The Student Room Group

A-level options

I'm currently in year 11 studying sociology, media studies, history and french alongside maths, english and science and my grades range from 6s in maths and science to 9s in history. I need to submit my college application by the end of the year but I'm still torn between whether I take politics or english lit - I definitely want to do history & film studies.
I was just wondering whether anyone had any like personal experience and could give me any like info??
Original post by interl1nked
I'm currently in year 11 studying sociology, media studies, history and french alongside maths, english and science and my grades range from 6s in maths and science to 9s in history. I need to submit my college application by the end of the year but I'm still torn between whether I take politics or english lit - I definitely want to do history & film studies.
I was just wondering whether anyone had any like personal experience and could give me any like info??

Do you know what you want to do after college?
Reply 2
hey!
I do both politics and english lit at a level (i'm in year 13) - here's how i'm finding it:

Politics

there are a lot of topics - it feels as if the exam board crammed everything into a 2 year course (although that's what most a levels are like, i guess)

sometimes i can be quite disengaging - it's nothing like degree level --> eg. we learn about voting systems (FPTP, PR, etc), but we don't really apply it to everyday life

what i mean, is that we learn about the advantages + disadvantages of First Past The Post (our voting system in the UK), and then that's it. we don't really go any further

i LOVE political philosophy - it's the best part of the specification

you will become a better writer with politics, since the marking it nothing like GCSEs - if you are not critical in every paragraph, you won't get more than 10/30 marks maybe

history + politics really complement each other

English lit

i know i said that politics feels crammed, but english lit is just packed with lots + lots of stuff

we do so much poetry, a play, a shakespeare play, comparison of two novels, and coursework

you have to be good at writing, and enjoy it

if you like english simply at a GCSE level, don't do it for a level.

what i mean, is that if you're content with just sticking 'context' at the end of a paragraph, writing very basic introductions, etc., then english lit a level will prove quite difficult

right now, you should be going beyond PEE paragraphs + basic context

because english is so crammed, you will find something you like in every topic, which i enjoy

english a level is not about memory, since all my exams (i do edexcel) are open book - it's more about how you apply your ideas

this is just my own personal experience with both these subjects, not really a factual overview of everything we do. if you want that, just let me know and i'll be more than happy to share!

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Do you know what you want to do after college?

I'd love to get into journalism !!

Quick Reply

Latest