The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yara.x
anyone who has done it what are the extracts about

Paper 2 for 2020 if your doing the June paper will be on Touching the void and Climbing the Meiji if I'm right.
Reply 2
Original post by Samreen.cheema05
Paper 2 for 2020 if your doing the June paper will be on Touching the void and Climbing the Meiji if I'm right.

Do you know what was the transactional writing about and if there was a question relating to speech writing?

yea we probably are tysm!
Original post by yara.x
yea we probably are tysm!

no problem. I have responses to q4 and q5 if you need some inspiration tho?
no problem. I have responses to q4 and q5 if you need some inspiration tho?

yes pls! we arent doing q5 but I could use inspo for q4
Original post by yara.x
yes pls! we arent doing q5 but I could use inspo for q4

Q3)Within the harrowing account of Source A the writer depicts his vivid and inexplicable pain as he “hit the slope at the base of the cliff” through the use of powerful imagery. This is emphasised as the “pain flooded down my thigh a fierce burning coming down inside” as we are evidently illustrated the overwhelming physical pain and helplessness of the writer. The use of the adjective “fierce” and “burning fire” gives the reader the impression the pain is viscously gnawing at him and may imply his forthcoming end to this extreme agony. By using the imagery of fire, typically associated with destruction implies here it is no exception and further reinforces this affliction as it burns at his shell within. Alternatively, Simpson juxtaposes this idea of fire by carefully placing the words “fire” and “flooded” as the contrasting symbols of fire and water may imply this extreme pain of burning is only harsher in this icy abyss. Moreover, the imagery of fire and water is caused by nature and may suggest the force of nature is working against him.
Furthermore, Simpson reinforces this sense of torment as he describes the “freezing blasts of snow biting into my face” that somewhat acts as the stinging pain that rationalizes himself, as letting the writer escape from his dazed and confused state of pain for sentient and remarks of his own consciousness. The use of the adjectives “blast” within the personification can be connotated with war and explosions which may show that the writer is in great pain and chaos in his surroundings
Q4)Within Source A the writer generally finds it more difficult to embrace his surroundings on their adventure as a “wave of nausea surged over me” through his sheer agony and distraught. This is suggested through the metaphor as the aggressive verb “surged” is vigorous and may imply he is forced in this position of agony and uncontrollable havoc; oblivious of how to stop the harrowing sensation eating him alive. This idea is also further reinforced through the noun “waves” as it conveys the sense of unawareness and may suggest he is blind in his next course of action like a wave washing back and forth, retreating and pushing forward or perhaps reflecting his lapsing consciousness throughout his torment. Furthermore, the imagery of waves used may connotate the concept of hidden emotions or forthcoming events like a wave within the eternal seas. In Source B however, the writer is rather unrestrained as they are able to soak in the view as they watch the “beautiful red sunlight” and the “clear stars” from the peak. Distinctively she is possessed in a realm of tranquillity. This is clearly conveyed through the noun “stars” that depicts a positive and enchanting aura that emanates the thoughts of magic and wonder in comparison to the bleak and distressing scene of Joe and Simon.
Additionally, the writer in Source A has an overall more negative outlook to adventures in the mountains. He describes a ''flare of agony'' and a ''wave of nausea and pain''. The writer in Source A has had a much more dangerous and agonising experience, so would feel much more negative about his trip to the mountains. This adventure has also caused him great mental distress, so naturally, he will be quite pessimistic about his journey. Contrastingly, in Source B, the writer is far more optimistic about her mountainous adventure. She says she looks back on the trip with ''complete satisfaction” and was in ''high spirits''. This is a far more positive attitude than that of the writer in Source A, which we as a reader admire and respect, as she is able to see the positives in even the most dangerous and daring adventures that didn’t suit her.
Original post by Lutfur12
Do you know what was the transactional writing about and if there was a question relating to speech writing?

not quite sure what you mean with transactional writing?
Q3)Within the harrowing account of Source A the writer depicts his vivid and inexplicable pain as he “hit the slope at the base of the cliff” through the use of powerful imagery. This is emphasised as the “pain flooded down my thigh a fierce burning coming down inside” as we are evidently illustrated the overwhelming physical pain and helplessness of the writer. The use of the adjective “fierce” and “burning fire” gives the reader the impression the pain is viscously gnawing at him and may imply his forthcoming end to this extreme agony. By using the imagery of fire, typically associated with destruction implies here it is no exception and further reinforces this affliction as it burns at his shell within. Alternatively, Simpson juxtaposes this idea of fire by carefully placing the words “fire” and “flooded” as the contrasting symbols of fire and water may imply this extreme pain of burning is only harsher in this icy abyss. Moreover, the imagery of fire and water is caused by nature and may suggest the force of nature is working against him.
Furthermore, Simpson reinforces this sense of torment as he describes the “freezing blasts of snow biting into my face” that somewhat acts as the stinging pain that rationalizes himself, as letting the writer escape from his dazed and confused state of pain for sentient and remarks of his own consciousness. The use of the adjectives “blast” within the personification can be connotated with war and explosions which may show that the writer is in great pain and chaos in his surroundings
Q4)Within Source A the writer generally finds it more difficult to embrace his surroundings on their adventure as a “wave of nausea surged over me” through his sheer agony and distraught. This is suggested through the metaphor as the aggressive verb “surged” is vigorous and may imply he is forced in this position of agony and uncontrollable havoc; oblivious of how to stop the harrowing sensation eating him alive. This idea is also further reinforced through the noun “waves” as it conveys the sense of unawareness and may suggest he is blind in his next course of action like a wave washing back and forth, retreating and pushing forward or perhaps reflecting his lapsing consciousness throughout his torment. Furthermore, the imagery of waves used may connotate the concept of hidden emotions or forthcoming events like a wave within the eternal seas. In Source B however, the writer is rather unrestrained as they are able to soak in the view as they watch the “beautiful red sunlight” and the “clear stars” from the peak. Distinctively she is possessed in a realm of tranquillity. This is clearly conveyed through the noun “stars” that depicts a positive and enchanting aura that emanates the thoughts of magic and wonder in comparison to the bleak and distressing scene of Joe and Simon.
Additionally, the writer in Source A has an overall more negative outlook to adventures in the mountains. He describes a ''flare of agony'' and a ''wave of nausea and pain''. The writer in Source A has had a much more dangerous and agonising experience, so would feel much more negative about his trip to the mountains. This adventure has also caused him great mental distress, so naturally, he will be quite pessimistic about his journey. Contrastingly, in Source B, the writer is far more optimistic about her mountainous adventure. She says she looks back on the trip with ''complete satisfaction” and was in ''high spirits''. This is a far more positive attitude than that of the writer in Source A, which we as a reader admire and respect, as she is able to see the positives in even the most dangerous and daring adventures that didn’t suit her.

you're an angel thank you <3
Original post by yara.x
you're an angel thank you <3

no probs:smile:
not quite sure what you mean with transactional writing?

persuasive writing (question 5)

hi, are these for the eduqas exam board ?
(edited 2 years ago)
hi, is this for OCR GCSE english language?

is this for OCR GCSE ?
Original post by Kate.smith238332
is this for OCR GCSE ?

no i think its aqa
q5 response plsss
Original post by jamieking3567
persuasive writing (question 5)

Oh sorry yeah this was q5
‘People have become obsessed with traveling ever further and faster. However, Traveling is expensive, dangerous, damaging and foolish waste of time!’ Write an article for a news website in which you argue your point of view on this statement.
Original post by olivia.gudgeon
hi, are these for the eduqas exam board ?

aqa im afraid
Original post by mfish894
q5 response plsss

will have one around may 17th if you dont mind waiting as have other exams tommorow
do u have questions 1-4 of the touching the void paper?

Latest

Trending

Trending