The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

experience of being a minority ethnic at the University of Manchester

Hi guys,

Would just like to know your experience if you are an ethnic at Manchester. I'm enrolling next year hopefully and this is something I feel I need to think about. I'd particularly like tk know your experience as an ethnic living in fallowfield halls, esp if you're a British Asian /Muslim!! Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Would just like to know your experience if you are an ethnic at Manchester. I'm enrolling next year hopefully and this is something I feel I need to think about. I'd particularly like tk know your experience as an ethnic living in fallowfield halls, esp if you're a British Asian /Muslim!! Thank you

holy moly I'm in the same boat woah, honestly that I didn't firm Manny is because I've heard some horror stories about roommates and the area however saying that I know it has a great community of people and its about finding your own crowd and ignoring others :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
The only racism I've faced is from students, even ones with BLM sticky notes pasted on their kitchen windows. My flatmates are amazing, although they do occasionally drop a rather borderline racist comment (not malicious, just ignorant). Most people are really nice, but I've had some people mock my accent and stuff - I'm South Asian, not British Asian so obviously have an accent, might be different for you.
Reply 3
Original post by 22lfd
holy moly I'm in the same boat woah, honestly that I didn't firm Manny is because I've heard some horror stories about roommates and the area however saying that I know it has a great community of people and its about finding your own crowd and ignoring others :smile:

Sorry about the late reply! I totally agree with you you'll have to find your own crowd and just ignore the few people who are bad vibez, tell me the horror stories tho!!
Reply 4
I'm not 'worrying about nothing', you clearly have no idea what I'm asking
Reply 5
Original post by brambleboo
The only racism I've faced is from students, even ones with BLM sticky notes pasted on their kitchen windows. My flatmates are amazing, although they do occasionally drop a rather borderline racist comment (not malicious, just ignorant). Most people are really nice, but I've had some people mock my accent and stuff - I'm South Asian, not British Asian so obviously have an accent, might be different for you.

Aww man sorry that you've been treated that way by some, its great to know your overall experience with people has been good :smile:
Reply 6
I'm South Asian, didn't have any bad experiences on campus at least, even though my course was filled with white people (didn't make any friends at all though, lol). Some school kids laughed at me when I was in the outskirts of Manchester (was wearing ethnic clothes) but that's about it. No one batted an eye while I was on campus, and there were a ton of racial minorities living at my accommodation too. There's a lot of diversity for sure but my experience does not speak for everyone, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending