The Student Room Group

Urgent-stats al maths q!

Ok for June 2018 Edexcel A Level Maths paper 3 stats and mechanics, could someone tell me what to do for Q3b and c. I would really appreciate it!

P.s. also pls if you have time, could you tell me roughly what I should be typing on my calc thank youuu
Reply 1
You should recognise that this is a binomial distribution model with H representing the number of times the dart hits the target in the first 10 throws as given by the question.

H~B(10,0.1)

Therefore, to work out P(H≥4), you need to change the format for it to be compatible with the cumulative distribution.

In your calculator, you should select MENU SETUP --> 7: DISTRIBUTION --> (Scroll down) 1: BINOMIAL CD --> 2: VARIABLE.

For part c, a new model has been set up where F represents the number of the throw on which the dart first hit the target.
P(F=5) means the probability of the dart hitting the target on the 5th throw, so missing on the first 4 goes and hitting it on the 5th.

Hope this helps.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PrathHere
You should recognise that this is a binomial distribution model with H representing the number of times the dart hits the target in the first 10 throws as given by the question.

H~B(10,0.1)

EDIT - you are breaking forum rules by giving a solution
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
EDIT - you are breaking forum rules by giving a solution

Edited.
Reply 4
Original post by PrathHere

H~B(10,0.1)

Therefore, to work out P(H≥4), you need to change the format for it to be compatible with the cumulative distribution.

In your calculator, you should select MENU SETUP --> 7: DISTRIBUTION --> (Scroll down) 1: BINOMIAL CD --> 2: VARIABLE.

For part c, a new model has been set up where F represents the number of the throw on which the dart first hit the target.
P(F=5) means the probability of the dart hitting the target on the 5th throw, so missing on the first 4 goes and hitting it on the 5th.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest