The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2021/22

It's that time of year again - the next cycle of vacation scheme applications has begun!

A guide to the common abbreviations which may be used in this thread:
PFO - a rejection (literally meaning 'please f**** off')
VS - vacation scheme
TC - training contract
AC - assessment centre
VI - video/voice interview (depending on the firm)
WG - the Watson Glazer test
SJT - situational judgement test
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Where is the best place to search for near by vacation schemes? Ideally I do not want London, all the main websites just seem to show majority of London firms. Thanks
Original post by CharleneH87
Where is the best place to search for near by vacation schemes? Ideally I do not want London, all the main websites just seem to show majority of London firms. Thanks

I'd suggest searching for the firms with regional offices (e.g. Eversheds Sutherland, DWF, DLA Piper, Squire Patton Boggs, etc.)

If you have a specific city you'd like to do your vac scheme in, you could always just look for law firms on a map (e.g. Google Maps) and go from there :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you so much for your reply. I have looked for firms in my town but there are not many, just wondered if there was an easier way than searching all surrounding towns but I guess I should know better than to think anything about Law is simple :biggrin:
I’ve never heard of Squire Patten Boggs. Are they a regional firm?
Original post by NQ Lawyer
I’ve never heard of Squire Patten Boggs. Are they a regional firm?

An international firm with multiple offices in the UK: https://www.squirepattonboggs.com/en
If i wait till november to apply to vac schemes which are rolling basis and opened on the 1st of september, will i be at a disadvantage? Also has anyone received any offers yet (inc assessment centre/interviews) for bclp, baker mckenzie, linklaters or any city/us firm? Thanks xxx
Original post by Fatima1125
If i wait till november to apply to vac schemes which are rolling basis and opened on the 1st of september, will i be at a disadvantage? Also has anyone received any offers yet (inc assessment centre/interviews) for bclp, baker mckenzie, linklaters or any city/us firm? Thanks xxx

Unfortunately I would say that you would be. With ones that assess on a rolling basis you really do need to get in as quickly as you can.
Original post by CatusStarbright
An international firm with multiple offices in the UK: https://www.squirepattonboggs.com/en

I worked at Squire Patton Boggs for 4 years so I’m well aware of who they are. I just hadn’t heard of Squire Patten Boggs before.
Original post by NQ Lawyer
I worked at Squire Patton Boggs for 4 years so I’m well aware of who they are. I just hadn’t heard of Squire Patten Boggs before.

Ah you're sarcastically pointing out a typo; got it.
Original post by karl.hennings
It took me about a week to get a vacation from the firm where I used to work. I had to collect all the documents. I had to wait for my turn and then wait for the decision of my superiors. After all that time, I didn't even want to go on vacation. Everything was too complicated and too long. Now I work for another company remotely. Since there was a quarantine in my city. My employer offers to issue a time off request form. It is convenient and does not take much time. You can mail it to your employer right away.

Unfortunately we are not actually discussing holidays here - a vacation scheme is a kind of legal internship!
(edited 2 years ago)
How's everyone finding the Baker McKenzie and bclp applications? Have there been any successful ones yet?
I’ve just been invited to an assessment centre for Allen & Overy’s summer vac scheme but it seems really early? Did anyone else get this?
Original post by Fatima1125

Don't listen to what I can only assume is non HR professionals in this chat, go for it and good luck!
Hey Guys,

I'm starting to prepare for my applications, going for DLA Piper, Browne Jacobson, and Eversheds Sutherland.

I am organised from the experiences I gained last cycle and I have continued to grow my commercial awareness and application reviews using Get In Law (@getinlaw on Instagram), I used them towards the end of the last cycle which really helped so I'm using them now from the start. I also think Lex100 and LegalCheek are useful too. Anyone else want to share alternative platforms?

Thanks and good luck to all!
Original post by ManchesterApp
Hey Guys,

I'm starting to prepare for my applications, going for DLA Piper, Browne Jacobson, and Eversheds Sutherland.

I am organised from the experiences I gained last cycle and I have continued to grow my commercial awareness and application reviews using Get In Law (@getinlaw on Instagram), I used them towards the end of the last cycle which really helped so I'm using them now from the start. I also think Lex100 and LegalCheek are useful too. Anyone else want to share alternative platforms?

Thanks and good luck to all!

The Lawyer Portal is also very good - it even has a commercial awareness newsletter you can sign up to.
Hey,

has anyone heard back from their virtual interview with Gowling WLG? I fear mine may have went badly on one of the questions, really panicking :s or if so, does anyone know when responses are coming out?
Are people planning on doing multiple schemes over the summer? I’ve heard back (positively!) from the firm I am most passionate about and am not sure whether to just stick with that one and focus on academics
Original post by ditemeja
Are people planning on doing multiple schemes over the summer? I’ve heard back (positively!) from the firm I am most passionate about and am not sure whether to just stick with that one and focus on academics

I'd recommend trying to get another one, if possible, to improve your chances of getting a TC offer.
Has anyone applied to Gateley heard back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending