The Student Room Group

binomial distribution question query

I really dont understand why they are working out p (x=12) and p(x>12), but not
p (x<12) they did p (x <11) instead. why?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Looks like a typo as they define and use it as the 12 outcomes 0,1,2, ...,,11 so it should be P(x<12)
Original post by mqb2766
Looks like a typo as they define and use it as the 12 outcomes 0,1,2, ...,,11 so it should be P(x<12)

oh ok thank you. Would you mind helping me with one more question, a different one?
Its the practice question 1 - in the mark scheme they got k as 1/10 whereas I got 1/4. I don't know where I went wrong. I used the cumulative distribution function,
Reply 3
Original post by Lina_Amiour
oh ok thank you. Would you mind helping me with one more question, a different one?
Its the practice question 1 - in the mark scheme they got k as 1/10 whereas I got 1/4. I don't know where I went wrong. I used the cumulative distribution function,

Can you upload what you did.
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload what you did.

i dont have any storage left to upload the picture.:frown: is it ok if you just briefly explain how to do the question?
Reply 5
i dont have any storage left to upload the picture.:frown: is it ok if you just briefly explain how to do the question?

Shouldn't be more than a oouple of lines. Just upload your attempt as text.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Shouldn't be more than a oouple of lines. Just upload your attempt as text.

so i thought that X has to be 4 or less so I did P (X<=4) = 1 getting k as 1/4. so i really don't get how they got 1/10
Reply 7
so i thought that X has to be 4 or less so I did P (X<=4) = 1 getting k as 1/4. so i really don't get how they got 1/10

P(x<=4) is not P(x==4).
Just sum the given probabilities?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
P(x<=4) is not P(x==4).
Just sum the given probabilities?

why sum them?
Reply 9
why sum them?

Because P(X<=4) is the sum of each of the probabilities P(x==1) to P(x==4).
Original post by mqb2766
Because P(X<=4) is the sum of each of the probabilities P(x==1) to P(x==4).

ohhhh i see i get it now. Thank you SO much you have been a GREAT help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest