The Student Room Group

Is the maths hard in a level biology?

I am looking at studying A level biology in college but I did foundation maths in GCSE. The entry requirement for the biology A level at my collage is a 6 in maths however I've been told I can do it but I may struggle with the maths content. I've been told that I could do double applied science instead which sounds good but I'm concerned that it may be less valuable to Russel group universities due to the fact that the entry requirements are much lower. I am expecting around a 7-8 in GCSE biology so I know that I'm capable when it comes to biology. I want to know how advanced the mathematical concepts are in A level biology are and weather if it's worth giving the A level a shot or not with my mathematical skill in mind.
Original post by Bungachunga
I am looking at studying A level biology in college but I did foundation maths in GCSE. The entry requirement for the biology A level at my collage is a 6 in maths however I've been told I can do it but I may struggle with the maths content. I've been told that I could do double applied science instead which sounds good but I'm concerned that it may be less valuable to Russel group universities due to the fact that the entry requirements are much lower. I am expecting around a 7-8 in GCSE biology so I know that I'm capable when it comes to biology. I want to know how advanced the mathematical concepts are in A level biology are and weather if it's worth giving the A level a shot or not with my mathematical skill in mind.

The maths in Biology isn't too hard, mostly simple things like graphs and a few new things; but they're more statistical scienc-y maths than anything else. If you meet the entry requirements and want to get in, then go for it! I got an 8 in biology GCSE and find it super fun at A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by hill.lily
The maths in Biology isn't too hard, mostly simple things like graphs and a few new things; but they're more statistical scienc-y maths than anything else. If you meet the entry requirements and want to get in, then go for it! I got an 8 in biology GCSE and find it super fun at A Level.

As a foundation maths student would it be a steap learning curve?
As a foundation maths student would it be a steap learning curve?

You might find it a little hard, but if you end up getting a 6 you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Reply 4

I'm so bad at maths but found the maths in biology fine! all the new maths skills you need, you will be taught.
Hi, honestly I feel like biology is not very much math-zy. You get your occasional questions like how much enzyme is denatured within x minutes, etc. And that's it. A biology paper has less than 10% of math questions. However, this is my experience as always it may be different boards/papers.
Reply 6
Original post by _hifza
I'm so bad at maths but found the maths in biology fine! all the new maths skills you need, you will be taught.

What areas of maths are found most commonly in biology?
Reply 7
What areas of maths are found most commonly in biology?

data handling like reading off graphs and using figures from a table. conversions from one unit to a different unit. working out the rate from gradients
There isn't that much maths tbh and most of it is ok e.g. finding percentage increase/decrease, interpreting graphs, calculating rates (sometimes from graphs). The hardest part would be the statistical analysis tests but as long as you learn what all the equations mean (you get them given in the test) and make sure to understand when each stat test is used you should be fine in the end.
Reply 9
I personally haven't struggled with the math in biology A level (just a disclaimer, I've never struggled with math and am taking maths as an A level). It will probably take some work to be comfortable with the maths but I think it's definitely doable and definitely worth doing biology A level if you're into biology. It is more statistics (as opposed to algebra) and there are lots of resources available to help you (youtube videos, etc.). There is even a pdf from Edexcel called maths for biology I think (this is for international Edexcel a level). Hope this helps!

you should be fine, but google the maths involved and practice it. If you hate it, consider bio a level again. Maths is only 10 or 20% of your grade, but that can make the difference between a C or an A!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending