The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

URGENT - How diverse is university of Liecster?

Guys please be honest, I want to apply to Leicester and think it is a great uni however I don't want to go inside and feel left out or the odd one out if everyone is of the same heritage.

Kinda been bugging me down because of my past experiences at high school and don't want to re live the same experience again.

Thank you so much!
Original post by username6325290
Guys please be honest, I want to apply to Leicester and think it is a great uni however I don't want to go inside and feel left out or the odd one out if everyone is of the same heritage.

Kinda been bugging me down because of my past experiences at high school and don't want to re live the same experience again.

Thank you so much!

University of Leicester is diverse, I have a few friends attending it and there is a great mix of all nationalities, ethnicities and ages from school leavers to mature students.

Regardless of what uni you go to, you will need to put yourself out there to make friends especially on freshers week. Remember everyone is in the same boat as you and it may be awkward for everyone.

Hope this helps
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Thank you so much!

Hi @username6325290

My name is Sumayyah and I'm currently a student at the University of Leicester. Diversity was one of the reasons why I chose to study at this university, I found that more than 60% of students at the university are from ethnic minority background. Many of my own friends are from different backgrounds and ethnicities.

As a city, Leicester is very diverse, people are really friendly and respectful of each other, and there are many multicultural restaurants. I would suggest coming to Leicester and seeing what the city is like, I did that before I chose the university and it helped me feel confident and reassured with my choice.

So I would definitely say you don't need to worry about diversity when you come to Leicester. You will find your people and feel accepted and included 🙂

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Student.
Leicester is a hugely diverse city and that is reflected at both unis.

Thank you so much!

Hiya!

I know this post is more directed to University of Leicester, but I just wanted to let you know that Leicester is a beautifully diverse multi-cultural city, and this is represented by both our universities and our students.

If you can I would recommend visiting Leicester like Sumayyah suggested as then you can see for yourself how diverse our city is you could also visit our campuses and meet our staff and students. Incase you are interested De Montfort’s next Open Day is 20th January. If Leicester is too far to visit in person, I would recommend looking at what societies are at the university as majority of ours at DMU are based around culture and ethnicities / religion perhaps you could find a society you would be interested in joining or you can create your own!

Leicester also has many food outlets ranging in cultures and dietary requirements some of my personal recommendations are: Mowgli, PAI, Wagamama and Sonrisa. Here is a link to more restaurants. We also have many international supermarkets, clothing outlets and events that happen in the city.

https://www.visitleicester.info/food-and-drink/restaurants

Hope this helps,
Maddie, second year Health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending