. I've actually learnt 1 thing on my course so far, the rest i've had to go back to my room and research and look up via books, something i could do at home anyway and save myself loads of money.

Anyone else feel like this? I feel so down. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clearly you're doing a course that doesn't challenge you. If you're finding everything too easy, I think you have picked the wrong course/uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Overmars
Clearly you're doing a course that doesn't challenge you. If you're finding everything too easy, I think you have picked the wrong course/uni.

Its not that.

Im finding one module really challenging purely on the basis that i don't feel like I'm being taught anything. Not an insult towards the lecturer, maybe it just doesn't fit my learning style, that can just happen in life. However, I'm not the only one feeling this way and after every lecture I need to go and research everything myself from scratch because the lecture didn't teach me anything or i didn't pick up anything. So in theory being at the lecture is a waste of time and it would be the same as just reading a book on the subject at home.

I really don't think i can win.

I stay here ---> get a degree --> get a job working for someone else rather than being innovative.

I leave ---> with no degree --> most likely won't get a job as I'll be branded a dropout and most of the time won't get the opportunity to explain why i did so.
Reply 3
Original post by jb9191

I stay here ---> get a degree --> get a job working for someone else rather than being innovative.

Why on earth are you obstructed from being innovative?
Original post by jb9191
Yes, thats how I truly feel. I thought I'd actually get taught stuff and be asked on a routine basis to practice and so forth on my subject. Instead I'm being spoon fed like a puppet in a play various pieces of information and its really not helping me evolve intellectually. Yes I could revise in my own time, however, I could do that without being at university and its made me think 'why the hell am I here?', 'why the hell does anyone go to university?'.

I really do not see the point in university anymore and I actually think I'm a fool in thinking it would provide me a platform to do well in life. It doesn't. It teaches you to do as you're told by an employer and to be spoon fed.

I mean, I sat there the other night and thought 'why did Steve Jobs drop out?', 'why did Zuckerberg drop out?' and then i realised, probably because they realised it was a waste of time too. I don't want to be a paycheque slave in the sector. I want to innovate and learn new things but I can't do that. Im fed things I need to learn. I should be told 'go away and do xyz and meet the certain criteria set to get marks', thats research, thats making movements and making something of yourself and encouraging self development and innovation. I feel we are being led like sheep.

I see it as two ways

1) Be at university - get in loads of debt - be taught things on basis of the strict syllabus - get a degree that says I can do something but when i need to put that in practice I can't because i've been taught to regurgitate, not innovate.

2) Leave university - just pay living costs - teach myself something that I feel will land me a job - put together a portfolio - phone the company, tell them i dropped out as I thought uni was poor - keep going over stuff - then hopefully get a job - it has been done

I really don't understand why degrees are valued so much. They're pointless. We'd all be far better on job schemes where companies get investment rather than universities and you get taken on and taught by the company (apprenticeship type thing for more skilled people with higher graded a levels). So say you got straight A's at A level you would get backing from the government to be a trainee solicitor with an actual firm on the job.

Yeah, I've been looking for an answer and i don't think ill ever find one to be honest. I've actually learnt 1 thing on my course so far, the rest i've had to go back to my room and research and look up via books, something i could do at home anyway and save myself loads of money.

Well said :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jb9191
Its not that.

Im finding one module really challenging purely on the basis that i don't feel like I'm being taught anything. Not an insult towards the lecturer, maybe it just doesn't fit my learning style, that can just happen in life. However, I'm not the only one feeling this way and after every lecture I need to go and research everything myself from scratch because the lecture didn't teach me anything or i didn't pick up anything. So in theory being at the lecture is a waste of time and it would be the same as just reading a book on the subject at home.

I don't understand.

You first say you're being 'spoon-fed' everything and then you say you have to research everything yourself.
Lol, they dropped out because they actually HAD ideas and didn't drop out in the hopes that they could GET ideas. Big difference. A lot of these academic failures try to justify their shortcomings by using such examples not realizing the real reasons for them dropping out. You can't just drop out in the hopes you become the next Steve jobs. Have you currently got an idea? Is it going to make you a decent income? What are the chances of success? You can't learn a new business idea. It's something that comes naturally to you and believe it or not going to university can help you with this. Remember Steve jobs speech about connecting the dots on the courses he took at university? If you're lucky enough to have a innovative mind, the dots will connect until then stay in uni because it's a far better option than dropping out. Or drop out and apply to a 'better' uni.
Reply 7
This is why I will be doing an apprenticeship and making a reputation for myself as an audio engineer when I leave college. Quite frankly, I've been in education for my whole life and I'm getting pig sick of it. I want to get out into the real world and start earning a living.
Original post by jb9191

I mean, I sat there the other night and thought 'why did Steve Jobs drop out?', 'why did Zuckerberg drop out?' and then i realised, probably because they realised it was a waste of time too. I don't want to be a paycheque slave in the sector. I want to innovate and learn new things but I can't do that. Im fed things I need to learn. I should be told 'go away and do xyz and meet the certain criteria set to get marks', thats research, thats making movements and making something of yourself and encouraging self development and innovation. I feel we are being led like sheep.

I see it as two ways

why did you mention Steve Jobs? ....again
HE WAS JUST A BUSINESSMAN!!!!!!!!
as for Zuckerberg he was a richboy,the best education all his life, best of everything, thats why he dropped out
Reply 9
Exactly what is the OP studying ?!
Original post by Overmars
I don't understand.

You first say you're being 'spoon-fed' everything and then you say you have to research everything yourself.

exactly what I thought, in my own experience I have to research everything myself..
Reply 11
Original post by Harley SMU
Exactly what is the OP studying ?!

computing.
Reply 12
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Lol, they dropped out because they actually HAD ideas and didn't drop out in the hopes that they could GET ideas. Big difference. A lot of these academic failures try to justify their shortcomings by using such examples not realizing the real reasons for them dropping out. You can't just drop out in the hopes you become the next Steve jobs. Have you currently got an idea? Is it going to make you a decent income? What are the chances of success? You can't learn a new business idea. It's something that comes naturally to you and believe it or not going to university can help you with this. Remember Steve jobs speech about connecting the dots on the courses he took at university? If you're lucky enough to have a innovative mind, the dots will connect until then stay in uni because it's a far better option than dropping out. Or drop out and apply to a 'better' uni.

I have plenty of ideas and I came here hoping I'd be provided the platform to expand on them and learn the tools needed to take those ideas to the next level and put them into practice.

Instead I'm being told 'do this' and having my own creativity suppressed and its making me feel depressed.

1. Its harder to conform to other peoples ideas because you don't have the same logical thinking as them

2. Its better to be encouraged to come up with your own innovations as if you do well you can put them to market. Not only that but if you do something you want to and its your idea you're more likely to be enthusiastic about it.

Im not being provided the platform to expand on my ideas. I go to lecture and then come home and read a book for 2 hours straight to get the faintest idea. I could do that at home or anywhere in the world and save myself time by not going to lectures. I thought university would encourage research, self creativity, it doesn't. It encourages you to become a paycheque slave who follows orders.
OP your studying what exactly in computing?
Reply 14
Original post by britishgoose01
OP your studying what exactly in computing?

programming
maths for computing
hardware
algorithms

etc.
The final year of university is where you can be creative and use your innovation.
Reply 16
Original post by AberLAD
spoon fed stuff yes.

So we're told 'do this', 'do that'. Its annoying because this sector doesn't work like that.

It restricts us from being innovative because to pass our tests we have to do as we are told like sheep. Its rather pathetic. Rather than just having a list of criteria and telling us to do our own thing, they set things and then we have to do that so we are being restricted in what we come up with.

:frown:

I'm confused - are you the OP?

Anyway, the complaints I'm reading are:

1) You're being spoon-fed everything and you're not required to be creative
2) You have to do everything yourself because the lecture doesn't teach you anything

Look -- undergrad is all about learning the foundations of your subject and practising to think abstractly about a problem.

If your problem is that you don't like going through the theory -- tough titties; everyone has to do it. In academic terms, 'creativity' comes later on with a masters/PhD after you've ticked enough boxes.

If your problem is that the theory is too formulaic and easy then you really have picked a course that is too easy for you.

My advice would be, unless you think you could get enrolled in a more challenging course easily, just go through the motions and ace the exams. It might not have been the most ideal university experience but you'll at least have the piece of paper and the recommendations required to do something useful after.
Reply 17
Original post by britishgoose01
why did you mention Steve Jobs? ....again
HE WAS JUST A BUSINESSMAN!!!!!!!!
as for Zuckerberg he was a richboy,the best education all his life, best of everything, thats why he dropped out

He clearly thinks he is on the same level as them.
Reply 18
Do you actually realise that by what you said, you're in effect challenging the entire concept of education developed by our society, over a millenia ?

Universities have a solid purpose in cognitive development. You cannot blame the entire system over a particular issue that you're having in your life , because, the chances of it being routed in the system instead of your mind, are so slim, that they shouldn't even be considered .

To trace the problem that you're having to its source, you need to have an open-mind, and accept every possibility, even when the problem points back at you !

Edit :
He clearly thinks he is on the same level as them.

You know, it's not polite to judge people out loud...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jb9191

I see it as two ways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending