The Student Room Group

My alevel options

I picked A-level biology, chemistry, physics, AS maths or EPQ.
At first I didn't know whether to pick maths or phys but turns out my teacher suggested this was a course i could take.
My grades are 9 in bio, 8 in chem (3 marks away from a 9), and 9 in physics.

Is this a good choice to make, is it managable and what should I expect from taking these courses? Will it be too difficult to obtain higher grades if i take these courses combined?

Thank you for answering my questions
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
I think 4 a levels and an EPQ is going to be very difficult and means balancing your time effectively. The good thing is you can always drop an A level or EPQ if its to much. Best to speak to your teacher. What are you wanting to go into?
yes, I would suggest either AS maths or EPQ but not both
Original post by rysua
I picked A-level biology, chemistry, physics, AS maths and an EPQ.
At first I didn't know whether to pick maths or phys but turns out my teacher suggested this was a course i could take.
My grades are 9 in bio, 8 in chem (3 marks away from a 9), and 9 in physics.

Is this a good choice to make, is it managable and what should I expect from taking these courses? Will it be too difficult to obtain higher grades if i take these courses combined?

Thank you for answering my questions

I did 3 a levels (bio, psych, History) and an EPQ. History had coursework which meant it was hard to do with the EPQ. If I was doing a fourth subject like English lit (which I was planning on doing) it wouldn’t have been possible. A levels are harder than GCSEs, please don’t understate this. Doing 4 and an EPQ will be very difficult- my school didn’t allow it.

I dropped my AS level in German to do an EPQ because doing both would be too much.

Also (from experience) Biology is hard!
Reply 4
Original post by Zoe101!
I think 4 a levels and an EPQ is going to be very difficult and means balancing your time effectively. The good thing is you can always drop an A level or EPQ if its to much. Best to speak to your teacher. What are you wanting to go into?

the maths is an as because ik how difficult itd be. I might just drop the epq or maths depending on how hard it is. atp idk what i want to take in the future, but i want it to be related to science, so im taking these courses as it opens my options i guess
Reply 5
Original post by Lightningparrot
I did 3 a levels (bio, psych, History) and an EPQ. History had coursework which meant it was hard to do with the EPQ. If I was doing a fourth subject like English lit (which I was planning on doing) it wouldn’t have been possible. A levels are harder than GCSEs, please don’t understate this. Doing 4 and an EPQ will be very difficult- my school didn’t allow it.

I dropped my AS level in German to do an EPQ because doing both would be too much.

Also (from experience) Biology is hard!

thank you for your advice, i think its given me valuable insight on how difficult alevels are comparing to gcse, which i didnt think about before. I still have time to think about what I want to do, but personally, now I won't consider taking the epq and as maths. Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest