The Student Room Group

should i do gcse further maths??

i'm in yr11 and i was privileged enough to get chosen to do further maths, as the teachers think i am capable to get 8/9 in higher maths.
i was told about this today, and so i want to ask if i should do it? will i benefit from this?
thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by harlz_chalamet
i'm in yr11 and i was privileged enough to get chosen to do further maths, as the teachers think i am capable to get 8/9 in higher maths.
i was told about this today, and so i want to ask if i should do it? will i benefit from this?

I'm also in Year 11 and I got chosen to do further maths ( the free-standing additional maths by OCR) too last year, and I'd say go for it, it'll prepare you for A-level contents, we've already begun covering some A-level content in Further maths classes and it'll give you a headstart in sixth form should you choose A-level maths
Original post by radbhak
I'm also in Year 11 and I got chosen to do further maths ( the free-standing additional maths by OCR) too last year, and I'd say go for it, it'll prepare you for A-level contents, we've already begun covering some A-level content in Further maths classes and it'll give you a headstart in sixth form should you choose A-level maths

be honest, would you say that the content is quite hard for further maths?
if you get what i mean, there's not really any point in me struggling in FM and then getting behind in higher maths?

Hey, first of all well done on being selected for FM. My school didn't offer it at GCSE so I taught it myself and got a grade 9 so it's definitely possible to do alongside normal maths and helps you to bridge the gap between GCSE and A-Level if you are planning to study a-level maths (or a-level further maths). If your school offers it, I would definitely recommend taking it and if you find it too much I'm sure you could just ask to sit normal maths :smile:
Reply 4
be honest, would you say that the content is quite hard for further maths?
if you get what i mean, there's not really any point in me struggling in FM and then getting behind in higher maths?

Personally it's not quite hard, but try it out and if you think it's too hard then you can ask to drop out and not take the exam.
As someone who took it last year and regrets it, I may be biased. Personally I found that being taught it online made it incredibly difficult to get a grasp of the concepts and maybe had it been in person I would have enjoyed it better.

This goes without saying but it's something you are going to have to dedicate a LOT of study to in order to get a good grade. You can honestly get a 6 with good maths understanding (e.g if you're estimated 8/9 in normal maths) so if the grade you get doesn't bother you and you just want to add another GCSE to the list I say go for it as it is an easy GCSE to pass in my opinion (you only need 20% to pass).

HOWEVER, if you intend to do well e.g 8/9 you need to know the syllabus inside out and dedicate a LOT of time and energy to it. It's extremely hard, the concepts are A-Level ones and it's certainly the GCSE that stressed me out the most. Also bear in mind it will take away from time you could have spent revising other subjects. If you intend to do anything science related in the future I say do it, but expect a long ride. If you're someone like me who's meticulous about how their report card looks at the end and want a full set of 9s/8s be aware that it may not necessarily be in your best interest. I personally wish I hadn't sat it. It was my only Grade 7 ( I got 8x9s, 4x8s and that 7) and every time I look at it I simply wish I hadn't taken in. Final note, the percentage difference between the top grades is insane. Someone can get 50% and another 80% and you'll come out with only one grade difference (a 7 and 8 roughly). A 9 is very hard to obtain (not impossible but certainly hard). Of course, you can always do the lessons and after mocks drop it if you decide you don't like it, quite a few people did this and I think its a good way to not close off the opportunity but also allow yourself to set priorities. Hope all this gives you a realistic idea and that I managed help in some way.
(edited 2 years ago)

No you won't. I teach Maths and I don't think this is a good qualification. You are better focusing on getting a clutch of top grades across the board and a certain 9 in Maths. There are topics that are not even in A level Maths ...
Original post by radbhak

It won't - it's better to really cover the GCSE content fully ... no need for an additional exam. What about the topics that aren;t even in A level ...
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
It won't - it's better to really cover the GCSE content fully ... no need for an additional exam. What about the topics that aren;t even in A level ...

:0 I was just following the advice of teachers and family members since a few years ago my uncle did it himself and he said it was useful and I saw the spec and it seems like they are in A level but yeah
Original post by radbhak
:0 I was just following the advice of teachers and family members since a few years ago my uncle did it himself and he said it was useful and I saw the spec and it seems like they are in A level but yeah

It isn't if the full GCSE is taught [and many schools leave out bits] then its unnecessary - believe me we'd teach it if we thought it was wise.
I’m guessing you mean ad maths, which will prepare you for a level , basically all the content you do in yr 12 maths is ad maths work anyway, so you will have more time to prepare for year 13 content whilst revising during year 12
Hope that helped!
Hayden
Original post by Muttley79
It isn't if the full GCSE is taught [and many schools leave out bits] then its unnecessary - believe me we'd teach it if we thought it was wise.

Oh isn't additional maths A-level stuff? I thought they taught you Year 12 stuff so you have a headstart if you choose it for A-level.
Original post by radbhak
Oh isn't additional maths A-level stuff? I thought they taught you Year 12 stuff so you have a headstart if you choose it for A-level.

Nope - it has stuff not even in A level ...

Quick Reply

Latest