The Student Room Group

I feel like I don't really have any ideas for English Lit

I'm in Y10 and I'm falling in love with English Lit but I really struggle with class discussions. It seems like everyone else has something to say but I genuinely have nothing to say and I have no ideas. Well, sometimes I do have ideas, but they come up super randomly and never at the right time...
Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so so much
I know what you feel. I'm fascinated in english lit before studying it, then like it in year 10 and 11, now in year 12, I'm loving it; if not for my subject choices too demanding I would have picked eng lit too.
Your question: it's okay, class discussions aren't... how do I say? Just listen and jot down other's ideas if you don't have your own. You're just starting out, after a year or even shorter than that ideas will come out easier and faster.
I struggle with class discussions too, mostly because of the combined effect of hearing impairment (mild hearing loss so no need for hearing aid), people talking so fast and English not my first language. But if you can ask someone to lend you notes and jot down ideas afterwards, it doesn't really matter if you're quiet. I'm so wallflower in my classes too (english AND drama!) but that doesn't mean you can't get a good grade or enjoy the process of learning.
Most of all, enjoy English Lit! I'm so glad you love it: it makes everything so much easier if you are genuinely interested in the classes, compared to other people who see it as uselessly difficult. I see literature as a wonderful thing that connects us to the past, and even in present days, the past people's struggles, thoughts and feelings, are still strangely, hauntingly relevant, and that's the thing that fascinates me the most.
May I ask what you're studying now? I did Inspector Calls, Macbeth and eduquas poetry
Reply 3
Original post by Bookworm524
Most of all, enjoy English Lit! I'm so glad you love it: it makes everything so much easier if you are genuinely interested in the classes, compared to other people who see it as uselessly difficult. I see literature as a wonderful thing that connects us to the past, and even in present days, the past people's struggles, thoughts and feelings, are still strangely, hauntingly relevant, and that's the thing that fascinates me the most.
May I ask what you're studying now? I did Inspector Calls, Macbeth and eduquas poetry

thank you so much! argh idk it's really frustrating because i really do wanna contribute :frown:
That is a really beautiful description of literature and I 100% agree. I just feel such a strong connection to it that I've never felt before and I just want to learn more and more
And I'm doing Inspector Calls right now
I guess if you like reading, or if not, go and start reading whatever you like. If these are stories, sometimes stop and think about the subtext, what skills is the writer using here? What may be special with this particular choice of words? And after some time ideas should start to flow as you're more familiar with analysing and noticing devices.

You're welcome! It's just really great knowing someone else likes lit too!
(btw have you got a goodreads account??:biggrin:
Reply 5
I guess if you like reading, or if not, go and start reading whatever you like. If these are stories, sometimes stop and think about the subtext, what skills is the writer using here? What may be special with this particular choice of words? And after some time ideas should start to flow as you're more familiar with analysing and noticing devices.

You're welcome! It's just really great knowing someone else likes lit too!
(btw have you got a goodreads account??:biggrin:

yeah i love reading haha
and thank you! i will definitely try that!

and yeah haha none of my friends like lit too unfortunately. and no, sorry i dont use goodreads :/
:u: Any favourite books or series or genres?

I like Harry Potter, absolutely love How To Train Your Dragon, and I'd say The Book Thief and The Giver changed the way I see the world. Now reading The Knife of Never Letting Go and I don't think I'll get over it :bawling:
Reply 7
:u: Any favourite books or series or genres?

I like Harry Potter, absolutely love How To Train Your Dragon, and I'd say The Book Thief and The Giver changed the way I see the world. Now reading The Knife of Never Letting Go and I don't think I'll get over it :bawling:

Haha I had a Harry Potter phase but not really into Harry potter anymore unfortunately
I love Good Omens. That book got me back into reading after a bad period of mental health where I literally couldn't read.
Lord Of The Rings is good too, Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
Not sure if you would count this as a book but the comic Watchmen blew my mind lol
Reply 8
Look at mr Bruff on You Tube.
Original post by rainjx
Haha I had a Harry Potter phase but not really into Harry potter anymore unfortunately
I love Good Omens. That book got me back into reading after a bad period of mental health where I literally couldn't read.
Lord Of The Rings is good too, Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
Not sure if you would count this as a book but the comic Watchmen blew my mind lol

Ooo, want to read Good Omens someday. Terry Pratchett fan? I've read Dodger and Amazing Maurice, but his style takes a bit getting used to, and I might try Nation too. And of course Lord of the Rings! I'd like to read it when I'm grown up and free from all the studying.

Quick Reply

Latest