The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone has heard of or know of someone who is doing this MSc offered by the University of York and its roughly just over £7000 for the entire course. Its a 2 year part-time MSc which can be extended to a total of 4 years after having spoken with the recruiter. Im really interested in hearing opinions other than the recruiters about the MSc for obvious reasons, and any input would be very much appreciated!

Just a little information, im considering studying it because currently, I dont enjoy my current career and hope to switch to an alternate career. I can say that coding has been quite interesting and stimulating thus far to study through part time online courses, but looking at some of the jobs available for software developers etc , they do prefer a degree in Computer Science although I have noticed this isnt always needed. I guess im more interested in the MSc for sake of completeness in that I hope to have a good foundation in coding. Although im unsure as to whether all the MSc's ive seen will provide the same quality, and if some are better than others.

Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there! I'm interested in the Computer Science MSc and had a similar call with a recruiter. However, I am worried that I can't find any reviews on the internet as to what the course content is like. £8,000 and two years is a large investment and wouldn't want it to be for nowt.
Reply 2
Yeah i totally agree, apparently its the first year the course is being held at the University. Just wish there was some way to get in touch with current York students ideally studying Computer Science to get their take on it. Sadly I dont have many connections :frown:
Hey Guys,I'm also interested in the Computer Science MSc. I've done some googling and York seem to have a good reputation for Computer Science in general, they are in the top 20 in the UK. Are either of you going to apply? I have completed the online application but not submitted it yet!
Reply 4
I was thinking of applying but I’m just quite weary because we’d be the first cohort doing the course from what the recruiter said. I really wish I had some contacts with current students studying Computer Science on the campus
Yeah, I can understand your concern. Which other courses are you considering? I was looking at Hertfordshire and Bath. I spoke to someone at Bath and they advised this is their first year running the course too. It costs £5k more though!
Reply 6
I have applied to the course and was admitted. It's true that the course is running for the first time although York is not a no-name university. Being part of the Russel Group is a good stamp of quality. The CS department seems to be well regarded and has a well-qualified teaching staff. I have researched almost every conversion MSc in CS around the world and couldn't find anything cheaper from a similarly ranked university (I'm Canadian). I know there's going to be downs as a first time running course, but I'm not looking to be handheld, I just want a programme that I'll use as a base to break-in computer science, be aware that in such a programme, you'll have to be independent and learn things on your own to succeed. The good thing is you have tons of resources available online to supplement your learning. What I really also like about the programme as opposed to others is that it's not a watered down version of an MSc CS, you study the real thing like Architecture, Algorithms & Data Structures, Advanced Programming, Machine Learning etc. York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US. The online learning platform is Canvas LMS which is one of the best, not your *****y typical Blackboard or Moodle, to me, this makes a difference. The Bath programme looks very good as well but I don't think it's worth 5K more and Bath is not as well regarded as York. Some other online programmes I have looked at are Northumbria, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Staffordshire, and Aberdeen. I have done a ton of research before pulling the trigger on York, if you have any question let me know otherwise I hope to see you in the online induction :smile:

** I was looking at Research Excellence Framework results and York is on par with Manchester and Edinburgh for the quality of its research in CS.

https://results.ref.ac.uk/(S(fyjw2atnemz4rhyk1e1zytds))/Results/ByUoa/11
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m thinking about doing this course as well! It’s really nice to meet others with the same questions!
(edited 5 years ago)
What programming language(s) will we learn?
The lady I spoke to mentioned Python and Javascript.
Okay thanks. I guess Python makes sense for the data analytics.Are there any LIVE parts? The lady on the phone to me said it's pre-recorded, but surely we have access to a) each other and b) the tutors. I wonder if they can give us a taster of it somehow? Do we ever all get on a video call together, for example? Otherwise it could get quite lonely I think.And is it okay to do one module, take a rest, then do another module etc? So it takes longer than two years? I think somebody above mentioned it could go up to four.
I've decided to pull the trigger too. How long did it take for you to hear back?
I heard back within a week.
Reply 13
Hi all! I'm also considering applying to this course (although probably just the CS track), so I'm pleased to have found this thread!

I'm interested for similar reasons to those mentioned by others above: York being a well-regarded institution, relatively competitive fees, distance learning, and what looks like a good course programme. It's also attractive because they don't require applicants to have a STEM undergraduate degree (which I don't have, although I am already working as a software developer). To those who have applied or are considering applying, what kind of background are you coming from?

I'm also a bit wary about joining the first cohort, and I wish there was more detailed information available about the course content (the recruiter I've been speaking to hasn't been too forthcoming about that). You can pay per-module though, so I'm quite tempted to take a risk based on that, particularly as I haven't found anything else comparable.

Original post by elideli
York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US

I'd be interested to hear more about this, because the recruiter I spoke to reassured me that the course was taught exclusively by the CS department at York. Do you have any more information?

Original post by francesmx
And is it okay to do one module, take a rest, then do another module etc? So it takes longer than two years? I think somebody above mentioned it could go up to four.

When I spoke to the recruiter today, she told me that modules are taught on a continuous schedule in blocks of eight weeks (the only breaks being one or two weeks at Christmas, Easter and in the summer). It is possible to take a break by skipping a module, but you would have to wait until it comes round again for the opportunity to take it. I guess, with multiple intakes per year, that might not be that long, but still worth bearing in mind!
Reply 14
Original post by thomc
Hi all! I'm also considering applying to this course (although probably just the CS track), so I'm pleased to have found this thread!

I'm interested for similar reasons to those mentioned by others above: York being a well-regarded institution, relatively competitive fees, distance learning, and what looks like a good course programme. It's also attractive because they don't require applicants to have a STEM undergraduate degree (which I don't have, although I am already working as a software developer). To those who have applied or are considering applying, what kind of background are you coming from?

I'm also a bit wary about joining the first cohort, and I wish there was more detailed information available about the course content (the recruiter I've been speaking to hasn't been too forthcoming about that). You can pay per-module though, so I'm quite tempted to take a risk based on that, particularly as I haven't found anything else comparable.

I'd be interested to hear more about this, because the recruiter I spoke to reassured me that the course was taught exclusively by the CS department at York. Do you have any more information?

When I spoke to the recruiter today, she told me that modules are taught on a continuous schedule in blocks of eight weeks (the only breaks being one or two weeks at Christmas, Easter and in the summer). It is possible to take a break by skipping a module, but you would have to wait until it comes round again for the opportunity to take it. I guess, with multiple intakes per year, that might not be that long, but still worth bearing in mind!

Don't get me wrong, the course is taught by York and only York. The US partner comes into play only in the marketing and delivery of the programme, as they have extensive experience delivering online programmes, they help York to make sure students gets a good experience out of the course.

As for my background, I have been a self-taught frontend web developer back in 2008 but since then I converted to IT project management. My undergraduate studies are in business administration and marketing.
Reply 15
Original post by elideli
Don't get me wrong, the course is taught by York and only York. The US partner comes into play only in the marketing and delivery of the programme, as they have extensive experience delivering online programmes, they help York to make sure students gets a good experience out of the course.

As for my background, I have been a self-taught frontend web developer back in 2008 but since then I converted to IT project management. My undergraduate studies are in business administration and marketing.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know about the teaching, and interesting to learn about your background. What's motivated you to take the course? For me it's both career prospects and a desire to plug the gaps in my CS knowledge. I studied English originally, but have a masters in Information Science. I've been working as a web developer for about four years. I'm quite tempted to get an application in this weekend!
Reply 16
Well, I was torn between doing an MBA or an MSc in Computer Science. After much research, it seems like an MBA is becoming useless while it cost a big chunk of money and CS is the future as we all know. To me, it's all about career prospects and ROI. I have also not found anything comparable, it ticks all the boxes (structure, reputation, and affordability). It's a new course but as you mentioned you pay by module and there's a 7-day money back guarantee. I think the risk is worth it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by thomc
To those who have applied or are considering applying, what kind of background are you coming from?

Hi thomc. I've applied for the course (CS track) and will be starting in April. I work in healthcare at the moment and am looking to make a career change. I can do some programming (Android development), but it's just something I have been doing on and off in my own time. Have you applied for the course?
Hi everyone, I am also looking forward to this program but couldn't any reviews on the internet. The program's website does not mention if this is its 1st year. Anyways, the University itself is well-reputed so I have accepted the offer. I did a ton of research though, and could not find any other program like this with similar cost. I have a friend who did MSc in Electrical & Telecom Engr, and his feedback was positive about the university and its CS department.

I am currently working as a network engineer in an O&M project of an evolved packet core network (EPC 4G). We sometimes also have to work on a large amount of data to determine network performance. I have some experience on VBA, VB script and python. But I would rather say I am a beginner. I am planning to take my skills to the next level and focus more on the data analytics part of my job, our organization also has a separate analysis team as well, so I would too love to join that team as I personally like what they are doing.
To those who have applied or are considering applying, what kind of background are you coming from?

Hey, I got accepted for the MSc in Comp Sci at York. Didn't realise it's the first year they're running this course. I was looking at Hertfordshire and Staffordshire initially but went for York seeing as they're Russel Group and top 20 UK for Comp Sci. Bath actually rank a bit higher in that dept but its 5k more expensive like others have mentioned and I believe it's 3 years part time rather than the 2 at York. I've been a software dev for 2 years after doing a 4 month coding bootcamp. I did my undergrad in Business and am looking to be able to travel/ move abroad with it once i've beefed up my experience. The not having a degree in a related field holds you back somewhat for visa's and in general, job apps almost always list a degree as a requirement. I'm going for it so I don't get held back in future and so I can fill in the blanks of the comp sci knowledge I missed out on from the bootcamp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending