The Student Room Group

Contract extension - can it create an atmosphere

Do I have to accept any form of a contractual extension. I feel like I’m being pushed to say yes because I don’t want to upset them so early on. But I can’t stay because I’m not happy here. What do I do. Will it make the hods and head a big bitter
In terms of them pushing for an answer. What do I do?
They simply want a clear answer from you.
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
They simply want a clear answer from you.

could that not make it them go funny though for the remaining time? I know where you’re coming from but sometimes I’ve heard it can change how they act. Well some people have said it could. Plus if I’m planning to complete the contract they could maybe say well she’s not staying. We went out of our way to offer her an extension and now she wants to go, let’s give her some more behavioural issues because we may aswell.
(edited 2 years ago)
No. They’re “pushing” because you aren’t giving them an answer. They need an answer, either way, from you so that they can proceed with recruitment before all of the decent ECTs are snapped up by other schools. The more you prevaricate when you know that you don’t want to stay, the more you’re inconveniencing everyone else.
(edited 2 years ago)
No. They’re “pushing” because you aren’t giving them an answer. They need an answer, either way, from you so that they can proceed with recruitment before all of the decent ECTs are snapped up by other schools. The more you prevaricate when you know that you don’t want to stay, the more you’re inconveniencing everyone else.

I mean the HR dept are the ones granting the extension? So I hardly think if I was inconveniencing them that he would allow me extra time.
Original post by Wheresthecake
I mean the HR dept are the ones granting the extension? So I hardly think if I was inconveniencing them that he would allow me extra time.

I have not the faintest idea what you are going on about here. HR process but do not make hiring decisions.

You are complaining that the school are pressing you for an answer as to whether you want to stay with them but you are also complaining that you don’t want to give them an answer. If you can’t see the connection there and don’t understand why the school need an answer from you, I doubt much that anyone here can help you.
I have not the faintest idea what you are going on about here. HR process but do not make hiring decisions.

You are complaining that the school are pressing you for an answer as to whether you want to stay with them but you are also complaining that you don’t want to give them an answer. If you can’t see the connection there and don’t understand why the school need an answer from you, I doubt much that anyone here can help you.

I can’t quite understand why you don’t read the post? HR are always involved in the hiring PROCESS and created the meeting to speak to me and offer a written contract.
If you don’t wish to provide any solid advice and you’re just here to complain because you have an issue with my post then I suggest you don’t comment. You’re not doing me a favour by commenting.
I think you’re a bit confused about what is going on here… HR haven’t made the decision to offer you an extended contract. Your HT and HoD made that decision. HR now need to know whether you’re accepting the job (so that they can start processing your new contract), or whether you’re rejecting the job (in which case they will start the hiring process to replace you). HR do not make decisions about who is appointed; they simply oversee the administrative side of the hiring process.

My first bit of “solid advice” to you is to stop messing your school about and tell them if you want the job they’re offering or not.

My second bit of “solid advice” is to just take the job.
I think you’re a bit confused about what is going on here… HR haven’t made the decision to offer you an extended contract. Your HT and HoD made that decision. HR now need to know whether you’re accepting the job (so that they can start processing your new contract), or whether you’re rejecting the job (in which case they will start the hiring process to replace you). HR do not make decisions about who is appointed; they simply oversee the administrative side of the hiring process.

My first bit of “solid advice” to you is to stop messing your school about and tell them if you want the job they’re offering or not.

My second bit of “solid advice” is to just take the job.

It’s a shame you work in education and had to be told how to talk to people and you’re unaware of the power certain words can hold.

My advice to you is take a think about how words can actually affect people off screen and the impact they can have. I genuinely think I’d be happy if you didn’t comment on my posts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending