The Student Room Group

Mock Grades

Hi all, im just not sure what to think really... we just got our mocks back and i dont feel i did that great i only got one 8 in math and 5 grade 7s the remaining 5 subjects i got 2 6s and 3 5s lol. What first steps should i take to ensure i can aim for the 8/9s. Im thinking of starting to properly revise from now till june. Any other suggestions?

thanks!!
Original post by hazza34532
Hi all, im just not sure what to think really... we just got our mocks back and i dont feel i did that great i only got one 8 in math and 5 grade 7s the remaining 5 subjects i got 2 6s and 3 5s lol. What first steps should i take to ensure i can aim for the 8/9s. Im thinking of starting to properly revise from now till june. Any other suggestions?

thanks!!

Which subjects were which grades?
In general:
1. make sure you understand the content as you are learning and revising. If you are reading over some notes or the textbook, write down any questions you have on a post-it note and go and ask the teacher, or email them a list. If you are revising from a place of understanding, it will really help you
2. for maths, the best thing is past papers as revision when you have looked over the content. The same style of questions will come up again
3. for languages, use Quizlet for vocab. Often there are already sets available, so if you type in e.g. 'french tourism', you can find words
4. for english, prep different analysis points for each poem/extract, and have an idea of the key themes, and have an idea of how you might write about them. So if one poem has lots of nature imagery, then you might make a bullet point plan for something about how nature is depicted
5. when you revise, I found it really helpful to do 50mins of work and then a 10min break. Put your phone in another room and set a timer
Reply 2
Original post by booklover1313
Which subjects were which grades?
In general:
1. make sure you understand the content as you are learning and revising. If you are reading over some notes or the textbook, write down any questions you have on a post-it note and go and ask the teacher, or email them a list. If you are revising from a place of understanding, it will really help you
2. for maths, the best thing is past papers as revision when you have looked over the content. The same style of questions will come up again
3. for languages, use Quizlet for vocab. Often there are already sets available, so if you type in e.g. 'french tourism', you can find words
4. for english, prep different analysis points for each poem/extract, and have an idea of the key themes, and have an idea of how you might write about them. So if one poem has lots of nature imagery, then you might make a bullet point plan for something about how nature is depicted
5. when you revise, I found it really helpful to do 50mins of work and then a 10min break. Put your phone in another room and set a timer

ok perfect thank you, its english really i need to work on as i got double 5 in lit and lang. i got 7s in comp sci, bio, french, D.T and phys. and 6s in R.E and history
ok perfect thank you, its english really i need to work on as i got double 5 in lit and lang. i got 7s in comp sci, bio, french, D.T and phys. and 6s in R.E and history

I would just practice making bullet point plans, or at least bullet points of the key features for all the texts you get in advance. Then I would also make a list of things to look out for in unseens, so literary devices e.g. enjambement, caesural pauses, metaphors. For biology, go through the textbook and make sure you understand everything. My technique was to read a page of the textbook, or a paragraph, then cover it up and write down what I remembered, and then look and add in what I forgot in a coloured pen. I'm happy to answer any questions, you can pm me anytime! I'm going to pm you with some Quizlet sets that might be useful.
Reply 4
Hello again, thank you so much for the quizlet resources if you dont mind me asking what did you get in french and english GCSE?
Hello again, thank you so much for the quizlet resources if you dont mind me asking what did you get in french and english GCSE?

I got 9s :smile: (sorry for the late reply) Another thing I found really helpful for French was to find a French pen-pall on this website called mylanguageexchange.com, you can find a French teenager learning English and facetime once a week and chat for e.g. 30 mins in English and then 30 mins in French. It really helps with your fluency.

Quick Reply

Latest