The Student Room Group

biomedical science or English lit at uni?

I'm a year 12 student studying Biology, chemistry, English lit and core maths. I was initially thinking about studying biomedical science but I'm having some doubt about this choice, as I don't know if I'm truly passionate about it.

I always used to be a reader and assumed that I would go into English, but at GCSE I started improving in science and started enjoying Biology more than I did before. Now at A-level I am doing well in my subjects (Bio A*, English A, Chem A, Core Maths A), but I'm still really unsure where to go next.

I think I would enjoy a biomedical degree (I've looked at lots of courses and they seem interesting) but I don't think I want to work in a lab post-degree, and for English lit I would also enjoy the degree but I have no idea what I would do after as I'm not into creative writing, more the analytical side of English. For science maybe I could be a science writer? I'm just really unsure of what to do and I'm second guessing every choice. Any advice/input would be really appreciated!
Reply 1
Look at degrees like Neuroscience, Psychology, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, or Natural Sciences (multi-disciplinary science program) - or from another angle, what sort of professional roles in the NHS might interest you https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/explore-roles

Go to some Uni Open Days in May/June and sign up for a wide range of subject talks - what are these subjects about at degree level, and what jobs have previous graduates gone on to do?

Or for the Humanities . Social Sciences route - do any of these degrees sound interesting : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Many subjects do not require specific A level subjects, just grades, others may just want an 'essay based subject' etc.
Again, Open Day talks will open up more of what these degree subjects are all about and what you can do with them.
Maybe you should research more about these two courses and create a table of pros and cons! At the end of the day, choose a subject you know you can excel at with the skills you possess at the moment OR a subject you don't necessarily have all the skills for but you're willing to put in that little extra effort to achieve them! If all else fails, follow your intuition, ask yourself which course makes you feel more excited when you think/talk about it? It's probably that one that you should consider doing.

Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Look at degrees like Neuroscience, Psychology, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, or Natural Sciences (multi-disciplinary science program) - or from another angle, what sort of professional roles in the NHS might interest you https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/explore-roles

Go to some Uni Open Days in May/June and sign up for a wide range of subject talks - what are these subjects about at degree level, and what jobs have previous graduates gone on to do?

Or for the Humanities . Social Sciences route - do any of these degrees sound interesting : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Many subjects do not require specific A level subjects, just grades, others may just want an 'essay based subject' etc.
Again, Open Day talks will open up more of what these degree subjects are all about and what you can do with them.

thank you for this advice, the links are very helpful! I think it’s just the feeling of needing to make a decision soon that is worrying me.
Reply 4
Original post by itz_lilly
Maybe you should research more about these two courses and create a table of pros and cons! At the end of the day, choose a subject you know you can excel at with the skills you possess at the moment OR a subject you don't necessarily have all the skills for but you're willing to put in that little extra effort to achieve them! If all else fails, follow your intuition, ask yourself which course makes you feel more excited when you think/talk about it? It's probably that one that you should consider doing.

Good luck!!

Thank you, the pros and cons list is a very good idea! I think I just cycle between the 2, and when I think I’ve made my mind up I still have that little thing in my mind saying “what about the other course”. I wish I could find some sort of joint honours course to do, but I doubt one exists and I would just be doing it to put off making a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest