The Student Room Group

A Level subject choices

I am sitting my GCSEs in the summer of 2024 and am currently looking to indicate my preference for A level subjects.

I am planning to choose 4 A-Level subjects and am looking to choose Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography.

I quite like Maths and am quite good at it mostly scoring 8s. I have Geography as a GCSE subject and quite like that too and score well at it. Economics is new to me, but i have spoken to many students who are studying it and what they have explained to me about the subject interests me quite a bit.

Given the above is my proposed combination a good one?
Reply 1
Original post by joshuajacob
I am sitting my GCSEs in the summer of 2024 and am currently looking to indicate my preference for A level subjects.

I am planning to choose 4 A-Level subjects and am looking to choose Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography.

I quite like Maths and am quite good at it mostly scoring 8s. I have Geography as a GCSE subject and quite like that too and score well at it. Economics is new to me, but i have spoken to many students who are studying it and what they have explained to me about the subject interests me quite a bit.

Given the above is my proposed combination a good one?

Some universities don't like economics and maths, also further maths together. They're too similar. What degree/job would you like in the future?
Reply 2
Depends on what you want to study in the future, for a maths or economics degree your choices should be perfect and if you choose something geography related you shouldn't face issue with your current choices. Just be careful if you want to drop a subject it should only be further maths because yes maths and further maths are grouped together by some universities.
What aspects of Geography GCSE do you enjoy? I found GCSE Geography very good and got an 8, so I took it for A Levels. I’m in Year 13 and have found the A Level Geography course to be very different to what I expected, and extremely complex. It also depends on what you want to do, as Geography may render useless. If you are looking to go into Economics it would be helpful, but other than that and Geography as a degree, I find it to be very unhelpful. Personally I’ve applied for medicine so Geography has done me more harm than good😂
Original post by lockets
Some universities don't like economics and maths, also further maths together. They're too similar. What degree/job would you like in the future?

Which ones? I don't know of any.
Original post by ageshallnot

Which ones? I don't know of any.

Agreed, all the major universities offering BSc Economics say Economics and Further Maths together are desirable, and Warwick, for example, requires Maths. So it seems that 3 subject combo is good for most related degrees.
Original post by erin282888441
Agreed, all the major universities offering BSc Economics say Economics and Further Maths together are desirable, and Warwick, for example, requires Maths. So it seems that 3 subject combo is good for most related degrees.

Yep. LSE prefer a third subject to be essay based if an applicant is taking maths and FM, but that includes economics.

Quick Reply

Latest