The Student Room Group

A levels and careers

I’m interested in various A Levels and careers. How do I go about narrowing down my A levels if I just enjoy learning no matter the subject and am good at everything?

I’m interested in Law, Econ and Comp Sci. What’s the best combo to keep all these options open?

A levels that interest me are English Lit, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Economics, French. And I’m willing to do 4 a levels.
Reply 1
Unless you want to study something super specific, it doesn't matter too much I.e wanting to study bio chem or medicine would mean having to do the required A levels, but if you want to do law for example, have at least 1 humanity, but it doesn't really matter. If you wanna do comp sci, have something related to that, and check some uni course requirements for the courses you're interested in. I did French, Psychology and English and ended up doing Asian studies. As long as you have some way to explain how your courses relate to your degree choice it's generally a non-issue.
Reply 2
Original post by bulbethaur
Unless you want to study something super specific, it doesn't matter too much I.e wanting to study bio chem or medicine would mean having to do the required A levels, but if you want to do law for example, have at least 1 humanity, but it doesn't really matter. If you wanna do comp sci, have something related to that, and check some uni course requirements for the courses you're interested in. I did French, Psychology and English and ended up doing Asian studies. As long as you have some way to explain how your courses relate to your degree choice it's generally a non-issue.

Thank you so much
Reply 3
Original post by lili__1
I’m interested in various A Levels and careers. How do I go about narrowing down my A levels if I just enjoy learning no matter the subject and am good at everything?
I’m interested in Law, Econ and Comp Sci. What’s the best combo to keep all these options open?
A levels that interest me are English Lit, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Economics, French. And I’m willing to do 4 a levels.

This super depends on whether you're applying to uni and if so, where you'd be applying to. I would say keep English Lit and Maths, Comp Sci courses like people having maths typically, and this is probably the same for economics. If you have an interest in law, some universities require an essay-based subject, like English Lit or History. Further maths probably wouldn't hurt either for computer science and wouldn't harm you for law, as long as you were sure you could do well in it. I'm a big promoter of foreign language study, so I'd probably suggest that as well.

You probably wouldn't have much trouble keeping it open, but if law remains an interest, it's a really good idea to have an essay subject at least, and doing maths is just a good idea. That being said, I do know people studying a law degree at really good unis who haven't got essay subjects, and the same can be said of someone studying economics without maths.

If you're willing to do four, I'd say English Lit, Maths, French and Further maths (or just any subject really of your choosing, the fourth is a bit of an open slot - I took four, too). This is just my advice from experience, there are always other factors that make your chances better and worse than simply the subjects you study.
Law - any 3 A levels, no specific subjects needed.
Econ - Maths. You don't even need Economics.
CS - Maths. You don't even need Comp Sci.

Good careers site with hundreds of jobs and career roles etc - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
Original post by lili__1

If you want to do Econ or Compsci at Imperial, Warwick, they recommend you to pick futher maths. So if you are willing to do 4 alevels, you could pick maths, furthermaths, essay based subject for law and another subject that you LOVE.
Reply 6
I believe maths is a requirement for Comp Sci and Econ, so that would definitely be a good pick, but I am unsure for law so I'm not going to give advice on that
Original post by aspir0r
I believe maths is a requirement for Comp Sci and Econ, so that would definitely be a good pick, but I am unsure for law so I'm not going to give advice on that

There are no required subjects for Law.
An essay based subject like Eng Lit, History, Politics etc is useful for skills but is not essential.

Quick Reply

Latest