The Student Room Group

Frizzy hair - hair products, olaplex etc :)

Hi!
So when I was young I used to have glossy, silky straight hair and then one day I think about year 7 my hair just started to change and to this day I don't even know what caused it. My hair is now frizzy, dry and I suffer from lots of hair shedding. However it its curly when I leave the shower but when it starts to frizz it loses the definitions of of curls which is a shame cos they look quite pretty until my hair starts to dry. 😭I'm in year 12 and my hair has definitely been better since using maui hair products but tbh throughout secondary school I tried a lot of reasonably priced products to help me hair and tbh nothing really helped. I started researching frantically hair products which is very stressful and like no sulfates etc but legit all good hair products cost so much and you can only buy online which my mum would never let me do! So yh atm I use maui products which have definitely helped but my hair still gets quite frizzy like it just dries crazy. Before covid I did go through a phase of straightening my hair but gave up over lockdown and when I went into year 11. However I have just started college and I suffer from low self esteem because of my hair it never looks good even when I know straighten it as it immediately goes frizzy again. Baso I hate my hair and I get jealous of other people's especially when my friends moan about their hair when theirs is so nice. Anyways are there any reasonably good products out there I've been eyeing up olaplex for a while but my mum isn't too keen on me using it and it's so expensive!!!. My hair is quite long so I'd get through their tiny bottles in legit one wash and tbh I'm quite lazy. Ugh I just don't know what to do probs gonna have frizzy hair forever now. If anyone does have any tips just on how to fix my crazy hair then that would be great 😂I have been thinking of starting to take some multivitamins as maybe that will help. Thank you in advance for the advice x over school holidays I was thinking of trying paul mitchell kera-triplex products from a hair salon to try and repair my hair. It was better value than olaplex. There is an option of keratin straightening but so expensive and ruins ur hair in the long run and as I said before I want just no fuss curly hair that requires no effort aha 🤣
(edited 2 years ago)
I have frizzy curls also. For me I shampoo it then I use a little conditioner on the ends of my hair then do a hair mask every week or I do a smoothy frizz control I comb my hair (a brush makes it frizzier )then I wrap\roll or braid my hair then wrap a scarf around that when I go to bed in then I finger comb it a little to the way I like it. I had straight hair when i was little also I'm a swimmer so i give my hair extra love
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by angelove1704
I have frizzy curls also. For me I shampoo it then I use a little conditioner on the ends of my hair then do a hair mask every week or I do a smoothy frizz control I comb my hair (a brush makes it frizzier )then I wrap\roll or braid my hair then wrap a scarf around that when I go to bed in then I finger comb it a little to the way I like it. I had straight hair when i was little also I'm a swimmer so i give my hair extra love

what hair products do you use? :smile:
I’m not home at the moment I’ll tell you later . They were both cheap
Reply 4
I’m not home at the moment I’ll tell you later . They were both cheap

ok thank you so much :smile: really appreciate it
Just straighten it
Try using hair oils. I put coconut oil in my hair and then wash it off an hour later. Try different oils to see which one works best for your hair.:smile:
I'm in a similar boat with curly hair thats got so dry and damaged it just frizzes now. The best products I've used are Olaplex No3, No6 and No7. They're expensive but work great for me. Also depends on your hair type- like mine is wavy/curly but is also light and fine so a lot of the products marketed towards curly hair are way too heavy for me and end up leaving my hair feeling icky. I've heard good things about Shea Moisture for curly hair but I found it too heavy (smells incredible though, was gutted it just wasn't for me)

I was struggling loads with breakage and bad hair but I've started using those 3 olapex products plus the hairburst shampoo and conditioner and people have started commenting that my hair looks nicer. They're expensive, there's definitely cheaper options out there but they're just what's worked for me.

One final thing to maybe consider is your diet. A nutrient deficiency can show itself in your hair, skin and nails. I found out I'm vitamin B anaemic when I asked my doctor about my hair which can cause hair to start thinning apparently
Reply 8
Original post by micholate9
Try using hair oils. I put coconut oil in my hair and then wash it off an hour later. Try different oils to see which one works best for your hair.:smile:

I have recently bought some coconut oil so going to try it out
Reply 9
Original post by PollyParrot23
I'm in a similar boat with curly hair thats got so dry and damaged it just frizzes now. The best products I've used are Olaplex No3, No6 and No7. They're expensive but work great for me. Also depends on your hair type- like mine is wavy/curly but is also light and fine so a lot of the products marketed towards curly hair are way too heavy for me and end up leaving my hair feeling icky. I've heard good things about Shea Moisture for curly hair but I found it too heavy (smells incredible though, was gutted it just wasn't for me)

I was struggling loads with breakage and bad hair but I've started using those 3 olapex products plus the hairburst shampoo and conditioner and people have started commenting that my hair looks nicer. They're expensive, there's definitely cheaper options out there but they're just what's worked for me.

One final thing to maybe consider is your diet. A nutrient deficiency can show itself in your hair, skin and nails. I found out I'm vitamin B anaemic when I asked my doctor about my hair which can cause hair to start thinning apparently

Yes I think I'm going to buy some olaplex and I've heard some great things about hairburst as well so going to try it out. Not sure if you're from the UK but in tesco they sell this haircare range called rhyme and reason which sounds really good. Might try herbal essences as well and also cantu as its much cheaper in tesco than other stores. Thank you so much x
Okay so what I use is raw sugar healing power it’s isn’t the best smell but it helps the frizz( leave in for 15 then wash out . Do it after shampooing. Then I use Shea moisturize it’s curl enhancing smoothie. Don’t use a lot just wet hair then put it in .. I do the raw sugar once a week and the moisture on days my hair feels dry.. if you use to much or fo it to often your hair will look and feel Greasy
Reply 11
Okay so what I use is raw sugar healing power it’s isn’t the best smell but it helps the frizz( leave in for 15 then wash out . Do it after shampooing. Then I use Shea moisturize it’s curl enhancing smoothie. Don’t use a lot just wet hair then put it in .. I do the raw sugar once a week and the moisture on days my hair feels dry.. if you use to much or fo it to often your hair will look and feel Greasy

ooo ok thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely check it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest